What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2018

getsmarty

Immortal
cs-team-list-news-image.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRL Squad: Charity Shield
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:00 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have named a 23-man squad ahead of the 2018 Westfund Charity Shield against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Glen Willow Stadium, Mudgee on Saturday, February 24.

Jack de Belin and Tyson Frizell have been named to play their first games of the 2018 season in what will be a huge week for the Dragons in the Central West of New South Wales.

The Dragons were able to win their first trial of 2018 last weekend with a six-point win over English Super League outfit Hull FC

Tickets remain on sale for the 2018 Westfund Charity Shield here, while it's not too late to become a Mudgee Faithful Red V Member.

Squad for 2018 Westfund Charity Shield (alphabetical):

Leeson Ah Mau

Euan Aitken

Jack de Belin

Matt Dufty

Tyson Frizell

James Graham

Ben Hunt

Josh Kerr

Tim Lafai

Jeremy Latimore

Blake Lawrie

Luciano Leilua

Zac Lomax

Nene Macdonald

Kurt Mann

Cameron McInnes

Darren Nicholls

Jason Nightingale

Reece Robson

Hame Sele

Tariq Sims

Paul Vaughan

Gareth Widdop

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/21/nrl-squad-charity-shield/

getsmarty

Immortal
Jack de Belin aiming for another explosive start to the season for St George Illawarra Dragons ahead of Charity Shield
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_181_4784_2881_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Game face: Dragons forward Jack de Belin wants St George Illawarra to repeat their strong start to last season. Picture: Chris Lane

• Jack de Belin is hoping another mammoth pre-season will provide a similarly explosive start to St George Illawarra’s 2018 campaign – but potentially at the expense of trial form.

The Dragons take on South Sydney in their traditional Charity Shield fixture in Mudgee on Saturday night with St George Illawarra looking to win back the trophy that Souths have held since 2013.

St George Illawarra have undergone a tough pre-season regime, similar to the one they completed prior to 2017 when Nathan Pickworth took over from longtime performance head Tony Ayoub as head of performance and medical science.

The Dragons were slow out of the blocks in pre-season matches last season, including a sluggish showing in their 32-14 Charity Shield loss to Souths.

But de Belin told the Leader while better trial results were desirable, he was hopeful of a similar round one performance against Brisbane at Kogarah as they had last season.

“We did perform pretty poorly in our trials [last season],” he said.

r0_0_1200_675_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jack de Belin in action at Jubilee Oval last season. Picture: Chris Lane

“It wasn’t that good and everyone felt pretty flat and a bit sluggish but we’d had a massive pre-season. This one is the same as well. The bodies are getting to that point where we’re kind of over-training.

“Hopefully it has the same effect as it did last season where come round one we’re just ready to fire. As you could see we were at another level to Penrith [in round one] last year.”

It wasn’t that good and everyone felt pretty flat and a bit sluggish but we’d had a massive pre-season.

Jack de Belin on the Dragons' 2017 pre-season form
    The mood in the Dragons’ camp is optimistic as the club looks to reach the semi-finals for the first time since 2015. A pair of high profile signings in James Graham and Ben Hunt has the squad upbeat with two weeks until the start of the season.

“The new boys are going well. James Graham is a great old head to have around. He’s a savvy veteran, he knows what needs to be done. He’s a great leader as well, I think he’ll be really good for us middle forwards,” de Belin said.

“And Ben Hunt he’s going to be great for us I think. A big signing, playing alongside Gareth Widdop and I think he’s going to have a big year.

“The mood is good. It’s pretty uplifting and upbeat. It’s time to start playing footy.”

Kick-off at the Glenn Willow Regional Sports Centre, Mudgee is at 7.30pm.

• http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5...losive-start-ahead-of-charity-shield/?cs=3833

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So no:
Host, Field, Herbert, Periera, Allgood and Garrick.

The chosen 23 appear to have the inside running at this stage.

Intetestingly, Herbert, Periera, Garrick and Allgood all off contract this year.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Run on side maybe
1 DUFTY
2 Mcdonald
3 Lafai
4 Aitken
5 Nighty
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
8 Big Red
9 McInnes
10 Vaughan
11 Frizell
12 Sims
13 DeBelin
14 Au Mau
15 Mann
16 Robson
17 Sele
18 Latimore
19 luch
20 Nichols
21 Lawrie
22 Kerr
23 Lomax
Wonder how long it will take to make some changes to the backline .......

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Run on side maybe
1 DUFTY
2 Mcdonald
3 Lafai
4 Aitken
5 Nighty
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
8 Big Red
9 McInnes
10 Vaughan
11 Frizell
12 Sims
13 DeBelin
14 Au Mau
15 Mann
16 Robson
17 Sele
18 Latimore
19 luch
20 Nichols
21 Lawrie
22 Kerr
23 Lomax
Wonder how long it will take to make some changes to the backline .......

think Mann will start in the centres in place of Aitken based on Mary's comments in a recent video.
surprised about host. is he injured?

