What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring Back The Daytime Grand Final!!

What time would you prefer the NRL Grand Final to Kickoff

• 3:00pm

• 5:00pm

• 7:30pm

Results are only viewable after voting.

Diesel

Referee
Just got this reply. I asked about twilight GF's and they responded to daytime GF's, which sounds like a no.

I take it that broadcasters are more important than fans

Hi xxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I have registered your comments and they will be available for our review.

We understand that the later timeslot doesn't suit everyone.

In regards to the Grand Final, match scheduling is always a tough balancing act as we try to cater for the needs of our various stakeholders, all with different priorities. Our aim has to be to reach the maximum number of fans so we can promote and grow our game.

We do respect your views on wanting the Sunday afternoon timeslot and we do our very best to please all of our stakeholders.

In regards to your queries relating to the broadcasters, it is important to know that our these broadcasters have invested significant amounts for this right and this funding is what underpins the clubs and enables us to develop all facets of the game, from the elite levels through to the grass-roots.

Thanks again for taking the time to raise your opinions with us.

Kind regards,

xxxxx
Supporter Liaison

NRL Feedback

T: +61 2 9359 8500
M:
E: feedback@nrl.com.au
W: nrl.com

National Rugby League Limited
Rugby League Central, Driver Avenue
Moore Park NSW 2021
Locked Bag 5000, Paddington NSW 2021

Stallion

First Grade
Just got this reply. I asked about twilight GF's and they responded to daytime GF's, which sounds like a no.

I take it that broadcasters are more important than fans

Hi xxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I have registered your comments and they will be available for our review.

We understand that the later timeslot doesn't suit everyone.

In regards to the Grand Final, match scheduling is always a tough balancing act as we try to cater for the needs of our various stakeholders, all with different priorities. Our aim has to be to reach the maximum number of fans so we can promote and grow our game.

We do respect your views on wanting the Sunday afternoon timeslot and we do our very best to please all of our stakeholders.

In regards to your queries relating to the broadcasters, it is important to know that our these broadcasters have invested significant amounts for this right and this funding is what underpins the clubs and enables us to develop all facets of the game, from the elite levels through to the grass-roots.

Thanks again for taking the time to raise your opinions with us.

Kind regards,

xxxxx
Supporter Liaison

NRL Feedback

T: +61 2 9359 8500
M:
E: feedback@nrl.com.au
W: nrl.com

National Rugby League Limited
Rugby League Central, Driver Avenue
Moore Park NSW 2021
Locked Bag 5000, Paddington NSW 2021

If they were concerned about all fans then do the little kids count? A twighlight gf woukd enable all age groups to enjoy from 6 and upwards. Seems to work for another code that is going forward? Very short sighted response!

Last edited:

no name

Coach
'A tough balancing act'
Is a polite way to say 'f**k what fans say/want, we're gonna take the money.'

Stallion

First Grade
'A tough balancing act'
Is a polite way to say 'f**k what fans say/want, we're gonna take the money.'

Actually think the money thing is on false pretences!? Surely if another code is getting higher ratings for daytime grandfinals then this would generate more money from advertisers?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The key is dopey, all your blessed 6 year olds who are supposedly watching your shit sport afl have no buying power. Advertisers are interested in the age brackets of those who spend money, so if a few 6 year olds are nigh nighs but more 20 year olds are watching the nrl it works out better for them, the nrl and the networks to have it at night.

Stallion

First Grade
The key is dopey, all your blessed 6 year olds who are supposedly watching your shit sport afl have no buying power. Advertisers are interested in the age brackets of those who spend money, so if a few 6 year olds are nigh nighs but more 20 year olds are watching the nrl it works out better for them, the nrl and the networks to have it at night.[/QUOTE

Absolute dropkick from your first sentence! I'm more a rugby league fan than you will ever be! The youngsters, just like I did, are exposed and become familiar with footy at an early age. You just don't get it do u? The 'training run ' development people know this and dodos like you cant see it!?

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
If they were concerned about all fans then do the little kids count? A twighlight gf woukd enable all age groups to enjoy from 6 and upwards. Seems to work for another code that is going forward? Very short sighted response!
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIMAAAAJDc0OTlmMGJmLWMwZGUtNDlmYS05Mzc4LTM0NjIzMjAyNDZhZg.jpg

ReddFelon

Juniors
The problem is that it doesn't rate better.

The last two seasons daytime grand finals of another code has easily out rated night time grand finals.

And funnily enough that particular code is experiencing increased ratings and participation whereas rugby league is stagnating or going backwards?

This yer the Adelaide/Richmond GF had 110,000 more viewers than Melbourne/North Queensland. Just so we're clear the most popular South Australian team and one of the most popular Melbourne teams only pulled 110,000 more viewers than two of the smallest teams in terms of supporters. 110,000 is almost nothing, when you consider that the total viewership for the grand final was 3.39 million while the AFL was 3.5 million. You're making it sound like the NRL were struggling to pull a million, they weren't. Atr the end of the year when they list out the highest rated broadcasts you're going to see the AFL followed immediately by the NRL GF and all three games of Origin. For the record last year's NRL GF scored 3.6 million beating this year's AFL final. The night time NRL finals get higher ratings than day time NRL finals, why you think putting it on earlier will somehow beat out the AFL grand final is beyond me, maybe you'd do better realising that the AFL has a national footprint in all major population centres excluding Tasmania and the NT, while the NRL only has a presence in 3 major states, 1 territory + a small part of NZ's population.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This yer the Adelaide/Richmond GF had 110,000 more viewers than Melbourne/North Queensland. Just so we're clear the most popular South Australian team and one of the most popular Melbourne teams only pulled 110,000 more viewers than two of the smallest teams in terms of supporters. 110,000 is almost nothing, when you consider that the total viewership for the grand final was 3.39 million while the AFL was 3.5 million. You're making it sound like the NRL were struggling to pull a million, they weren't. Atr the end of the year when they list out the highest rated broadcasts you're going to see the AFL followed immediately by the NRL GF and all three games of Origin. For the record last year's NRL GF scored 3.6 million beating this year's AFL final. The night time NRL finals get higher ratings than day time NRL finals, why you think putting it on earlier will somehow beat out the AFL grand final is beyond me, maybe you'd do better realising that the AFL has a national footprint in all major population centres excluding Tasmania and the NT, while the NRL only has a presence in 3 major states, 1 territory + a small part of NZ's population.

