What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncs game

HenryTatana

Juniors
So I’m assuming Rava will be gone for a while with a hammy injury especially if it’s the same one he injured earlier this year. Sloan onto the wing?? Rather that than say Moga or Rueben. At least Sloan is there and can interchange with Ramsey if he needs a breather through the game
The new winger will need to mark the giraffe Topou. Unfortunately Hook will go for experience, hence Moga.

Unsainty79

Juniors
I found it hard to be too critical after the game. 2 sin bins in the first half takes a lot of gas out of the tank. It was one of those games for Sims where his aggression was a bit misguided and ultimately it cost us later on. Those glaring misses in defence came down to fatigue.

I feel a bit for Amone and Sullivan. They are very young still and came up against an experienced premiership winner and it showed.

I thought Lawrie played well - he took a heap of tough hit ups. And Bird was good.

What I found strange was Hook has gone for experience all year in the 1, 6, 7 & 9 using McCullough, Mbye and Bird, yet when we have Hunt missing we throw Sullivan in to play with Amone. I thought maybe Mbye could've come on and played 7, especially after the 3 kicks over the dead ball line.

justadragon

Bench
I see nothing wrong with Crush posts that you spent an awful lot of time trying to rip apart. Why are you so obsessed with everything he writes? What is so wrong with being excited about Bud being given a chance in first grade. And your last point about halves directing the attack - how do you think they learn their set plays oh perfect one oh that's right - at training!

I'm really really getting sick of wallies on this forum having strong opinions on what is and isn't a genuine supporter after they have been here 5 minutes.
I think Gardenia the forum is all about strong opinions but as you say everyone is entitled to one regardless of what direction they take. My take on it is that everyone is really upset with the way the team played yesterday and especially after calling it for months everyone was really excited for the young blokes in the halves and expecting them to really set it on fire, especially playing against a virtual reserve grade, it really couldnt have been a worse showing. Did we expect too much, did our senior players support them during the game, were they under immense pressure from the start, was the coach or coaches responsible, have they had enough time in grade. When our excitement is shattered in the way it was we are all looking for someone to blame and want answers. To me there are no single answers or quick fixes, this is a top to bottom problem and has been so for many years. Why is it that the panthers can slide rookies into their team and like magic they look as they are meant to be there, yet ours come in to our side as saviours and under all the pressure to perform and get an underperforming team back on track and god forbid back into finals contention, really is that what we are expecting, and I would say in most cases yes. So our passion and craving for a successful club continues, our lack of it does not sit with any individual, it sits with the Dragons club as a whole. My question is does it take 10-12 years to build a model like the panthers and if so how far down the track are we, if anywhere. The blame for the Dragons to be able to bounce back from a poor season to a good one in a short time , like the Broncs or cows or roosters, rests with the club, and not because Sullivan and Amone didnt live up to our expectations or we think that Hook is a crappy coach, it starts way above that.

SBD82

Coach
For a so called dragons supporter it seems like you have no faith in the team and all of your posts are pre fabricated so you can ride back in on your high and mighty I told you so horse later on.

My case in point:

1) You first make a smart ass post in this thread claiming Mbye will be named at half back instead of Sullivan, later to be proven wrong when the team list is announced.

2) When the team list is announced you then say how excited you are, haven't been this excited in a while Yada yada as if our new halves pairing are Johns and Fitler.

3) You then start making posts stating there's no way we can lose this game (giving yourself some ammunition and some fake shock when we go on to lose it) thanks for putting the mocker on us there by the way 🙂

4) We lose when your protected species the two halves you were so excited about who were largely ineffective most of the game, don't perform to expectation and all of a sudden we get a post asking why we can't run set plays? As if these two were full of creativity until stepping in to first grade under Hook for the first time, so naturally you bring out your axe you've been grinding and imply the halves didn't play well because of coaching. If they're as good as you made them out to be with all your pre game excitement they would've given us something to cheer about. But yes surely it's the coach's fault for these two not being world beaters today.

Guess what? Halves direct the attack, so I'd say our lack of set plays today had something to do with the two you've been so excited about all week and less to do with the coach.

Just be a genuine supporter of the team without your anti hook agenda for a change mate, it's getting a little tiring . Be disappointed in the loss without coming back to hide behind your posts earlier in the week FMD.
It’s gonna be a bit embarrassing when you re-read this after you sober up.

thebigredv

First Grade
I see nothing wrong with Crush posts that you spent an awful lot of time trying to rip apart. Why are you so obsessed with everything he writes? What is so wrong with being excited about Bud being given a chance in first grade. And your last point about halves directing the attack - how do you think they learn their set plays oh perfect one oh that's right - at training!

I'm really really getting sick of wallies on this forum having strong opinions on what is and isn't a genuine supporter after they have been here 5 minutes.

Yep agreed.

After they question your loyalty those same posters keep up with their favourite tagline "you have to be patient. It will take time for Hook". Then try to denegrate you because apparently you expect everything to happen today.

Far out, we never got as low as a club as Broncos were a year or two ago, same with Nth QLD and now look at them vy for top 4 at the business end of the season. The Broncos are a proud club and were never going to to let that last for too long. Us on the other hand...

Crush's post are far more accurate and useful than those posters. If we were keeping score he'd win in a landslide.

hewi

Bench
This morning I keep wondering how this most famous football club has got to where it is. Other than Bennett it has been mediocrity for 25 years, there is no pride in the jersey anymore, no professional and ruthlessness by the board to make the coach and players responsible for their actions. We the fans front up Feb/March every year all excited thinking this year it will be different only to realise 3/4 months later it’s the same turd in the punchbowl and guess what this year is the same as all the rest. Promised the world gave us an atlas.

