What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bombers 2018 Rumour

hellteam

First Grade
I do agree, but at the same time they cant let themselves become too broad either....

Sport is dependent on the "Us v Them" mentality (its basically the last acceptable kind of bigotry ;-) ). If a team tries to be everything to everyone (eg, the VFLs GWS/canberra/nsw/china Giants). Then compare that to Origin; it is by far the biggest rivalry in the country, and each team goes out of its way to talk shit about the millions of people from the other state.

The next Brisbane team needs to differentiate itself from the Broncos and actively alienate those fans for the entertainment of their own (that will benefit both teams). The best way to create a point of difference is for the 2nd SEQLD team to be from the old BRL comp. They would represent everything the Broncos are not; grassroots (even if that is only a superficial image), non-corporate, historic.

- for a fan that doesnt care for the BRL or the Brothers, there is nothing gained or lost by using the brand
- If there is a fan that loved the BRL (even if they werent a Brothers fan), they would still appreciate the throwback.
- If there is a fan that actively hates the Brothers, GOOD!!! love and hate are equally valuable to a team. Inspiring no emotion at all is the worst place for a team to be.....

Agree, I like your points.

I think using the name South Qld would be good.

South Qld Diehards
South Qld Brothers

I like them both.

Still shaking my head how anyone can think "Bombers" is a good idea. It is wrong on so many levels.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Agree, I like your points.

I think using the name South Qld would be good.

South Qld Diehards
South Qld Brothers

I like them both.

Still shaking my head how anyone can think "Bombers" is a good idea. It is wrong on so many levels

IIRC they picked it back in 2010ish, when people actually cared about the NRL v VFL "War". I reckon it was meant to get fans onside by saying 'f*ckyou' to the Viccys.

I dont really think it was worked...

hellteam

First Grade
It's so stupid. I thought it had something to do with the sponsor supplying army provisions? Something like that. It's terrible anyway.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Ive always felt like snakes would be great: The Browns, The Redbellies, etc....

Or the Bluetoungue. That could be cool.

this.
the Brisbane Browns.
A king brown or eastern brown snake as the mascot.
perfect and very marketable

The Great Dane

First Grade
I do agree, but at the same time they cant let themselves become too broad either....

Sport is dependent on the "Us v Them" mentality (its basically the last acceptable kind of bigotry ;-) ). If a team tries to be everything to everyone (eg, the VFLs GWS/canberra/nsw/china Giants). Then compare that to Origin; it is by far the biggest rivalry in the country, and each team goes out of its way to talk shit about the millions of people from the other state.

The next Brisbane team needs to differentiate itself from the Broncos and actively alienate those fans for the entertainment of their own (that will benefit both teams). The best way to create a point of difference is for the 2nd SEQLD team to be from the old BRL comp. They would represent everything the Broncos are not; grassroots (even if that is only a superficial image), non-corporate, historic.

- for a fan that doesnt care for the BRL or the Brothers, there is nothing gained or lost by using the brand
- If there is a fan that loved the BRL (even if they werent a Brothers fan), they would still appreciate the throwback.
- If there is a fan that actively hates the Brothers, GOOD!!! love and hate are equally valuable to a team. Inspiring no emotion at all is the worst place for a team to be.....

I completely agree with all of what you have said, I just wanted to add that they don't need to use an old BRL brand to build the image of being the antithesis of what the Broncos are, as long as they promote strong links to the grass roots, show that they actively listen to their fans (especially when it comes to the clubs brand and image), aren't all about the bottom line, they (especially the players) spend heaps of time in among the grassroots and they aren't afraid to fire some potshots at the Broncos, then they should be able to build that image as long as they have a good marketing and advertising team,.

However I agree that taking a popular BRL brand would be one of the easier ways to get the image of anti-corporation and Broncos establishment, I just wanted to point out that taking a BRL brand isn't the only way to do that.

I also wanted to add to the bold that if they are hated by certain parts of the community then those parts of the community will become more endeared to the Broncos (or other teams) and that they will be more likely to consume NRL products just out of hatred of the second Brisbane team and a will to be part of their downfall.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Browns is good but I think they should stay away from the "BB" alliteration. Maybe south qld browns

South Brisbane Browns = SBB, West Brisbane Browns= WBB, East Brisbane Browns= EBB, etc, etc. The name doesn't need to be the Brisbane whatever to use Brisbane in the name.

South Queensland is one of those names that is too broad, it represents everybody and nobody all at once. It's a neutral name which inspires no emotions, which makes it a terrible name for a football team.

hellteam

First Grade
I'm not so sure, people are pretty passionate about qld, and I think people from Ipswich/Toowoomba etc would identify more with south qld than Brisbane

THE CHAMP

First Grade
sorry just read tgd post.
south Brisbane browns sounds great to me.
I'm astounded that they are persisting with the bombers branding
haven't seen much positive support for it in here.
this is what happens when you surround yourself with yes men davison

Card Shark

Immortal
Everything in the bid might be fantastic but if they go with the Bombers name, it will crash land.

Bit like the Titans.

Galeforce

Bench
A second NRL city club should follow the example of the Sydney Wanderers.
HAve a clear target area of the city , work with that area supporters for colours/name .Is the idea to expand one of the existing Brisbane rugby league clubs or just to create a new club in Brisbane ?

I prefer concentrate on Perth (Miners) team , future Adelaide team (oilers) and NT team (the crocs) , another Qld area team Cairns Stingrays or Rockhampton rockies. As for Brisbane ( the Reds or Baracoodas)

Latest posts