What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie and Mitchell Allgood aren't Nrl material

Bigred2546

Juniors
From what I've seen from Blake Lawrie and Mitchell Allgood they just aren't up to the same standard as the players around them, sure Blake is still only young and hasn't played that many games at the top level, but he seems to just get man handed in defence and you can cook a pig on the spit before he plays the ball. If he sheds abit of weight and puts on some muscle he could become a good ball playing lock, but at the moment he's just not up to it. For Mitchell Allgood he is basically a bigger Jake Marketo and we have a good young prop in Josh Kerr who was impressive in the game against Hull.

Frank Facer

First Grade
From what I've seen from Blake Lawrie and Mitchell Allgood they just aren't up to the same standard as the players around them, sure Blake is still only young and hasn't played that many games at the top level, but he seems to just get man handed in defence and you can cook a pig on the spit before he plays the ball. If he sheds abit of weight and puts on some muscle he could become a good ball playing lock, but at the moment he's just not up to it. For Mitchell Allgood he is basically a bigger Jake Marketo and we have a good young prop in Josh Kerr who was impressive in the game against Hull.
I would add Latimore to the list that just aren't up to it.

TruSaint

Referee

Welcome to the forum ...

:)

Bigred2546

Juniors
Lawrie showed promise last year. Let's get the season rolling before we relegate some of these young guys to the scrap heap.
I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, I'm just saying he needs to work on his fitness and strength so he doesn't keep getting man handled in defence, also getting the stupid penalties and errors out of his game would help. Another year with the Cutters would be very beneficial for him.

Dragsters

First Grade
I think Latimore is a solid back up, not sold on Allgood though.

Lawrie and Kerr are both works in progress at this point with the Kerr outperforming Lawrie against Hull in the short stints they both only had.

At this point there is only room for perhaps one of them to break onto the bench anyhow...

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Bit harsh on Lawrie he's only just turned 21 (this month) and is a work in progrrss. Comparison to Coen Hess who was making the same mistakes as Lawrie when he started, dropped balls etc
Lawrie wont hit his straps for at least another season or two and like Paul Green did with Hess give him a taste so he knows the requirements and you can see where he is now playing SOO.
I believe Lawrie will be a premier prop in 2 or 3 years time given the right execution of his development.
Allgood 28 and Latimore 31 are just 1yr fill-ins only.

Bigred2546

Juniors
Bit harsh on Lawrie he's only just turned 21 (this month) and is a work in progrrss. Comparison to Coen Hess who was making the same mistakes as Lawrie when he started, dropped balls etc
Lawrie wont hit his straps for at least another season or two and like Paul Green did with Hess give him a taste so he knows the requirements and you can see where he is now playing SOO.
I believe Lawrie will be a premier prop in 2 or 3 years time given the right execution of his development.
Allgood 28 and Latimore 31 are just 1yr fill-ins only.
I see what you're saying, but you can't compare Blake Lawrie with Coen Hess, two completely different talents and body's

Old Timer

Coach
I see what you're saying, but you can't compare Blake Lawrie with Coen Hess, two completely different talents and body's
You are correct re Allgood he is the tofu in a chilly crab dish merely filling.
Lawrie is a different kettle of fish and needs some more time for us to be able to assess where he might end up.
I would like to see how he goes if he gets run over the top of by a rampaging GI or Sam Burgeess or Scott etc and then see what happens in other words does he take the bit between his teeth and back straight up for the next tackle on them?
We need to know if he has the hard edge needed to be able to make it which is part of my concern with Leilua is he actually hard enough?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I think Latimore is a solid back up, not sold on Allgood though.

Lawrie and Kerr are both works in progress at this point with the Kerr outperforming Lawrie against Hull in the short stints they both only had.

At this point there is only room for perhaps one of them to break onto the bench anyhow...

Dragsters agree
I think kerr will have a run in first grade by mid year off the bench.
But by 2019 he will take over from guys like LAM.
Kerr is 197cm
107kg and 22
Lawrie is 184cm
106kg and 21
luc
186 cm
116kg 21
These guy are young for forwards and really want peak for at least 2 or3 years.
So will be interesting to see how they go.
Kerr is training very hard and is on the improve. He was good enough for bellamy and the storm to bring him down for qld.
So I reckon he will be good. imo

jak

Bench
ok ill let them no.

kit66

Bench
I have a feeling Kerr will play regularly off the bench this year, he just has a look about him and carries himself like a natural first grader. I hear also that he's been very impressive in the lower grades and junior rep teams. Wouldn't mind if he bulked up a bit as well, looks like he could handle the extra weight / muscle.
Lawrie played OK in his limited appearances in 1sts last year but I remember one game he looked absolutely shattered an struggled to get back onside. Hardly cause for concern though, he'll toughen up as he must. He's another who's been carefully nurtured through the system and has risen to the top. If he didn't have potential he wouldn't be in the squad.
Latimore is good for depth and wouldn't let us down if he gets a run, I liked his efforts last time he was here.
Good price too I bet.

BrissyRedV

Bench
It's very rare to see a prop in the early 20s step up and instantly become a success in 1st grade. Many don't peak until their late 20s. Lawrie needs the time to develop that requires some patience. Kerr a year older, is further down the development track and I have no doubt, will make his 1st grade debut this year. He also needs time and patience to develop.

possm

Coach
It's very hard to judge on a first up performance. Each would have come off pre-season training with different levels of fitness. I think generally, Allgood, Latimore, Lawrie and Kerr are back up props for season 2018. On performance during the trial against Hull, I'd say that Kerr looked fit and performed the best.

I think first up, Sims will play prop off the bench with Host starting in Thompson's second row spot although, Sims did not seem to play that well in the trial.

JDHD

Juniors
It's a little disconcerting when the best player out of Latimore, Allgood, Lawrie and Sele was the one in his 30s named Jeremy