What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

boring boring boring

super_coach

First Grade
Iam sure the fact that the majority of the eight is already settled and their are half a dozen teams that season is already over has a big effect on crowd numbers but the bomb and wrestle is killing the game.The Nrl has to do something fast,okay I dont want to see teams winning 48 to 46, but I also want to see some smart last tackle options as apposed to the bomb

HowHigh

Coach
Iam sure the fact that the majority of the eight is already settled and their are half a dozen teams that season is already over has a big effect on crowd numbers but the bomb and wrestle is killing the game.The Nrl has to do something fast,okay I dont want to see teams winning 48 to 46, but I also want to see some smart last tackle options as apposed to the bomb
Such as?
A grubber kick?

Snappy

Coach
Shut up. You're probably an Eels fan.

Well havent you quickly turned into a Grade A Merkin.

Went from neutral supporter to full blown Roosters fan in less than a month of joining, and now trying to rubbish peoples opinion based on the club they support. Pretty easy to join a forum when your team in flying and be a smug prick. Where were you last few years when roosters were bottom 4 ?

Apey

Staff member
Talking up Pearce and shitting on Dragons players in the interstate forum...

kmav23

Juniors
good points...

some games are so boring... no attack ....just waiting for the other team to knock on....

lockyno1

Post Whore
Honestly, there are a few ways to improve it (I do want them trialled towards the end of the season though)

1. You kick it for a try, you DON'T get a conversion. You have already taken the easy option to kick, you don't get a conversion.

2. If you run it in for a try, the conversion is taken from between the posts (regardless of where the try is scored)

3. 40/20 kicks can be taken at any point..all to the equivalent of 40 metres...so you can kick it inside your 10, and find touch over halfway- new set. This will do a few things but mainly the fullback is always out of the defensive line and that is a good thing as it encourages running football.

Paullyboy

Coach
If you watch the same old boring bulldogs/eels/dragons/roosters/rabbitohs type teams you are going to see a rubbish game.

Seems to be a Sydney thing actually...

The NRL wonder why their crowds are down, Gus says its all about to many weak playing rosters, others says its all about cost and I say because the game has become boring.

Todays big game, every set the same,five runs and a bomb. Both sides played the same game plan,grind away than bomb away. It was like watching paint dry and it is typical of how most games are played out these days.

The people who make the rules have to come up with a rule that makes the bomb not the percentage play. I know this subject has been done to death,but we will kill the game if we dont address the problem. Its so refreshing to see a team like the warriors actually try and run the ball over the line.

We had great crowds in 2005, when the tigers and cowboys would attack from anywhere, be great to see teams forced to actually construct some last tackle plays.

Anyway if they dont,AFL,the A league and even rugby might swallow them up

I disagree. Firstly, you always get 1 or 2 awful matches per round, but you also get 1 or 2 v.good ones. Most are somewhere in the middle. Secondly soccer is a stupid game, stupid laws as to what is a free-kick and what isn't etc. And don't get me started on r.union.

Furthermore, as with the Broncos v Dragons Rd.25(I think) match in 2010, it was said they cancelled each other out, I disagree with that too, the reason todays Knights match wasn't good, like the 2010 one I just mentioned, is because the teams don't want to give a future Finals opponent real time practice against all their plays and style; so they just play their very basics.

You should have watched the Warriors v Storm today, v.good it was. Look at the classics we've had in the Finals series over recent years.

Also appreciate good defence, and besides, I don't really want to see teams trying to score with every set of six.

Regards AFL and soccer, I don't know how ppl can watch other team sports if they have either of those two at the top of their "favourites", in AFL you've got to be prepared and accept men at times looking like 10 year old children on the playground chasing after a ball. And the vast majority of Man.U supporters don't follow soccer, it's just a tribal thing that's been brainwashed into them. I bet they don't watch any other team.

Rugby League ppl follow RL, which helps prove to me that it's the best sport on the planet.

Paullyboy

Coach
i would hardly say we're boring in general..

There are obviously exceptions, but generally games involving the roosters become a snooze fest as teams get involved in a wrestle. It's effective as they clearly do well, but as a neutral fan of the game - wrestle style defenses are doing more to kill rugby league than AFL/union combined.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Too many night games for mine. A dry Sunday afternoon on a fast pitch makes it tempting to throw the ball around and open games up. Now it's all about ball security and grinding out field position.

Probably these night games are another reason crowds are dropping off.

bobmar28

Bench
The bomb is the best part of the game.
You know what is boring? Having 9 teams in Sydney. What we have is a hybrid game, half Sydney suburban competition with 7 token national teams.
Ban the bomb? Now that would be boring.

Lambretta

First Grade
Crowds are falling since the glory days of 2005? Like f**k are they

2005 average = 16,468
2006 average = 15,600
2007 average = 15,750
2008 average = 15,591
2009 average = 16,069
2010 average = 16,406
2011 average = 16,273
2012 average = 16,423
2013 average = 15,793

The average crowds for 2010, 2011 & 2012 were almost identical to 2005 and that was without the Bronocs being hugely successful and packing out their stadium every week.

The 2013 figures are a down by a few hundred, but we're heading towards the business end of the season where huge blockbuster games always drag the averages up.

Stop talking the game down with absolute bullshit. There was a great crowd at Hunter Stadium to watch that game yesterday and whilst it wasn't line breaks a plenty it was hard fought and until the last few minutes it was close.

It was a damn sight more entertaining than watching one team score great tries against a clueless team like we had to sit through on Friday night.

Had Nine televised the Warriors v Storm game you'd have been creaming your knickers. Oh and try telling Sharks fans the game is boring with the way Carney is playing atm.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
why the hell does everyone associated with league jump to change the rules every 5 seconds

I wager there is no other professional sport in the world where a rule will be changed in the MIDDLE OF THE FRIGGIN SEASON

it's not only amateurish it leads to an unbalanced competition

I put it all down to the constant paranoia that Rugby League is somehow not the greatest sport in the world, as if that even matters

betcats

Referee
I agree, I've got mates who barely watch League any more. It is f**king boring for the most part.

Rosetta

Juniors
Teams hold down to allow there d line to get set at the required 10m mark.

Pretty obvious what needs to be looked at.

Yeap, there are two options.

Bring the defensive line closer and penalise wrestling/holding down into the ground OR cull the interchange system back to what it was when the 10 metre rule was initially brought in. (4 substitutes/replacements)

The wrestling never ceases under the current rules.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'm about to go topball.

Reduce the teams to 12 a side and see what it will do to attacking play. The players these days are supreme athletes and defensively are able to cover more metres than yesteryear. Give attackers a little more space and the ball may stay in the hand rather than up in the air via a kick.

A huge step yes but so was going to limited tackle and the ten metre rule.