What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CEOs meet to take NRL 'to another level'

Perth Red

Post Whore
last year they voted for no expansion despite not knowing if it would mean more money. I don;t have alot of faith in club CEO's runnign the game!

TheDalek079

Bench
now they get a chance to discuss players choosing their own numbers!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a great day for league!!!!!!!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The only reason these meetings take place is to decide on what location the next one should be held at.

And its never Goulburn or Chipping Norton, its always the Gold Coast, Byron Bay or somewhere else with plenty of beaches, grog and good tucker.

juro

Bench
What is the point when the IC is supposedly just around the corner? Surely they should have held off and had the commission discuss these issues once in place...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Maybe they like my idea of teams in Sydney in one, teams out of Sydney in the other, play the teams in your conference twice and the other conference twice.

Top 3 from each through and the next two, to make up the top 8.

If they do then the next step is to tweak the differential penalties rule and apply differential penalties to more cases like offside and ruck infringements, to stop teams getting piggy backs upfield.

chefman21

Juniors
What is the point when the IC is supposedly just around the corner? Surely they should have held off and had the commission discuss these issues once in place...

I think that's the problem. Who knows when it is going to be ready and running. In the meantime golden opportunities pass us by.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...onference-system/story-e6frg7mf-1225962968757

Plan tabled to split NRL competition into a two-conference system

* Stuart Honeysett, Margie McDonald
* November 30, 2010 12:00AM

CLUBS have been told the game's independent commission could be confirmed as early as this week with the formal adoption of a constitution.

But there could be bigger changes afoot with plans to eventually split the competition into a two-conference system.

The idea of dual divisions, which would see the competition divided into Sydney clubs and regional clubs if the game expanded again with the addition of two more clubs, was tossed up yesterday at the annual NRL conference at Byron Bay.

Other predictions included central standards to enforce player behaviour, a new representative calender with a New Zealand-based Origin concept, a doubling of membership levels and greater representation of women on club boards and the IC.

"It was a chance to cast an eye into the years ahead and it reflected the confidence in how the game can leverage the strong position that it is in at the moment," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

It is understood the concept of a two-conference system, which is employed in both American football and baseball, was raised by both Sydney Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce and St George Illawarra's Peter Doust and widely supported.

There are plenty of franchises lining up if the NRL decides to expand again and both the Central Coast and Perth are considered the frontrunners if the game benefits as expected from the next television contract and grows its borders again in 2013.

If that occurs and the competition expands to 18 clubs, it is understood dual divisions would be encouraged with the Sydney clubs bracketed into one conference while the other would consist of regional clubs. Although there is still a long way to go, the idea would be to play teams in your own conference twice and the rival conference once.

"Some of the things that came out of today were just mouth-watering," Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle said.

"They're preliminary ideas and thoughts that will get some meat on the bone over time."

Searle, the man credited with bringing the IC to fruition, first raised the issue back in May 2008.

Now Searle is about to witness all the hard work reap its dividend.

"I'm looking forward to getting back to being a club CEO," he said from Byron Bay last night. "It's been almost three years so it's a large chunk out of my life but it's been done for the right reasons.

"And there's been some good people alongside me with their shoulders to the wheel as well."

Searle said the eight commissioners had been "earmarked" but he would not reveal any names.

He did say having a woman commissioner was "a genuine focus".

gronkathon

First Grade
As opposed to all of the marketing and structuring ideas that are out there and have never been considered or implemented anywhere in the world.

f**ktard

jonno_knights

Juniors
The two conference thing will only please the Sydney Clubs. Cant see how it benifits the 'regional clubs' in the slightest.

Newcastle will have to travel to melbourne, canberra, north queensland, New zealand, gold coast, brisbane and possibly perth/adelaide every year. Only local one will be CC and as low as 4 sydney teams. No teams are afraid of road trips to Sydney, but i can assure you, Melbourne, North Queensland and New Zealand (and soon to be Perth if they are competitive) all rate some of the toughest road trips in league.

The sydney clubs on the other hand, might have to only travel to Newcaslte, Canberra, Central Coast and Gold Coast in a given year. All fairly short road trips in comparison. So 23 of their 25 games COULD be within 90 minutes or so of Sydney.

I'd wish they'd stop trying to adapt American concepts to the game, because most of the time they wont work. Conference systems are to break up their large competitions of 30+ teams. So that teams arnt travelling coast to coast every day/week, and so all teams have a fair shot at the playoffs and there isnt much disparity in schedules. In this proposal you have the 'regional' teams travelling coast to coast every week, while the sydney teams have short drive across sydney.

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
1 conference

Parramatta Eels
Wests Tigers
Penrith Panthers
Canterbury Bulldogs

2 conference

Brisbane Broncos
North Queensland Cowboys
Gold Coast Titans
New Zealand Warriors

3 conference

St George Illawarra Dragons
Souths Sydney
Sydney Roosters
Cronulla Sharks

4 Conference

Melbourne Storm
Canberra Raiders
Newcastle Knights
Manly Sea Eagles

Sorry Kiwis you gotta play in the Queensland conference,LOL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
why two conferences would be bad for my (evntually!) team:

1. TV coverage - we could kiss goodbye to getting FTA games as the majority would be all Sydney games for obvious reasons
2. Crowds - alot of people in expansion areas already support a NRL team (usually a Sydney one it seems) and a boost to crowds when the popular teams visit such as St's, Souths etc would not happen
3. Travel - come play off time you will see the effect of travelling differences between the two conferences
4. Flexibility of games - I would imagine that a Perth team may well play back to back Sydney games at some points in the season to reduce travelling and costs
5. Ruin my weekends! - I love weekends in Sydney and would be disappointed if I couldn;t use Reds games for an excuse to visit a few times a year!

chefman21

Juniors
A Sydney based conference? Are these people f**king stupid? The people involved in this game are f**king clueless. A bit of common sense and thought goes a long way.