Would a 6pm kick off work for tv and fans? At the ground by 6pm the sun had gone behind the stand so no problems frying or camera wise.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Would a 6pm kick off work for tv and fans? At the ground by 6pm the sun had gone behind the stand so no problems frying or camera wise.

I think it would be fine for 6pm, the main thing they have to consider is how to structure the musical acts to that they aren't relying on pyrotechnics and light set ups because those look bad in daylight. Of course if the NRL is serious about improving TV ratings the simple reality is they need a team in Perth and a team in Adelaide. There's 4.3 million potential viewers going to waste, and while stats show that WA and SA have increased viewership for the NRL GF and Origin, they're still much smaller than they would be if they had a team to help generate interest over the course of a season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think it would be fine for 6pm, the main thing they have to consider is how to structure the musical acts to that they aren't relying on pyrotechnics and light set ups because those look bad in daylight. Of course if the NRL is serious about improving TV ratings the simple reality is they need a team in Perth and a team in Adelaide. There's 4.3 million potential viewers going to waste, and while stats show that WA and SA have increased viewership for the NRL GF and Origin, they're still much smaller than they would be if they had a team to help generate interest over the course of a season.

You'd think so! Look at Melbourne, gone from virtually nothing to tv attendance nearly matching Sydney and Brisbane (of course storm init helps!)

The games lack of regular exposure and interest in WA and SA probably costs around 250k on the gf tv audience at least.

ReddFelon

Juniors
You'd think so! Look at Melbourne, gone from virtually nothing to tv attendance nearly matching Sydney and Brisbane (of course storm init helps!)

The games lack of regular exposure and interest in WA and SA probably costs around 250k on the gf tv audience at least.

250k sounds about right, a huge number of people in both states who like the sport but have difficulty keeping interest without a local team.

Stallion

First Grade

Your figures are questionable. Roy Morgan survey tells a far different story. About 1.9million more viewed the 'training run'. For peace of mind I might believe the lower difference. Nevertheless the fact many younger children are being exposed to a certain code due to its earlier timeslot should be a concern for diligent development people within the NRL.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Your figures are questionable. Roy Morgan survey tells a far different story. About 1.9million more viewed the 'training run'. For peace of mind I might believe the lower difference. Nevertheless the fact many younger children are being exposed to a certain code due to its earlier timeslot should be a concern for diligent development people within the NRL.

Watching the Grand Final isn't what makes kids want to play though, having a convenient set up for kids to play is much more important. The AFL is much better at junior clinics, they send players to junior clubs just for regular meet and greet sessions, that's something the NRL needs to get better at, clubs need to have agreements in player contracts that signing with the club means a certain number of hours in community interaction are necessary. Appropriate school programs, community programs etc. I sincerely doubt that between Origin and the GF that tv exposure is at a low for kids. That being said the lack of a national footprint is a much bigger threat to lower junior numbers.

Stallion

First Grade
Watching the Grand Final isn't what makes kids want to play though, having a convenient set up for kids to play is much more important. The AFL is much better at junior clinics, they send players to junior clubs just for regular meet and greet sessions, that's something the NRL needs to get better at, clubs need to have agreements in player contracts that signing with the club means a certain number of hours in community interaction are necessary. Appropriate school programs, community programs etc. I sincerely doubt that between Origin and the GF that tv exposure is at a low for kids. That being said the lack of a national footprint is a much bigger threat to lower junior numbers.

I was introduced to rugby league by a daytime grandfinal. I know of many others that have the same story.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I was introduced to rugby league by a daytime grandfinal. I know of many others that have the same story.

You can be introduced by just about any means, regular broadcast games, going to the local club etc. The reality is that last years GF was the highest rated NRL GF, higher than any other daytime, night time or otherwise. This year's result has as much to do with the two teams playing having no following in Sydney or Brisbane as it does the time of the day. Part of that is the NRL's own fault being far too Sydney centric so that the moment no one from Sydney is involved everyone switches off, but I doubt that moving the time will change that. Keep in mind that tv ratings are based on whether the tv is switched on, a household with 2 kids who are in bed at 7 will still produce the same blip on the rating as they would having it on in the day time.

Stallion

First Grade
You can be introduced by just about any means, regular broadcast games, going to the local club etc. The reality is that last years GF was the highest rated NRL GF, higher than any other daytime, night time or otherwise. This year's result has as much to do with the two teams playing having no following in Sydney or Brisbane as it does the time of the day. Part of that is the NRL's own fault being far too Sydney centric so that the moment no one from Sydney is involved everyone switches off, but I doubt that moving the time will change that. Keep in mind that tv ratings are based on whether the tv is switched on, a household with 2 kids who are in bed at 7 will still produce the same blip on the rating as they would having it on in the day time.

I think you are missing the positive effect of youngsters witnessing their first big game of rugby league. I still remember the moment from when I was 6! TH
The AFL 'myth' is being perpetuated and introduced to youngsters and this does have an effect. The last two 'training run' grandfinals have been watched by more people than have watched the last two NRL Gfs. That is fact.