What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos NRL Matches Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
Bennett considers it more valuable to have a back in case of concussion/injury than giving a forward 10 minutes of game-time.

gUt

Coach
Moga should be that player then. Big enough to cover a back row spot if necessary, and can plod along in the backs too.

Nerd

Bench
I'm impressed Milford has actually made it through a game without dropping the ball. Seriously though we really have to stop putting the cue back in the rack when we have big leads at halftime. Nikorima needs to start taking more of the kicks because other teams have worked out that only Milford is kicking and are putting heaps of pressure on him.

3. Roberts
2. McGuire
1. Glenn

Bronco18

Juniors
3. McGuire
2. Roberts
1. Nikorima

McGuire showing why he (along with half a dozen other middle forwards) have better claims to an Australian jersey than Merrin. Nikorima should keep coming better, Manly in a couple of weeks will be a real test.

Disappointing that Penrith got that little roll on towards the end but from the past two weeks, I'd take any 14 point victory.

Playing against Moylan highlights how great Boyd is as a fullback. Moylan struggles on kick returns without linking with his wingers, and is physically bullied when we kick early to isolate him. Doesn't reappear until they get some penalties in the second half and suddenly he learns how to run again.

Contrast this with Boyd who ran straight and hard against the Titans to begin the roll on that led to Nikorima's try. That's how the best leaders play.

Nerd

Bench
How bad is Ashley Klein going? Misses a pass that went at least 4 m forward that leads to a try. He must have watched the game where Brisbane had a few calls go their way and decided there will be none of that on my watch. Manly came out of the blocks on fire but shit we're making them look good by continually dropping the ball. I'm amazed at the time he is giving the Manly defenders in their 20 m zone as you could go and grab a pie by the time some of the Manly players clear the ruck.

Nerd

Bench
Well what a game of two halves. Manly started the second half like Brisbane started the first and never recovered. Just shows how crucial the dropped ball by Moga on the first set of six and Milford getting dragged into touch on the next set were. We bombed one possibly two tries so the score could have been much worse for Manly. I really think Moga is a second rower who has a bit of pace so plays in the centres as one on one you rarely see him beat his opposing player.
Thinking ahead to Origin I really hope Nate Myles isn't selected for QLD. He'll probably get picked have a blinder and prove me wrong but he looked very pedestrian tonight. Also I don't think either both Milford or DCE did enough to justify selection if Thurston is out. My pick would be Corey Norman.

3. McGuire
2. Kahu
1. Nikorima

THE CHAMP

First Grade
you could see the comeback brewing towards the end of the first half. milf was great in the second half. we recovered well after conceding that touchdown and completely dominated the second half. i though moga had a great game he makes valueable metres coming out of our end. a bit of a target for faster centres though. 7-3 with 5 straight wins ill take that every day of the week.

Nerd

Bench
3. Milford
2. Nikorima
1. Oates

McCullough being out for a few weeks is a concern. Looked bad but apparently he was ok in the sheds. Thought Nikorima played well enough to leave Hunt out for another week but McCulloughs injury will bring Hunt or Nikorima into hooker. Hopefully Hunt is Hooker and Nikorima stays at half.

DeeJ

Bench
Nikorima's 5th tackle options are still too inconsistent for him to keep Hunt out of 7. However, he has improved alot and that was by far his best game. Looks good for next year.

3. Nikorima
2. Boyd
1. Oates

renouf

Juniors
Didn't see the game but am I the only one who wouldn't be bothered if Hunt stayed on the bench?

Seems like Roberts has come to life since Hunt has been out..

Nerd

Bench
Didn't see the game but am I the only one who wouldn't be bothered if Hunt stayed on the bench?

Seems like Roberts has come to life since Hunt has been out..
Our attack has come to life since Hunt has been out.

DeeJ

Bench
Here's the team vs the Warriors. Some interesting selections especially Nikorima on the bench with Waddell ahead of him. There will probably be some last minute shuffles:

BRONCOS NRL SQUAD

1. Jordan Kahu
2. Jonus Pearson
3. James Roberts
4. Tautau Moga
5. David Mead
6. Benji Marshall
7. Ben Hunt
8. Herman Ese’ese
9. Travis Waddell
10. Adam Blair ( C )
11. Alex Glenn
12. Jaydn Su’A
13. Korbin Sims

Interchange:

14. George Fai
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Jai Arrow
18. Kodi Nikorima
Reserve: Joe Boyce
Reserve: Jamayne Isaako
Reserve: Tevita Pangai
Reserve: Francis Molo

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/05/23/broncos_ins_and_outs.af_news.html

Last edited by a moderator:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Thanks for posting the side DeeJ

It's pretty good for a "Baby Broncos" team but it is going to be near-impossible for the boys to win this one, despite how badly the Warriors are going. I will be happy if we can keep the score respectable.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. Marshall
2. Roberts
1. Ese'ese

Just way too many errors to give ourselves even a chance. In any case we were dominated in the forwards, with Ese'ese the only one to make some impression.

Nerd

Bench
Well that went as expected. I feel sorry for the Kiwis having to listen to Monty Betham and whoever the other commentator was as they were just cringe worthy.

It thought Benji started slowly but just got better and better as the game went on. Hunt on the other hand is seriously out of form and needs to spend some time back in the QLD Cup trying to sort his game out. I know it's his first game back in 6 weeks but besides that little chip kick for the Roberts try his kicking was as bad as ever and his attacking repertoire of drifting across the line and picking up a forward on the inside is just a bit predictable. I don't think it's a coincidence that the last 6 games were won with Nikorima at halfback and Hunt off the field.

3. Benji
2. Ese'ese
1. Glenn

Bronco18

Juniors
IMO we won't win the comp with Hunt at half.. not that we'll win it without him but still.

I don't know what you could've expected from him in the Warriors game... 6 weeks out with a leg injury (so unfit) and behind a trounced forward pack, receiving only 2 penalties.

Bronco18

Juniors
I don't think it's a coincidence that the last 6 games were won with Nikorima at halfback and Hunt off the field.

Probably helps that we've played easy beats when Nikorima was in, and good teams when Hunt was in. Some of the games in Niko's run we should've won comfortably but got away with under pretty fortuitous circumstances.