Another disappointing display. Even when we win with Ben Hunt we have an aweful, boring under 7s style of play relying on give it to the big kid (Suli) or the fast guy (Ramsey) and individual skill. We don't seem to be able to construct tries by getting a roll on then cohesion and skillful ball movement (Panthers, Sharks). We also don't seem to able to attack in waves. Also Ben Hunt seems to be our only kicking option....other teams have options at both halves and hooker. I find it hard to watch our team play each week.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I don't think yesterday was that bad. The game was as good as gone with the first sin-binning and the second just put it beyond doubt.

The young guys didn't win the game but they sure didn't lose it either. They were a bit timid but performances like that are a necessary part of the learning process.

Suli was strong (again) and Bird had one of his better games. Ramsey looks very much like Dylan Edwards - which I consider a compliment.

I still lament the 1990s-era structures and the overall lack of flair but we were never going to win that game once Annesley came out on the Monday.

My only criticism - and I'll say it again - was that the board's decision to resign Hook so early was a clear message that this was yet another rebuilding year. We were never going to challenge for the top four this year let alone the title. So knowing that, we could have had performances like yesterday much earlier in the year and then perhaps by round 17 things would have been looking up.

Instead, we aimed for an "honourable" 8th or 9th position by persisting with players who will never win us a premiership. We'd be much further along in our quest to be truly competitive and even if only some of the young guys worked out, we'd be that much closer to a strong 2023. Rather, we're in pretty much the same position as at the end of last year.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints attack is by far the worst I have seen. Apart from the Souths game 1st half only I may add, Saints attack is probably the worst in 10 years. Mary had better attacking plays and that is saying something. This team gets tackled on the last tackle close to the opposition line more than any other. As for the discipline, well there is no excuse for that not improving from last season. Bring in a better attacking coach at least if they still persist with Hook.

Bud Sullivan copping it deluxe yet this kid will be special but has been treated poorly and should have had stints from the bench to ease him in. Ennis said there is something in him that reminds him of Thurston which is a huge wrap. If Bud can become half of Thurston he will be immense. It is so obvious the hooker is the issue with the slow service but that is not changing unfortunately. He will be there till he retires or gets injured. Hooker is one of the most important roles and Saints just don't get it. Targeting Reynolds, wow that is really old school. Rather than worry about your own game, lets take out a half from a team team that has 10 out. No game plans just dumb old dirty tactics that are easily read, negative and lead to loads of penalties.

Belta

Juniors
Another disappointing display. Even when we win with Ben Hunt we have an aweful, boring under 7s style of play relying on give it to the big kid (Suli) or the fast guy (Ramsey) and individual skill. We don't seem to be able to construct tries by getting a roll on then cohesion and skillful ball movement (Panthers, Sharks). We also don't seem to able to attack in waves. Also Ben Hunt seems to be our only kicking option....other teams have options at both halves and hooker. I find it hard to watch our team play each week.
Yep sometimes I’ll be watching a game and think that was a really exciting, quality game between two quality teams both fully committed to winning and even if the team I wanted to win loses I actually enjoyed the game.

Mostly when I watch the Dragons play it’s like boy that was boring (irrespective of the result)

The opposition showed a team full of youngsters full of enthusiasm, can deliver excitement and more importantly some purpose. Are there any lessons to be learnt? I’ve said many times over many years, I’d take losses on the chin for some distant hope.

Revesby boy

Juniors
This… exactly!! We play like a team from the 80s, 5 one outs and a Hail Mary kick, even when we win we are boring I was so excited when we signed Hook as coach but it’s as if he rings McFail before every game for a game plan FMD.

Dragon David

First Grade
We all know that the Broncos and Cowboys are doing wonders this year and both clubs are looking good for the next few years I feel. They were both down the bottom the past few years and they needed good governance and management to get them to where they are today.

Our finishes from 2019 have been 15th, 12th and 11th and currently we are 9th. This is showing that we are on the improve and if we can maintain further wins in the last 8 games we could finish 8th.

Now, for next year I think that clubs like the Bulldogs and even the Tigers will be much improved and will move up the ladder. They have been at the bottom of the ladder for yonks but they could be top 8 contenders next year or the year after. Next year for us could be similar to this year. I just cannot see much more improvement and our good years will start in 2024.

That's my forecast on this Broncs game thread. I've said my bits about the game yesterday and no need to dwell on it anymore.

hewi

Bench
How or why is it that in a game where we had 12 players for 60 minutes that Kerr and Hunt respectively only get 25 and 11 minutes game time? Kerr in particular I think was replaced 5 minutes after half time, isn’t that a waste the players are gassed from defending one down and the bench isn’t properly used. Also, I noticed the two 7 tackle restarts from Amones kicks were straight kicks. From my understanding if you are kicking to the in goal you must kick across the in goal. So if the in goal is 8 meters and you kick across it perfectly in theory the ball will travel 12 meters before going out so you get twice as much time to pressure in goal. Because of the 7 tackle restart from the 20 you are better IMO to go dead with ball than risk a kick, once ok but not twice. Where is the coach for this young man.

shiloh dc

Juniors
Wash your mouth out!
I loved Kogarah Oval when i was a kid - but now everything about Kogarah (except the surface which is one of the best in Australia) is sub-standard. The ends are abysmal - Siberia on the East and the Isthmus on the west. Every night I pray a stray Putin Satan II missile blows it up. In hindsight, the Board should have positioned Kogarah to have been redeveloped prior to the demolition of Aussie stadium.
Our only hope is for a change of State government - but all available funds may have been spent by then.

Latest posts