What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Sydney Roosters win a Grand Final with their current roster?

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Pearce chokes harder than the dragons vying for 8th position.
By rights they should but I can't see it happening with him. He's simply not a big time player

BennyV

Referee
Current as in 2017 or 2018?

The 2017 roster was never going to do it, they were missing someone who could grab the game by the balls and make the victory happen. Closest they had is Latrell and he's about 6 years old.

2018, with Tedesco, they are a better shot but I genuinely think they are missing a no-nonsense forward leader. Guys like JWH and Napa talk a big game and look ok on the highlights real, but when the fight is brought to them they crumble. Sam Moa provided this for them in 2013 and they havent really replaced it. At the moment, all their forwards are too busy believing their own hype.

Charlie124

First Grade
Current as in 2017 or 2018?

The 2017 roster was never going to do it, they were missing someone who could grab the game by the balls and make the victory happen. Closest they had is Latrell and he's about 6 years old.

2018, with Tedesco, they are a better shot but I genuinely think they are missing a no-nonsense forward leader. Guys like JWH and Napa talk a big game and look ok on the highlights real, but when the fight is brought to them they crumble. Sam Moa provided this for them in 2013 and they havent really replaced it. At the moment, all their forwards are too busy believing their own hype.

Agree 100%. The Roosters are a mentally weak team. Outside of Cordner, they have no leaders who will roll up the sleeves when a game isn't going the way they trained for it and say "follow me, ill get us out of this". They live for the highlight reel and flashy individual play which gets them through on occasion. They can blow a team away in the first 20 of a game on their day but it doesn't take much more than scoring first or clawing back a small deficit to completely unsettle them.

I won't speak for other Cows fans but out of this whole finals series so far, this prelim was the least worried i felt going into a game. I knew the Sharks were going to be extremely tough and gritty and probably wouldn't go away all game - they didn't, Cows had to work so hard just to stay in that fight with them and if it wasn't for a couple of bone head plays at key moments, we wouldn't have made it past this game.
The Eels played their Grand Final in week 1 and thought they were going a lot better than they actually were because they only just lost to the Storm (despite scoring while the Storm were down a man). They had a real "Dude, i almost had you" from The Fast & The Furious feel about them and it was clear they had been reading their own papers all week.
Which brings me back to the Roosters, the textbook example of a mentally weak team built on a foundation of arrogance and entitlement. You could see it all week leading up to the game that these blokes weren't paying their opposition the respect they should of a prelim finals opponent. They had one eye on the Storm already and it cost them dearly, and predictably.

With Tedesco coming next year they will add some strike, but until they overhaul that forward pack (Cordner excepted) and lose their Homer Simpson halfback, nothing will change.

Dave_

Juniors
Pearce, Fergie, JWH and even Cordner are all duds. What does Cordner do to get all these raps? He runs a good line occasionally... that's it. He's very one dimensional and I don't see how his leadership can be of much value when he can barely string 2 words together. Can not believe he is NSW captain.

Roosters will clear out some of these duds soon though. Pearce to super league because he'll be unwanted here

Not only Boyd Cordner but Jake Friend, Issac Liu, and Siosua Taukeaho are terrific players and mentally strong. Add James Tedesco to the mix with Luke Keary and Latrell Mitchell and you have a Grand Final winning team.

Spot On

Coach
Might go a tad better if someone explains to Latrell where the ball needs to land from the kick off.

These NSWelshmen are certainly dumb footballers.

Valheru

Coach
Stupid thread

This is yet another shot at Mitchell Pearce but we have already won one with him at halfback.

Secondly, the answer to the thread question is obviously no as we didn't win this year and next year we have a different roster

1/10 effort.

Reactions: OVP

adamkungl

Immortal
Stupid thread

This is yet another shot at Mitchell Pearce but we have already won one with him at halfback.

Secondly, the answer to the thread question is obviously no as we didn't win this year and next year we have a different roster

1/10 effort.

Funny that after having egg on their faces in 2013, they're doubling down on it.

Hope he plays Origin again purely out of spite.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I remember Mitch's game in that grand final.

5 tries, 7 try assists, 572 running metres and 81 tackles.

Valheru

Coach
I remember Mitch's game in that grand final.

5 tries, 7 try assists, 572 running metres and 81 tackles.

No one has said anything of the sort but the insinuation is it is impossible for us to win a GF with him in the side.

Clearly not as it has already happened.

adamkungl

Immortal
No one has said anything of the sort but the insinuation is it is impossible for us to win a GF with him in the side.

The key in any Pearce argument is to constantly move the goalposts

mozza91

Coach

They argument should be would you have won more Grand Finals if you had someone other than Pearce?

Round 1-26 he's one of the best halves going around, but as soon as the big games come along eg finals and Origin he's a passenger at his best or a liability at his worst.

Valheru

Coach
They argument should be would you have won more Grand Finals if you had someone other than Pearce?

Round 1-26 he's one of the best halves going around, but as soon as the big games come along eg finals and Origin he's a passenger at his best or a liability at his worst.

At least that would be a reasonable debate as opposed to what the OP has said.

For what it's worth, his finals series in 2014 was exceptional and 2013 passable. 2015 he was injured and I would argue we win that comp if he (and JWH) were fit. At the very least we beat Storm in week 1 IMO. This year's series he was ho hum (so was the rest of the 2nd half of his 2017 season).

I honestly can't remember how he performed in 2010 and 2008.

Latest posts