What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bombers 2018 Rumour

Tigers1986

Juniors
It needs to be a careful venture if it does go ahead because for all intensive purposes the Crushers expansion was meant to appease those who disliked the Broncos and wanted to follow a first grade side in the national competition. The Crushers was an absolute failure of a franchise and is a blight on the game.

The team, if created, needs a unique identity. South Queensland Stallions, playing out of QSAC stadium (the old ANZ stadium). You'd capture the anti-Broncos whilst opening up to the entire South Queensland region. South Queensland, Brisbane, Gold Coast to faciliate the Queenslanders need for teams, with the Cowboys up north.

I can see expansion hitting us up to 20 teams over a 5-year period, with Perth and NZ2 coming in first, followed by South Qld & Central Coast 2 years later.

bobmar28

Bench
If a second Brisbane team is admitted, it really should be an existing QRL team with a history and an established fanbase. It also shouldn't be called "Brisbane". How ridiculous was it when the Roosters, Bulldogs and Tigers all called themselves "Sydney". Why couldn't the Redcliffe Dolphins be the second team from Brisbane?

How about Ipswich Jets?

pHyR3

Juniors
never liked the brisbane bombers name.

South Queensland Scorpions is pretty good.

Dont mind the Ipswich Jets either.

Why can't we have an aussie animal for a change? South Queensland Kookaurra's, echidna's, dingo's, Clydesdale's, platypus, wombats,

Canard

Immortal
BRL have virtually zero cache with anyone under 40.

By picking an old team you would only alienate those over 40s that didn't support those teams.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
BRL have virtually zero cache with anyone under 40.

By picking an old team you would only alienate those over 40s that didn't support those teams.

People just love these bits of history....

South Sydney is a perfect example of this. All of their great moments were from before most current fans were born, but they still sell themselves on these stories because people just love that kind of culture in their club.

It doesnt matter if if only a hand full of people today actually care about an old BRL team, given a good bit of marketing they will make people care and make people want to be part of that history.

Nuke

Staff member
Brisvegas Aces.

... and yes, that's a joke, but so is the name 'Brisbane Bombers'.

spoonman

Juniors
I really can't understand the hate for the Bombers franchise.
They are the only predominate bid IMO.
What has the Brothers/diehards bid done in comparison to the Bombers bid? No Sarcasm... I am genuinely curious what the other bids have done to deserve to be the next team in the NRL in comparison to the Bombers bid?
I have no affiliation to either bid but I am following the race closely to because I really want a second Team in Brisbane. And the Bombers seem to be marketing their dates off to get their bid up and running. But I can't see anything the Brothers bid has done to even get in the public eye... in comparison to the bombers bid?

People may hate the name but I remember the "Broncos" name being to 'Americanized' when it was first mentioned... now nobody really cares.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I really can't understand the hate for the Bombers franchise.
They are the only predominate bid IMO.
What has the Brothers/diehards bid done in comparison to the Bombers bid? No Sarcasm... I am genuinely curious what the other bids have done to deserve to be the next team in the NRL in comparison to the Bombers bid?
I have no affiliation to either bid but I am following the race closely to because I really want a second Team in Brisbane. And the Bombers seem to be marketing their dates off to get their bid up and running. But I can't see anything the Brothers bid has done to even get in the public eye... in comparison to the bombers bid?

People may hate the name but I remember the "Broncos" name being to 'Americanized' when it was first mentioned... now nobody really cares.

When it comes to new teams, the only difference between each bid is their brand/image and their location. Everything else (employees, business structure, etc.) can all be changed depending on what the ARLC or any new owner wants.....

And their brand is shit.

spoonman

Juniors
When it comes to new teams, the only difference between each bid is their brand/image and their location. Everything else (employees, business structure, etc.) can all be changed depending on what the ARLC or any new owner wants.....

And their brand is shit.

Their brand clearly has a difference of opinion, but to say that there is no difference between the Brisbane bids (apart from "brand/image") is an interesting thing to say. The Bombers seem to becoming from a business/corporate angle where the Brothers are community based... sounds like to me that there is a vast difference between the two business models... not just the "brand/image".
Also are you saying that once a successful bid has been approved the ARLC are going to come in, take over and change the structure to suit themselves?
Really?!?
I am truly interested in what the Brothers bid have done to win over the hearts and minds of Brisbane to become a worthy 2nd team?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Their brand clearly has a difference of opinion, but to say that there is no difference between the Brisbane bids (apart from "brand/image") is an interesting thing to say. The Bombers seem to becoming from a business/corporate angle where the Brothers are community based... sounds like to me that there is a vast difference between the two business models... not just the "brand/image".

