What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie and Mitchell Allgood aren't Nrl material

Redhoopz

Juniors
I agree.

But if we’re trting to develop the likes of Luc, Host and Sele, that’s hardly gong to happen if we’re giving away their FG minutes to a 30 year old journeyman.

Always hard with McGregor, he tends to pick and stick with his favourites. Maybe someone has had a word with him or he's changing his ways and will look to youth and give them a chance.....or that's just wishful thinking.

The Dragons need to invest in their youth and there's no better time than now with the current crop of players coming through.

Uplifting

Juniors
Lawrie looked frustrated with his couple of slip-ups, but that’s probably because he’s so revved to peaking this year after a good offseason.

Allgood was the one running angled runs off Hunt which I found surprising. They were set plays and were defended against well, but maybe he has some smarts. Looked good in defence but maybe not exactly a powerhouse in attack.

Kerr looked good though I agree. He came on late and made some good carries.

Sele looked up to it again, mobile in defence and strong carries.

BennyV

Referee
I agree.

But if we’re trting to develop the likes of Luc, Host and Sele, that’s hardly gong to happen if we’re giving away their FG minutes to a 30 year old journeyman.
While that’s true, we also want to win games and an unbalanced bench doesn’t help that. Sims to prop, Host starting and Luc getting some backrow minutes is what fits best.

Sele, unfortunately, will be stuck behind JDB for some time and unless we are running with a 4 forward bench, I’m not sure he fits in our Top 17. Which sucks, he will be a very, very good player in time.

giboz71

First Grade
While that’s true, we also want to win games and an unbalanced bench doesn’t help that. Sims to prop, Host starting and Luc getting some backrow minutes is what fits best.

Sele, unfortunately, will be stuck behind JDB for some time and unless we are running with a 4 forward bench, I’m not sure he fits in our Top 17. Which sucks, he will be a very, very good player in time.

All is solved if Host starts.

Then you can have Luc and Sele on the bench along with LAM and Sims.

But they keep trying to make Sims an edge player when he is far better off in the middle.

BennyV

Referee

But they keep trying to make Sims an edge player when he is far better off in the middle.
He hasnt been the same on the edge since he broke his leg way back when.
He was solid there at the back of last year but was far more effective off the bench as a prop.

But based on the CS squad, Host has fallen down the order. Looks like we'll see Sims on the edge with Sele and Leilua on the bench!

getsmarty

Immortal

Agree BennyV although Sele often gets caught out one on one in defense...Something that he needs to improve upon.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Agree BennyV although Sele often gets caught out one on one in defense...Something that he needs to improve upon.
There’s many parallels between Sele and JDB - hard-hitting, ball-playing locks, both amongst the best forwards in their age group as juniors, both a bit jittery on their entrance to first grade, both played as props by moronic coaches due to being stuck behind rep-level locks...I wonder how (and where) Sele will end up!!

Dragon66

Juniors

The only problem with this solution is that the bench should contain one utility play.

I have no problem with Host starting, Simms starting in the middle from the bench, along with Ahmau, and Luc as an impact weapon.
But my preference is to see Mann start in the centres, with Aitken on the bench so he can play some meaningful minutes as an interchange..
The way Aitken plays, his style can adapt to multiple positions. Rugged defence and strong running.

I know it won't happen under McGregor and Mann will most likely warm the bench again.
Sele will have to wait for the inevitable injury before staking a claim for a permanent spot in the team.

giboz71

First Grade
The only problem with this solution is that the bench should contain one utility play.

I have no problem with Host starting, Simms starting in the middle from the bench, along with Ahmau, and Luc as an impact weapon.
But my preference is to see Mann start in the centres, with Aitken on the bench so he can play some meaningful minutes as an interchange..
The way Aitken plays, his style can adapt to multiple positions. Rugged defence and strong running.

I know it won't happen under McGregor and Mann will most likely warm the bench again.
Sele will have to wait for the inevitable injury before staking a claim for a permanent spot in the team.

I like the idea of Aitken off the bench as well. The more versatility in the 17 the better I say. Mann starting at centre or wing and Aitlen as the utility who can slot into the forwards or backs give us that.

But I agree, Mann will likely warm the bench in Round 1 unless he has a blinder at centre this weekend.

Eastview

Juniors
Can anyone please tell me what the obsession is with Lawrie? I'm the first to admit i haven't seen much of him but what I have seen reminds me of George Rose (The Melborne/Dragons version). Reminds me nothing of Blocker Roach