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
think Mann will start in the centres in place of Aitken based on Mary's comments in a recent video.
surprised about host. is he injured?

RedVR,
In my opinion Host was developing nicely in 2016 when he was playing decent minutes. But then in 2017 Mary cut him back to barely 15 minutes off the bench in his season long under-utilisation of the bench. Not surprisingly Host appeared to plateau then lost his position to Sele. I only watched a couple of NSW Cup games after that but thought Host was terrific and clearly head and shoulders above the other young guys. To me if he is no longer one of the top 23 in the club then that is all down to the coach's deficiencies.

I could be more charitable given the nature of Saturday's clash - maybe Host will play NSW Cup to get bigger minutes under his belt before Rd 1 but hard to give the coach the benefit of the doubt when he shows so many shortcomings.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
RedVR,
In my opinion Host was developing nicely in 2016 when he was playing decent minutes. But then in 2017 Mary cut him back to barely 15 minutes off the bench in his season long under-utilisation of the bench. Not surprisingly Host appeared to plateau then lost his position to Sele. I only watched a couple of NSW Cup games after that but thought Host was terrific and clearly head and shoulders above the other young guys. To me if he is no longer one of the top 23 in the club then that is all down to the coach's deficiencies.

I could be more charitable given the nature of Saturday's clash - maybe Host will play NSW Cup to get bigger minutes under his belt before Rd 1 but hard to give the coach the benefit of the doubt when he shows so many shortcomings.

Host runs on the weekend were damaging. was Mary at the game?

giboz71

First Grade
Host just lacked impact on the weekend. He really needed to rip in like Kerr and Sele. The last Hull try where he and Sele let in a try probably didn’t help either.

Mary is fond of the power game which really isn’t his forte. Host is more a classic edge forward who can run lines and play the Cordner or Hoffman role.

I think Host is a good player but just another example of a very promising player not developed correctly by our inept coaching staff.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
So no:
Host, Field, Herbert, Periera, Allgood and Garrick.

The chosen 23 appear to have the inside running at this stage.

Intetestingly, Herbert, Periera, Garrick and Allgood all off contract this year.

Dragonslayer,
Unfortunately Garrick failed to grasp his chance last week. Realistically Periera and Allgood would have to rely on injuries and great form in the NSW Cup to play NRL. Field in his short stint last week showed his value - perhaps he is being given the chance to play a full game in Reserve grade. I am disappointed that Herbert who was a standout in his trial game last week has not been given a chance.

Similarly disappointed about Host if it means he is out of the mix. But I have already posted on the subject of his omission.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I thought that Host played well apart from the try which was probably more the fault of Sele. Host got little time compared to Leilua, Lawrie and Sele none of whom along with Allgood was impressive. Mary is a dumbo.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I thought that Host played well apart from the try which was probably more the fault of Sele. Host got little time compared to Leilua, Lawrie and Sele none of whom along with Allgood was impressive. Mary is a dumbo.
Perhaps it's time for Mary to replace his Rose Colored Glasses

hermidale1

Juniors
Host has dropped out of the side. Looks like the coach has made his mind up about the left-edge second row rotation.
The coach made his decision
There is no doubt the coach made his mind up long before selection to cut the kid before the first trial.
Mary stated that him , Leilua and Simms were in the running for the left edge spot left available by Thompson yet only Leilua and Simms played there against Hull.
Last year he struggled getting any quality game time as a right edge player and the service from McCrone was shocking. The block plays were predictable and everyone could see it. Yet when he played outside Widdop on the left edge he looked good.
2016 he was used as a middle.
The kid is still 21.
So while Mary is coach he will be stuffed around.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I suppose you could look at the coaching staff want them to play a full game in reggies to build fitness. We cant play everyone in 1st trial and it would mean someone like Field who got 7mins last week and possibly the same this week then have no fitness/game time before rd1.

However, it seems more likely that Sims is favoured for the edge roll with Latimore being the 4th prop.

BennyV

Referee
Host just lacked impact on the weekend. He really needed to rip in like Kerr and Sele. The last Hull try where he and Sele let in a try probably didn’t help either.

Mary is fond of the power game which really isn’t his forte. Host is more a classic edge forward who can run lines and play the Cordner or Hoffman role.

I think Host is a good player but just another example of a very promising player not developed correctly by our inept coaching staff.
Shouldn’t be compared to Kerr and Sele, he’s not a middle. Should be compared to Sims and Luc, the former works better as a middle at this stage of his career and Host played better than the latter...

Latest posts