What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown quits

franklin2323

Immortal
If this was true then the entire statement would have read:
"we are proud of our effort in attempting to attach world class RL to Penrith. Unfortunately, Mr Brown decided to go in a different direct. We wish the competition all the best and hope for more events in the future"

Instead they went right out of their way to attack Brown and take shots at the Comp.

F*cking unprofessional, and im guessing they have ended any hopes of getting games next time. Its what happens when you burn bridges for a whinge...

Parra will have a world class stadium then anyway. So game will still be in the west.

Is what they said untrue though? They might of only got 4 days notice and no reply and rightly would feel angered

adamkungl

Immortal
What nonsense. Payne didn't even badmouth the event. The closest he comes is to describe the decision to snub Western Sydney as "mind boggling". Hardly the scathing attack on the tournament it's described as here.
If he was attacking the tournament why would he be upset at missing out on a game?

Where are these supposed shots taken at the comp or Brown?

Here's what the DT had to say

After Payne penned a letter to Penrith members late Monday expressing his disappointment the game’s proud heartland had not been able to secure a single World Cup fixture next year because of “commercial reasons’’, Brown wasted no time firing back via an angry voicemail.

The hostility of the call was so brutal, Panthers Group CEO Brian Fletcher, who heard Brown’s voicemail, described it as “absolutely disgusting’’.

Payne last night would not reveal the nature of the call, but told The Daily Telegraph: “I want the best for rugby league in western Sydney, and I’m willing to stand up for that.’’

Only one person is coming out of this looking unprofessional. Hint: it's the bloke who doesn't have a job anymore.

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
What nonsense. Payne didn't even badmouth the event. The closest he comes is to describe the decision to snub Western Sydney as "mind boggling". Hardly the scathing attack on the tournament it's described as here.
If he was attacking the tournament why would he be upset at missing out on a game?

Let's surmise what Payne said about the WC. 'What kind of Rugby League World Cup doesn't have games in Penrith?'.

Our WC has been subjected to shocking scrutiny from Sydney media in the past. Payne should have known better and shut the f**k up. The WC should be our most protected asset.

franklin2323

Immortal
Let's surmise what Payne said about the WC. 'What kind of Rugby League World Cup doesn't have games in Penrith?'.

Our WC has been subjected to shocking scrutiny from Sydney media in the past. Payne should have known better and shut the f**k up. The WC should be our most protected asset.

So where is Campbelltown, Parramatta hell even Belmore's games then? There's no games out west full stop so not just poor Penrith here

adamkungl

Immortal
Some people in here are just desperate to hang shit on the NRL clubs. Who have all done far more for Rugby League over decades than either the new ARLC or any flash in the pan WC administrators who can't even keep a job for a few months.

Maybe Micheal Brown will send you an absuive voicemail Last Week, saw you arguing pro-Sydney in another thread. Should you know better?

Last Week

Bench
So where is Campbelltown, Parramatta hell even Belmore's games then? There's no games out west full stop so not just poor Penrith here

The west of Sydney is not entitled to WC matches. No where is entitled to matches. I grew up in the west, played in the west (St Clair Comets) and currently live in Parramatta. I would have loved more games here.

Our international game is more important and bigger than west Sydney. The RLIF need to maximise as much money as possible for a fairly long period of time in order to strengthen our sport around the world.

The ONLY reason why west Sydney hasn't got any matches is purely because the NSW government withdrew from negotiations. That's it. It's not mind boggling at all. It's priorities. Satisfying the sense of entitlement that Payne (and no doubt others) have or strengthening the RLIF and in turn developing other nations?

franklin2323

Immortal
The west of Sydney is not entitled to WC matches. No where is entitled to matches. I grew up in the west, played in the west (St Clair Comets) and currently live in Parramatta. I would have loved more games here.

Our international game is more important and bigger than west Sydney. The RLIF need to maximise as much money as possible for a fairly long period of time in order to strengthen our sport around the world.

The ONLY reason why west Sydney hasn't got any matches is purely because the NSW government withdrew from negotiations. That's it. It's not mind boggling at all. It's priorities. Satisfying the sense of entitlement that Payne (and no doubt others) have or strengthening the RLIF and in turn developing other nations?

Not saying they are entitled to have games. In an ideal world the government coughs up and we have games in Western Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong.

I am sure Brown told Darwin etc it will cost you $x to host a game and they went from there or they should of anyway. You are telling me with all the resources Penrith has they couldn't of matched what was being asked?

I have my doubts this will even turn a profit. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Flights to Cairns and Perth aren't cheap. Limited hotels in Cairns and Port Moresby. Not to mention it's right at the start of the wet season and the logisical nightmares if there's flooding in Northern Australia

Last Week

Bench
Not saying they are entitled to have games. In an ideal world the government coughs up and we have games in Western Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong.

I am sure Brown told Darwin etc it will cost you $x to host a game and they went from there or they should of anyway. You are telling me with all the resources Penrith has they couldn't of matched what was being asked?

I have my doubts this will even turn a profit. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Flights to Cairns and Perth aren't cheap. Limited hotels in Cairns and Port Moresby. Not to mention it's right at the start of the wet season and the logisical nightmares if there's flooding in Northern Australia

It's been in a couple of articles that the Panthers offered $200k less than what the asking price was for pool matches.

The last 2 WCs turned a profit. They were set up in a way that it was guaranteed to make a profit before a ball was kicked. This will be the same.

