What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colonial Cup 2012

druzik

Juniors
Lets get talking. Its only a week and a bit away and the Tomahawks are travelling to Toronto to take on the Wolverines.

Canada have a 2-0 record this year
USA have a 1-1 record this year

USA lead Canada 11-1 in overall match up, but the Canadians has the last win in 2011.

I'll be heading up to Toronto to see this match and then the return match two weeks later in Fairfield Uni, CT.

Any thoughts peeps?

photomarv

Juniors
Lets get talking. Its only a week and a bit away and the Tomahawks are travelling to Toronto to take on the Wolverines.

USA lead Canada 11-1 in overall match up, but the Canadians has the last win in 2011.

I'll be heading up to Toronto to see this match and then the return match two weeks later in Fairfield Uni, CT.

Any thoughts peeps?

Should be a pretty good game. Canada has really made some strides in the last few years and aint joking around. I think the Tomahawks will have a game on their hands.. I haven't seen the U.S. roster for this, but I would love to see Kevin Wiggins from the Bulls (last year he was with the USARL Philly Fight), this kid is a BEAST, damn good player..

And of course it is hard to believe none of the USARL guys are eligible. I truly believe a Tomahawks squad made up of both of our domestic leagues could hold its own maybe not against the AUS, NZL, ENG countries, but everyone else below, even without our international players.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
I would really like to see an unbiased report comparing the two games (Toronto and Fairfield) from someone who will be onsite at both contests. Say - that would be you dru. I really don't care about the score - that will be easy enough to access - but more the presentation of the contest. Game day atmosphere, quality of facility, crowd size, on-field officials qualifications, media accessibility, that type of thing.

druzik

Juniors
I would really like to see an unbiased report comparing the two games (Toronto and Fairfield) from someone who will be onsite at both contests. Say - that would be you dru. I really don't care about the score - that will be easy enough to access - but more the presentation of the contest. Game day atmosphere, quality of facility, crowd size, on-field officials qualifications, media accessibility, that type of thing.

Yep that can be done. I will be at both of them.

islandlion

Juniors
Because the Ontario comp struggled some this year and BC has a game vs Utah on Sep 8, I expect there will be many familiar faces in the Candian lineup. Probably a couple new players but for the most part a similar team to those that knocked off the T'Hawks last year in Ontario. The Canadians are a physical team and play well at home. I feel like we know what's going to come from them.
The questions start to arise when you take a look at the USA side. Which team are we going to get? The one that flogged Jamaica and South Africa at the WCQ's or the one that got beat by the twenty something ranked Wolverines in 2011? Will stand out Aussie born 5/8 Luke Hume be available or will he be playing yawnion with the Eagles? Halfback Damian O'malveney has not kitted up since he took injury against Ireland in March, is he healthy? Fullback Kenny Britt and Hooker Apple Pope were injured in week 1 with the Bulls and have yet to return, are they ready to go? Center Akarika Dawn signed with the Bulls and then fell off the face of the earth, if he's available, is he even fit enough to play? Utility Matt Walsh is still feeling the effects of a brutal GF and is day to day. Three Tomahawks are still in Ipswich with the Jets and are unavailable. How many Island fellas are going to be shipped in for this one?
Until we see a team list from the USA it's going to be difficult to know how competitve the game will be. My guess is that we will see plenty of new faces on the Tomahawks and the lack of team chemistry makes this a really tough day out. Especially when you take into consideration that the Canadian team has been playing together regularly for 3 years now.

islandlion

Juniors
Just re-read my post. From the lineup that played Ireland in March, the starting hooker, halfback, 5/8, fullback and utility are all questionable for this game against Canada. Tough to be missing guys in those key positions.

Bluebags1908

Juniors

Any thoughts peeps?

Canada has beaten USA on one other occasion, in the first ever international between the two countries in 1987 by 23-10.

A short-lived 4-team domestic competition, known as the Tri-Counties Rugby League was established in or around 1986. Four teams competed in its first year, three in Canada one in the U.S., the New York-based Adirondacks club. The USA team was made up of American players from this club plus extras from Pennsylvania.

The match is listed on the AMNRL website results page - http://www.amnrl.com/teams/usa-tomahawks

druzik

Juniors
Canada has beaten USA on one other occasion, in the first ever international between the two countries in 1987 by 23-10.

A short-lived 4-team domestic competition, known as the Tri-Counties Rugby League was established in or around 1986. Four teams competed in its first year, three in Canada one in the U.S., the New York-based Adirondacks club. The USA team was made up of American players from this club plus extras from Pennsylvania.

