What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Austin is a better 5/8 than Anthony Milford & Mitchell Moses

Tommy Smith

Referee
Milford looked hideous last night
Seems like this is increasingly becoming a race to the bottom, none of these guys are actually remotely as good as anyone thought theyd be
I think Moses is coming along much better than what you're suggesting.

He clearly has the most play making potential of the three and if he matures in both defence and the mind then he could well become world class.

nick87

Coach
Yeah maybe, he certainly looked much better at the back end of last year when he got to the eels
Be interesting to see how his 2018 goes

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah maybe, he certainly looked much better at the back end of last year when he got to the eels
Be interesting to see how his 2018 goes
I think the only way is up.

He looked like a boy on the footy field up until the last 3rd of the season.

But he definitely seems to have matured and he had a great World Cup under Freddy who might pick him for the Blues this year.

It's definitely a big year for Moses.

Clifferd

Coach
Moses was always going to end up the better of the 3, he just needed the right support around him. Not even blokes like Thurston or Cronk would’ve helped the tigers with the teams we’ve plodded out

He nearly carried a woeful Tigers team to the finals in 16’ (one game off) Jarryd Hayne style.

Still reckon hes a dickhead but. A talented dickhead

nick87

Coach
He was basically the Tigers best in 2016, you're really selling him short. He's a brilliant player.

that team was utter trash Tedesco aside, i dont view that as a particularly strong case in his defence :lol:

Every time i turned the tigers on, Moses (and Brooks for that matter) were being targeted mercilessly. The Raiders in particularly basically put 40 per game on the tigers the last 2 years by doing not a lot other than giving Papalii the ball destroying Moses

He's definitely a talented attacking player, but if you set up 2 tries a game and conceded 3, you're not a net positive for your side. Defense still does matter

We'll see how physical Moses is this year, he's still young and has plenty of room to improve his functional strength, and certainly at the tigers, their backrowers and centres were also abysmal defenders so they werent helping Moses.

He does get better protection in the Eels side, but until Moses proves he can make tackles on his goal line when he's isolated, his ceiling is limited to me. If you can't tackle and your costing your team more than you create, im not sure i can say your a good player

Blake Austin has the same issue, except his problems defensively isnt strength, when he makes the right read he can usually hit and stick, he cant read the play defensively is his major problem

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Lockyer couldn't defend in the front line but nobody bags him. I don't understand why Maloney and Moses get attacked by everyone for it.

nick87

Coach
Lockyer couldn't defend in the front line but nobody bags him. I don't understand why Maloney and Moses get attacked by everyone for it.

Lockyer had an good body guard, they did a good job of hiding him. His defense didnt show up often.

Maloney is simply a much better version of Moses, so the fact he cant tackle isnt as big of an issue because if he gives you so much on the other end. Moses doesnt give you what Maloney does and is as bad, if not a worse defender.
That's a problem. If Maloney wasnt as good as he is in attack he'd get the same shit. Moses either needs to be good enough on the other end to create more points than he gives up or learn to tackle.

King hit

Coach
1 bad game and Milford is at the back of the queue, lol

He didn’t deliver last year and hasn’t for quite a while. Hope I get proven wrong but I feel he has fallen victim since people thought he would be Lockyer like after 2015

Billythekid

First Grade
Lockyer had an good body guard, they did a good job of hiding him. His defense didnt show up often.

Maloney is simply a much better version of Moses, so the fact he cant tackle isnt as big of an issue because if he gives you so much on the other end. Moses doesnt give you what Maloney does and is as bad, if not a worse defender.
That's a problem. If Maloney wasnt as good as he is in attack he'd get the same shit. Moses either needs to be good enough on the other end to create more points than he gives up or learn to tackle.

Maloney doesn't let in as many tries as Moses does. Missed tackles is a blanket stat but not all come the same. Maloney tends to race off the line more and when he misses a tackle it doesn't always lead to a try. Plus he at least slows the players down.

Moses often just gets trampled or gets caught with a stray arm out and basically doesn't even slow the attacker down on the way through.

I think he'll get better, in fact he already had but he's still a huge liability in defence.

nick87

Coach
Maloney doesn't let in as many tries as Moses does. Missed tackles is a blanket stat but not all come the same. Maloney tends to race off the line more and when he misses a tackle it doesn't always lead to a try. Plus he at least slows the players down.

Moses often just gets trampled or gets caught with a stray arm out and basically doesn't even slow the attacker down on the way through.

I think he'll get better, in fact he already had but he's still a huge liability in defence.

10000% agree
Maloney is not a good defender, he's bad and as a team you have to work around that (and many have to the tune of premierships) but he's a classic kick chase miss tackle guy... a lot of mistackles on his stat sheet that dont really impact games

Pete Cash

Post Whore
honestly moses has had issues when he was isolated against backrowers but what half hasnt

where austins defence might be the worst in the league as far as decision making and contact goes.