Im not suggesting the current business structures arent different, but business structure and brand are not mutually dependent....

- Bombers may have the best business plan and their brand may be hated.
- The Brothers may have a terrible business plan and their Brand may be loved.
The ARLC doesnt need to just pick one or the other, they can blend the best parts of each (Bomber people on the Board and running the franchise, with a few Bothers seats on the board in exchange for the rights to the brand)

This thread seems mostly to argue over each clubs branding (which if great), but we shouldnt assume the business behind each of these will always be the way they are now.....

Also are you saying that once a successful bid has been approved the ARLC are going to come in, take over and change the structure to suit themselves?
Really?!?

They have shown that this is something they want to do with the current teams, and that is with all of the conservative factions...

A new team would be dead easy to set up as they want because these bids have nothing to threaten. If they say no to an ARLC demand, the Commission can just move on to the next lot.

Honestly, i reckon its most likely that none of these bids will be taken and the ARLC will just cherrypick the best people from each group.

I am truly interested in what the Brothers bid have done to win over the hearts and minds of Brisbane to become a worthy 2nd team?

Its an old brand with a lot of recognition and history (the Valley Diehards would be comparable)....

Compare that to the Bombers who have a lot of negatives (little differentiation for the Bronx and an obvious reference to the VFL team).

The ARLC may choose the Bombers as the next club or they may pick some other new name, but these clubs will have to spend +20 years in the community just to get to where the Brothers are now....

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
People just love these bits of history....

South Sydney is a perfect example of this. All of their great moments were from before most current fans were born, but they still sell themselves on these stories because people just love that kind of culture in their club.

It doesnt matter if if only a hand full of people today actually care about an old BRL team, given a good bit of marketing they will make people care and make people want to be part of that history.

South Sydney, bar 2 years though, never left. They have kept the brand alive. But the real issue is that they were NEVER trying to have broad appeal to all of Sydney and NSW.

Making yourself too niche is a mistake. The new team has to appeal to all of Brisbane and SEQ.

Port Adelaide in the AFL has been a huge failure. Yes they have got a bump in the last year by good onfield results and the opening of a new stadium, but they made themselves so niche that they were virtually bankrupt by 2013. All the fans of other SAFL clubs hated them so much they didn't bother supporting them even if they disliked the Crows.

The Brisbane Bombers certainly do produce a lot of merchandise though.

Got their new branded hoodies out for winter at the moment.

Previously had all manner of caps, t-shirts and balls that routinely update.

Interesting.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
South Sydney, bar 2 years though, never left. They have kept the brand alive. But the real issue is that they were NEVER trying to have broad appeal to all of Sydney and NSW.

Making yourself too niche is a mistake. The new team has to appeal to all of Brisbane and SEQ.

Port Adelaide in the AFL has been a huge failure. Yes they have got a bump in the last year by good onfield results and the opening of a new stadium, but they made themselves so niche that they were virtually bankrupt by 2013. All the fans of other SAFL clubs hated them so much they didn't bother supporting them even if they disliked the Crows.

I do agree, but at the same time they cant let themselves become too broad either....

Sport is dependent on the "Us v Them" mentality (its basically the last acceptable kind of bigotry ;-) ). If a team tries to be everything to everyone (eg, the VFLs GWS/canberra/nsw/china Giants). Then compare that to Origin; it is by far the biggest rivalry in the country, and each team goes out of its way to talk shit about the millions of people from the other state.

The next Brisbane team needs to differentiate itself from the Broncos and actively alienate those fans for the entertainment of their own (that will benefit both teams). The best way to create a point of difference is for the 2nd SEQLD team to be from the old BRL comp. They would represent everything the Broncos are not; grassroots (even if that is only a superficial image), non-corporate, historic.

- for a fan that doesnt care for the BRL or the Brothers, there is nothing gained or lost by using the brand
- If there is a fan that loved the BRL (even if they werent a Brothers fan), they would still appreciate the throwback.
- If there is a fan that actively hates the Brothers, GOOD!!! love and hate are equally valuable to a team. Inspiring no emotion at all is the worst place for a team to be.....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Apart from the afl link of Bombers I think their brand is pretty good. Nice colours with the blue and silver. Cool old school airforce type imagery being used.

I'd also have to say of all the bids they look like the only one with any serious corporate clout. Titans have shown the idea there are millions in corporate $'s in the region to be had is a myth and the nrl are conservative and want any bid to be financially strong and at the least able to stand on its own feet ASAP. At the moment the Bombers are far ahead of any of the Brisbane bids IMO.

Latest posts