The match is listed on the AMNRL website results page - http://www.amnrl.com/teams/usa-tomahawks

You are right, the the AMNRL better change what they are saying as well.

11-2 it is then!

amnrlfan

Juniors
Who from the 95 WC player pool will be playing ?

The Tomahawk squad will most likely be made up of who ever can make it that weekend. If Pope doesn't kit up then who is the Captain? I can see the team being made up of players from the Knights Bulls Wildcats Raiders.

Craigo

Juniors
Because the Ontario comp struggled some this year and BC has a game vs Utah on Sep 8, I expect there will be many familiar faces in the Candian lineup.

With the Wolverines going gangbusters with fantastic crowds, what did actually happen with the domestic Ontario comp this year and what are the plans for it in the future?

Dakink

Bench
Could Canada be the opposite to the prescribed view of bottom up? Could senior international exposure and success drive lower level domestic growth in the game?

As a foreigner I am curious as to the cultural attitudes of both Canada and the USA. Is there a QLD/NSW cup, group domestic structure under the NFL? Are there competitions for players who don't make the top level or even just wanna play the game?

spooky

Juniors
I'll be heading up to Toronto to see this match

Don't forget to come and say hello! I wont be too difficult to spot :)

I expect the Canadian team to be very similar to the one that beat Lebanon. We might see the addition of Lamb and Conlan in the forwards - neither were available for the Lebanon game. Have no idea yet who's in the US lineup.

Fingers crossed for decent weather and we should have at least 3k there although I know they are hoping for more. Some of the Wolverines were on Breakfast TV last week and I expect there'll be some more build up this week.

druzik

Juniors
Don't forget to come and say hello! I wont be too difficult to spot :)

I expect the Canadian team to be very similar to the one that beat Lebanon. We might see the addition of Lamb and Conlan in the forwards - neither were available for the Lebanon game. Have no idea yet who's in the US lineup.

Fingers crossed for decent weather and we should have at least 3k there although I know they are hoping for more. Some of the Wolverines were on Breakfast TV last week and I expect there'll be some more build up this week.

Will do.

Seems that the Wolverines treat every international as if its a world cup final?

Craigo

Juniors
You start to imagine what could have the AMNRL been if it were run by a competent organisation such as the Candian RL folk.

I think the USARL have the right model to work in America, good crowds, facilities, exposure and most importantly junior and reserve grade development, but unfortunately they are not even recognised. The RLIF won't step in and its dissapointing the AMNRL cant do whats best for the game in the U.S and sort the mess out.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I think the USARL have the right model to work in America, good crowds, facilities, exposure and most importantly junior and reserve grade development, but unfortunately they are not even recognised. The RLIF won't step in and its dissapointing the AMNRL cant do whats best for the game in the U.S and sort the mess out.

It doesnt really matter they can still grow bigger than the amnrl

spooky

Juniors
Will do.

Seems that the Wolverines treat every international as if its a world cup final?

They certainly will this one. They want to win every game but this one matters the most to them for many reasons, not least their World Cup 2017 aspirations.

spooky

Juniors
Canada Team expected to be

Robin Legault
Tony Felix
Geoff Bylund
Christian Miller
Jared Curry
Matt Wyles
Jamie Lester ©
Keegan Watcham-Roy
Graham Dobbs
Louis Robinson
Cam Grace
Henry Miers
Chris Chalmers
Matt Pettie
Enoch Wamalwa
Mike Thorne
John Felix

Over the moon to see Louis back in the pack but disappointed that winger Justing Redguard had to miss this through injury. He scored an absolutely breathtaking try against Lebanon last time out. That said I'm sure young Jared Curry will do a fine job. Great to see players from BC and Ottawa in the squad

Taken from http://www.canadarug...le.php?id=10192

The USA squad is

Fitzjames Adams (NY Knights), Gareth Baxendale (NY Knights), Luke Collins (PA Bulls), Bryan Confer (PA Bulls), Curtis Cunz (CT Wildcats), John Dykeman (NY Knights), Todd Fisher (NY Knights), Kelly McGill (Hawaii), Vai Notoa (Hawaii), Justin Ripley (NY Knights), Ben Sadgrove (NY Knights), Mike Schacter (CT Wildcats), Dennis Schmeiler (CT Wildcats), Sean Taylor (NY Knights), Louis Tulio (PA Bulls), Dusten Umeda (CT Wildcats), Matt Walsh (CT Wildcats), Kevin Wiggins (PA Bulls)

Taken from http://www.wearerugb...es-game-1-squad

All domestic players.

For score updates follow me on twitter & I'll do my best to keep up! (@Spookylish)