What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ch 9 Commentary

st.phil

Bench
I agree they (9) were on a "poor souths" kick last night big time. Tall poppy.

I will say that, to my ears, CH9 is still light years ahead of Fox commentary... Smith, Anasta, Alexander literally death ride the Drags. The camera work is also Superior on 9 coverage.

Fk foxtel

epDragon62

First Grade
I agree they (9) were on a "poor souths" kick last night big time. Tall poppy.

I will say that, to my ears, CH9 is still light years ahead of Fox commentary... Smith, Anasta, Alexander literally death ride the Drags. The camera work is also Superior on 9 coverage.

Fk foxtel
They are dreadful on Fox.

To be fair to Nine, it was more a case of Souths have really hung in there... couldn’t argue against that. They all disagreed with the second no try decision against Nene.

kit66

Bench
Not normally a one eyed supporter watching on the TV but even a non Dragons mate watching the game on Ch 9 couldn't believe the bias shown towards Souths tonight. Gus tends to lead the charge & the commentator & Johns repeat him. Souths were "brave " and every close call was in Souths way not ours. Understand that it is commercial TV and they have to create tension & Drama but please try to be even , as it is a game. They were most disappointing that the script of a Souths victory did not eventuate but it really grated on me that perhaps our defense was "brave "and the refs forgot the ball & 10 meter rules which hinded our free flowing game.

Yes the media builds you up ...... then slags you down.

I switched over to Fox early in the 2nd half even though I don't have HD because Gus drives me nuts Johns is almost as bad. I've also had a gutful of the betting ads at every opportunity.

Last edited:

RedVDragon

Juniors
Where did you read this? If true, it’s a very good thing.
Believe it or not Gus was a Dragons supporter when he was young. As a mentor he would be good for Mary. He is just too opinionated. Must say he knows his stuff but can piss people off

Last edited:
Dennis , I hope your not forgetting Australia's contribution to the sporting world , namely the great Union/ League player Rex Mossop ( who's commentary could be best described as somewhat ' flabbergasting ' at times ) and also the more articulate and ever smiling Ron Casey .

Both of whom were great examples of what happens when you put a microphone in the hands of someone who at times knows a bit too much on the subject at hand . Still , both great rugby league commentators and nice blokes also .
How could I forget - they were great as was Frank Hyde.
Classic commentators who are but a distant memory for most following league today.
I had the great pleasure as a Uni student driving cab as a part time job, of picking up Rex Mossop from Sydney Airport upon his return from calling one of the Kangaroo tours.
I think it was 1978 with Frank Stanton as coach.
Hi lived in Balgowlah so we struck a very cordial discussion along the way about RL which was great for me because I used to watch controversy corner and channel 7 religiously back then.
Then we were talking about the English style of commenting RL which was pedestrian and boring.
To my surprise, he did a mock call of a Phil Lowe try and how he had called it on TV.- in my cab.
Just fantastic and very off the cuff and entertaining!
Great gentleman who took the time to chat to a 22 year old and gave me a pretty good tip to boot.
Thanks for prompting some good memories.

Gareth67

First Grade
How could I forget - they were great as was Frank Hyde.
Classic commentators who are but a distant memory for most following league today.
I had the great pleasure as a Uni student driving cab as a part time job, of picking up Rex Mossop from Sydney Airport upon his return from calling one of the Kangaroo tours.
I think it was 1978 with Frank Stanton as coach.
Hi lived in Balgowlah so we struck a very cordial discussion along the way about RL which was great for me because I used to watch controversy corner and channel 7 religiously back then.
Then we were talking about the English style of commenting RL which was pedestrian and boring.
To my surprise, he did a mock call of a Phil Lowe try and how he had called it on TV.- in my cab.
Just fantastic and very off the cuff and entertaining!
Great gentleman who took the time to chat to a 22 year old and gave me a pretty good tip to boot.
Thanks for prompting some good memories.

They certainly had wonderful oratorical skills and of course their own individual persona that came across so well whether it be on the radio or the tele. as you said , they were great commentators and lovely gents .

BennyV

Referee
Believe it or not Hus was a Dragons supporter when he was young. As a mentor he would be good for Mary. He is just too opinionated. Must say he knows his stuff but can piss people off
I know he’s a Dragons fan, but if he is mentoring McJetski then it’s a great initiative. Gould may be a complete dribbler but he understands the games and the factors required to be successful in coaching.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Problem with Fox is Smith is so in love with Qlders ie Smith, Slater and Inglis etc and Brandy just hates giving The Dragons any wraps....anytime theres a rub of the green try awarded to us he disputes it

Dragsters

First Grade
The problem I have with fox is that other than Vossy, pretty much the rest of them have such a limited vocabulary that their comments are too predictable.

That's when they're not speaking dribble and making up their own words...

Dragsters

First Grade
I know he’s a Dragons fan, but if he is mentoring McJetski then it’s a great initiative. Gould may be a complete dribbler but he understands the games and the factors required to be successful in coaching.

Gus talked about it in the post game show last night...

Latest posts