What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Cup 2016

langpark

First Grade
Any idea when Round 1 gets drawn?

Considering Round 1 is usually played in January, I thought they'd have done the draw by now. :?

langpark

First Grade
I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but, is there anything dodgy going on with the Challenge Cup draws? Serious question. Because these two fixtures:

Rochdale Mayfield vs Rochdale Hornets
York City Knights vs York Acorn

Are an incredible coincidence otherwise.

langpark

First Grade
3 League One sides suffer pretty convincing defeats against amateur sides today! (Skolars, Scorpions and Thunder).

Shows what a farce it is making Toulouse play in the third division.

Their reserve grade is playing at a higher level than their first team.

Has that ever happened in the history of the sport?

langpark

First Grade
Shows what a farce it is making Toulouse play in the third division.

Their reserve grade is playing at a higher level than their first team.

Has that ever happened in the history of the sport?

I suggest you look at Toulouse's result today against amateur side Wath Brow Hornets before you post this crap.

I suggest you look at Toulouse's result today against amateur side Wath Brow Hornets before you post this crap.

If you think the current Toulouse side is anywhere near a reflection of what that club could field if it was playing in a decent comp you're either drunk, geniused or seriously ignorant.

Explain how a team playing in a weaker comp than their reserve grade is playing in makes any sense.

You do actually realise Toulouse has to abide by a salary cap in league 1 don't you? Maybe think about that before "posting crap".

langpark

First Grade
If you think the current Toulouse side is anywhere near a reflection of what that club could field if it was playing in a decent comp you're either drunk, geniused or seriously ignorant.

Explain how a team playing in a weaker comp than their reserve grade is playing in makes any sense.

You do actually realise Toulouse has to abide by a salary cap in league 1 don't you? Maybe think about that before "posting crap".
You've dodged the issue.

The issue here is that Toulouse struggled to put away an amateur side today (not a League One side, an amateur side). And then you've somehow used this as your argument that they should be playing in a higher league!

No you're doding the issues.

They have a league one squad because they're forced to play at that level.

I repeat, why is their first team playing in a weaker comp than their reserve team? On what planet does that make sense?

That alone proves they are artificially being forced to weaken themselves to play at a lower level because the rfl continue to brain fart ridiculous new policies every five minutes when it comes to who plays where and how/whether they can go up or down. Last week people were bemoaning the mediocrity in the super league that means even the top clubs cant hack 80 minutes against good opposition. Yet the rfl refuse to maximise the potential that exists to create a super league with more clubs that can compete at a high level.

bowes

Juniors
I'd debate whether the French league actually is a higher standard than League 1, but it's definitely roughly the same. It makes no sense to play in a league the same standard as your own but in another country. The Championship would make sense for them but not Super League.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Wath Brow Hornets are easily good enough to play in League 1

JonB95

Juniors

same amateur side nearly beat Keighley the other week. a very bleak output of west Cumbria in the Challenge Cup in February... that was a major banana skin for Toulouse considering they hadn't played in England for a long while, the win was all that mattered.

Evil Homer

Staff member
bump..

Oldham just beat Hull KR.

How often do SL teams get beat by lower grade sides?
Very rarely. Leigh beat two SL teams last year but they have a full time squad, Featherstone beat Castleford in 2012 but I think their squad was also full time or mostly full time, before that you're probably going back to about 2006. The last time a part-time Championship team like Oldham beat a SL club was I think 2003.

deluded pom?

Coach
Every cloud has a silver lining. Hull may have lost last night but the result from Caravan Park softens the blow somewhat. :lol:

flamin

Juniors
Big victory just now for Toulouse at home in the Challenge Cup beating the current Championship leaders Leigh 10-8.