What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
Ryles has a contract with the Roosters until the end of 2024.
Depending on different reports and who you listen to, whilst Ryles might be the man the club wants, he may not become available until 2025.

Jim Dragons

Juniors
The no 1 key for the new Coach is which one can attract players to the Big Red V ??
Hasler Maguire Ryles Young Hannay Flanagan
Thinking Des `or Flanagan
Might be where the rookie coaches could struggle
I think the No 1 issue that needs to be solved is pulling the club together as one unit. Some will say that this is not a coaches role - but the next coach should know it needs to be fixed and expect to be part of the drive. I would expect him to have ideas on what will work.
Second issue is to have a coach focused on development of our juniors.
Next we need a coach to develop a sense team/club.
I would argue that the basis of the current team is capable of winning Footy games. We have won 2 games and were in winning situations in the other two. But I agree we do need a coach who knows what good players look like... and better still what good people look like.
I think the coach who ticks most of those boxes would be Flanno. Bonus is he is an ex player (but not in a nepolistic way or tied to either the Dragons or Steelers). He is also familiar with some of our current processes and should know what to fix and what works here.
He is also strong enough to demand a workable situation overall.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Ryles has a contract with the Roosters until the end of 2024.
Depending on different reports and who you listen to, whilst Ryles might be the man the club wants, he may not become available until 2025.

well the management should be all over it.

if they decide he is the man. Then sign him. Then talk with rorters and check if they will release early, if not then take Flanno or Hasler as a 1 year mercenary, or let Hook manage another year if we have to.

alternatively decide another way and execute

denis preston

First Grade
if Ryles signed on for 2025 the rorters wouldn’t chance it of taking players with him so would release him early

Flanno been there and done it.....too many of the boom rookie coaches fail when put in the top job. Let the rookies get their experience elsewhere.

Coffs dragon

Bench
The longer this coaching indecision plays out, I’m of the opinion it’s a smokescreen for what seems may have already been decided.
It may be criticised , but I feel Dean Young is in the box seat & there will be spin coming once announced.
Any well managed club should not need to advertise for a coach, that important decision should be head hunted & confidential.

Dragon David

First Grade
The longer this coaching indecision plays out, I’m of the opinion it’s a smokescreen for what seems may have already been decided.
It may be criticised , but I feel Dean Young is in the box seat & there will be spin coming once announced.
Any well managed club should not need to advertise for a coach, that important decision should be head hunted & confidential.
I am liking what you say Coffs but I'm not too sure about Dean Young, however, Todd Payten reckons he is ready to be a Head Coach in the NRL, so you could be right.

There is an article in Codes Sports behind a paywall, but if you go to the thread started by Hewi, you can get the story from that of what Todd Payten says about Young.

Last edited:

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I think the No 1 issue that needs to be solved is pulling the club together as one unit. Some will say that this is not a coaches role - but the next coach should know it needs to be fixed and expect to be part of the drive. I would expect him to have ideas on what will work.
Second issue is to have a coach focused on development of our juniors.
Next we need a coach to develop a sense team/club.
I would argue that the basis of the current team is capable of winning Footy games. We have won 2 games and were in winning situations in the other two. But I agree we do need a coach who knows what good players look like... and better still what good people look like.
I think the coach who ticks most of those boxes would be Flanno. Bonus is he is an ex player (but not in a nepolistic way or tied to either the Dragons or Steelers). He is also familiar with some of our current processes and should know what to fix and what works here.
He is also strong enough to demand a workable situation overall.
I agree with everything you say except I would think it needs someone like a Bellamy. Imagine the immediate positive impact his appointment would have on all things throughout the organisation. And he has the record to show he can manage up and down and succeed over long periods of time. The players would immediately know they have to buy in or ship out, young up and comers would be attracted to the club at a lower cost and he would have the South Coast nursery to build a decade strong team.

Flanno could do it but it would not be as much of a sure thing as Craig Bellamy in my opinion.

Of course I am dreaming.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I am liking what you say Coffs but I'm not too sure about Dean Young, however, Todd Payten reckons he is ready to be a Head Coach in the NRL, so you could be right.

There is an article in Codes Sports behind a paywall, but if you go to the thread started by Hewi, you can get the story from that of what Todd Payten says about Young.
Hey DD, I’m sure Todd Payten wouldn’t be saying that stuff if Deano was sticking around the Cowboys for a few more years as his trusty assistant.
I reckon he’s blowing Deanos trumpet for a reason!
The same stuff was said about Fitzgibbon & Ciraldo, before they left the Roosters & Panthers to be a Head Coach.

Parko1310

Juniors
Deano was at WIN stadium on Saturday watching the game.

I wonder how his job interview went?
Far out it's concerning if the club choose to go with Young. They don't even need to hit the panic button and get a different coach next year realistically. If Ryles is the man they really want but he won't be available until 2025, extend Hook for a year as coach and then move him into the GM role after that. Sign up Ryles for 2025 and beyond. If Ryles is who you want most, why get Deano in for 2024 and beyond and miss out, just because you can't wait another year. Young is still very very fresh in the coaching scene, hasn't got enough experience, and from what I've seen isn't the right option no matter what way you look at it.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Far out it's concerning if the club choose to go with Young. They don't even need to hit the panic button and get a different coach next year realistically. If Ryles is the man they really want but he won't be available until 2025, extend Hook for a year as coach and then move him into the GM role after that. Sign up Ryles for 2025 and beyond. If Ryles is who you want most, why get Deano in for 2024 and beyond and miss out, just because you can't wait another year. Young is still very very fresh in the coaching scene, hasn't got enough experience, and from what I've seen isn't the right option no matter what way you look at it.
Now that is what I call jumping to conclusions! Maybe Dean was visiting his dad and decided to catch a game being played by his old team.

Ok, maybe not too, but we really don't know do we?

Parko1310

Juniors
Now that is what I call jumping to conclusions! Maybe Dean was visiting his dad and decided to catch a game being played by his old team.

Ok, maybe not too, but we really don't know do we?
That's why I said if they choose to go with Young. Wasn't so much a comment on his attendance, but it is well known he'll be applying for the job. My comments are more on the potential of the club rushing to a decision and foregoing their favoured option, to instead get Dean Young who I believe isn't ready to be an NRL head coach.

SGMax

Juniors
That's why I said if they choose to go with Young. Wasn't so much a comment on his attendance, but it is well known he'll be applying for the job. My comments are more on the potential of the club rushing to a decision and foregoing their favoured option, to instead get Dean Young who I believe isn't ready to be an NRL head coach.

Yes, I agree.
It was only 2.5 years since Dean had a short stint as caretaker for zero impact.
Since that time he has only held down the NQ position as assistant coach.
No experience as head coach either here or in England.

If we are going to gamble with a rookie I would prefer Ryles.
Otherwise I am warming to Hasler as the best chance for a quick turnaround.

I would like to state that Hook has improved the joint as far as adding young players and the salary cap.
We are about 2 good signings away from a good team, particularly if the juniors also develop as we hope.
Not sure if Hook can get those players to the Dragons especially with the Board not being all in with him.

Latest posts