Our international game is more important than western Sydney....

except when it comes to everything outside this tournament. Every other decision the NRL ever makes is based entirely on the premise that western Sydney is more important than international football. In fact it's more important than bush football, affiliated states, student football, you name it.

Last Week

Bench
Some people in here are just desperate to hang shit on the NRL clubs. Who have all done far more for Rugby League over decades than either the new ARLC or any flash in the pan WC administrators who can't even keep a job for a few months.

Maybe Micheal Brown will send you an absuive voicemail Last Week, saw you arguing pro-Sydney in another thread. Should you know better?

I am pro Sydney. I think Sydney should get more quality internationals. But for this world cup, the NSW government needed to stump up the cash, and they didn't.

The issue here is Payne coming out with his boggled mind that Penrith didn't get a game. If the dunce had have made a phone call first as to why (the NSW government pulling out of negotiations), he would have a less boggled mind. Instead, he opened his mouth and made it public.

If he believes that Penrith should have hosted a match in the face of it being a loss making match, then that's sheer arrogance and self entitlement.

Last Week

Bench
Our international game is more important than western Sydney....

except when it comes to everything outside this tournament. Every other decision the NRL ever makes is based entirely on the premise that western Sydney is more important than international football. In fact it's more important than bush football, affiliated states, student football, you name it.

f**k here we go. Thread derailment incoming.

I'm not the one saying international football is more important than western Sydney, but then blindly supports every stupid decision the NRL makes that totally contradicts that.

Last Week

Bench
I'm not the one saying international football is more important than western Sydney, but then blindly supports every stupid decision the NRL makes that totally contradicts that.

Do I? Go have a look at my post history and you'll see that's very much not the case and hasn't been for a while now. I'm just not going to blindly attack them constantly because I'm not a miserable sook like you.

Done derailing the thread? Keen to add your opinion on the circumstances of Brown quitting?

adamkungl

Immortal
I am pro Sydney. I think Sydney should get more quality internationals. But for this world cup, the NSW government needed to stump up the cash, and they didn't.

The issue here is Payne coming out with his boggled mind that Penrith didn't get a game. If the dunce had have made a phone call first as to why (the NSW government pulling out of negotiations), he would have a less boggled mind. Instead, he opened his mouth and made it public.

If he believes that Penrith should have hosted a match in the face of it being a loss making match, then that's sheer arrogance and self entitlement.

I understand the argument about why Sydney did or didn't get games.

My argument is against those attacking Payne for being unprofessional. His job is to look after Penrith's interests. I don't see how he's being attacked for a fairly harmless statement, even if there are valid reasons why Penrith was shot down. Every second fan and journalist was up in arms about the Sydney situation, Payne's letter wasn't even unique. To blame him for Brown's demise is ridiculous.

taipan

Referee
The RLWC make a decent profit that should be the aim,and spreading the events to the bidders will assist.
If Penrith played hard ball and didn't consider the big picture then tough t*tty.They could not see beyond our shores.

The decision for venues and TV deal was made by Brown and not the NRL.He has secured what appears to be the best financial option ,regardless of him spitting the dummy.
Would I prefer more Sydney options? Of course.But the venue controllers were not prepared to pay.No money no honey.
Let's get on with the show.I want this game to grow overseas,if Penrith happened to be the fly in the ointment,they won't get sympathy from me.

siv

First Grade
We seem to be evolving very quickly back into a Sydney centric admin structure and decision make

And I include the NSWRL in that as well

LeagueXIII

First Grade

The issue Brown had was that after a successful upbeat announcement bringing positivity to the tournament, Payne/Penrith derailed the story in the media from being about the announcement of World Cup venues to western Sydney missing out. Payne gave the media ammunition to run with, thus the positivity of the announcement was gone. This is what upset Brown, Penrith had to have a whinge instead of shutting up and letting the game bask in the glow of positivity of the launch.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't see how anyone is justifiably attacking Payne. He's not the one who threw the toys out of the cot and quit his job/got himself sacked (whichever report you believe) over a fairly minor disagreement.

Is Micheal Brown a giant baby? I'm glad he's gone, I don't think major events should be run by giant babies.

All inflammatory comments designed very carefully to be critical of the NRL and RLIF and give ammunition to the negative RL media. Stinks of Gould to me.

Furious Penrith chief executive Corey Payne has blasted league officials for snubbing western Sydney in the 2017 Rugby League World Cup schedule for "commercial reasons".

In a letter sent to club members on Tuesday night, Payne took aim at the tournament organisers for turning down the Panthers' bid to host a World Cup game, instead awarding the only two Sydney matches to Allianz Stadium – a decision he described as "mind-boggling".

The Panthers rugby league boss met with tournament organisers and offered to invest thousands of dollars to ensure western Sydney hosted a game at the World Cup, but was dumbfounded by the decision to overlook their proposal.

"I am extremely disappointed that we have been snubbed by the NRL for 'commercial reasons'. It doesn't make any sense to me

"It is a mind-boggling decision which makes me question the NRL's strategic agenda

If they cannot make World Cup games commercially viable in western Sydney then I must be living on the moon

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...or-snubbing-penriths-bid-20160719-gq9804.html

As if the media and public needed Payne to tell them NSW hosting two games and western Sydney hosting none is a ridiculous situation. The story was already being told and the public was already saying WTF?