What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

oikee

Juniors
Canberra just needs a enclosed stadium. Nothing wrong with them as a team.
You say that Sydney makes 2/3rd of the TV contract, that is nothing to right home about. They have 10 teams to Brisbane's 1.
And to rub salt into the wound, the Broncos only play in Brisbane every second week, we have a dead spot in Brisbane because of the way the NRL has been run.
Look, the reason the game is gouing backwards is because other codes are intruding on our heartlands. And that is because of our stadium issues, only having 1 team in Brisbane and NZ, and trying to prop up all the Sydney teams.
They need to come in, chop Sydney into 6 areas. Not part of the team here, then just over 5 suburbs and the other half is down their, down that road around the bend at the end of that no-through road.
You get the picture.
Sydney is a basketcase, always has been since the war. Manly stuffed their merger up, St George is still not right, the Sharks should merge with he Tigers and become the Tigers sharks.

The only other way to keep all Sydney teams would be a Sydney relegation system.
I think this would work and they could make it every 3 years. Problem is the game again wont like this idea, they would prefer to keep all the Sydney teams. Well the game cant grow while we have all the Sydney teams. We cant move into Brisbane, NZ, Perth or Adelaide while we try to hang onto every Sydney club.
So your wasting millions of extra fans and players to keep a unhealthy Sydney comp alive, and that is basically all our code is, a unhealthy Sydney comp.
No good trying to say otherwise, we cant grow, our audiences and fans have stagnated and going backwards.

This will continue as every other code builds a four pillar comp in every city because they dont have the weight around their neck as the NRL does in Sydney.
You can argue till your blue in the water that we need all the sydney teams. No we dont, and the sooner we start merging and chopping the sooner the game will grow.

BuffaloRules

Coach
To all the waffle in the two posts above me written by posters outside Sydney which I note have disregarded the requests to keep the discussion on topic, a couple of very quick points;

It's not just some Sydney clubs that have had financial issues. Newcastle, Gold Coast, Melbourne etc are all bleeding.

Yes Wests have had their issues this week, but surely you aren't seriously suggesting they go? They are one of the most popular clubs in the NRL.

Crowds are down at most clubs I can think of, not just the Sydney clubs. I remember when the Broncos used to get 50k crowds to that shyte hole QE 2 stadium.

Stop trying to say that the current woes of the game are only confined to the Sydney clubs.

BuffaloRules

Coach
They need to come in, chop Sydney into 6 areas. Not part of the team here, then just over 5 suburbs and the other half is down their, down that road around the bend at the end of that no-through road.
You get the picture.
Sydney is a basketcase, always has been since the war. Manly stuffed their merger up, St George is still not right, the Sharks should merge with he Tigers and become the Tigers sharks.

Out of all your drivel I couldn't let this stupidity pass by

You say all the Sydney mergers haven't worked, so your solution is to have more mergers!

And best of all the Sharks with Wests! You are contradicting what you have said earlier in the same quote!

Can you at least look at a map of Sydney before you contribute to this argument again?

Better yet, leave your ramblings for The Roar.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It has happened before with North Shore. The AFL targeted the area following the Bears demise, and a decade later it is the strongest area in the city for the game.

Did it? Have the swans crowds really increased from ex bears supporters? Are there really anymore people watching afl on TV in Sydney? Are kids kicking sheridans around in school playgrounds in north Sydney or still chucking steedens at each other?

Are the north shore bombers a bigger club than the north Sydney bears?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok back to the Brothers bid. I have created another thread to continue the other discussions.

One thing the Brothers could focus on to really get the NRL support over the others would be to forget about Fnq and focus on NT as part of their bid. NT is ripe to be a RL as the primary sport if we could have a decent long term strategy to develop the game there with the ntrl and get a regular NRL club presence they can become members of. Well done on Eels for starting this but we need better.

If I was Brothers I would have a NT strategy that included pre season game in Alice and 2-3 games a year in Darwin. Regular coaching clinics, competitions to win tickets to Brothers games in Brisbane, NT Brothers memberships, even a jersey that represents their NT co-location. This should be much more than a few games in Darwin but a genuine link up with NTRL and co location mentality. Give ARL jnrs in NT a direct path to NRL with the Brothers.

NRL should be working with Darwin govt to get a decent rectangular stadium developed.

RUG13Y

Juniors
NT are indeed ripe, take a home game there and get a rival club to have an away game there. That'd be two NRL games a year in NT and we can all feel pretty proud of ourselves at that stage.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NT are indeed ripe, take a home game there and get a rival club to have an away game there. That'd be two NRL games a year in NT and we can all feel pretty proud of ourselves at that stage.

To me the strength of the Brothers bid is not just in taking two games to NT (any club could do that, and Eels are doing) but in actually being co identified with NT and having a genuine ongoing relationship and presence there. Have a NT under 18's brothers team in SG ball or qland equiv, have NT represented in logo or jersey, have a brothers jnr academy for NT elite under 16's, etc etc.

oikee

Juniors
Out of all your drivel I couldn't let this stupidity pass by

You say all the Sydney mergers haven't worked, so your solution is to have more mergers!

And best of all the Sharks with Wests! You are contradicting what you have said earlier in the same quote!

Can you at least look at a map of Sydney before you contribute to this argument again?

Better yet, leave your ramblings for The Roar.

I dont want to get into a duel with you but i have looked at the Sydney map and that is why i am bringing up the idea of dividing, (lets not call it merge if you get annoyed) dividing the Sydney areas into a pie.

This has alot to do with the Brothers bid, why, because we need two new teams in Brisbane not one.
The game has gone backwards with Sydney running the game. They have tried and failed to grow the game. ?or are you saying they are running fine, with the Tigers in melt-down, Parra still being run like a suburban club, not a city that it is, or am i wrong again, Parra is a little suburb, all the mail wrong and the pictures of a growing city all wrong.

Mate, you dont need to be on the ground to work out what is wrong with our code.

What you do need is someone with balls to make these calls. And nobody mentioned the Tigers being thrown out, What i would like to see is them, the Sharks and Dragons all dived into two areas. One team has to go, and i think we all know what team that will be.

If the fans blow a fuse and talk rubbish of never following the code again, so be it.

I also think the Roosters need to take over inner Sydney, Bunnies to Wellington.

Redfern is being over-run now by million dollar investors, the Bunnies dont fit into this area anymore, or am i way out again.
Seems like you have a sore tooth and pulling it out wont fix any problems.

georgesnmith

Juniors
To me the strength of the Brothers bid is not just in taking two games to NT (any club could do that, and Eels are doing) but in actually being co identified with NT and having a genuine ongoing relationship and presence there. Have a NT under 18's brothers team in SG ball or qland equiv, have NT represented in logo or jersey, have a brothers jnr academy for NT elite under 16's, etc etc.

potentially the offer the following areas :

1. 2nd brisbane team for anyone who hates broncos
2. western brisbane team via ipswich, logan etc
3. regional queensland team via mackay etc
4. northern territory

they have said that they would get grounds upgraded in all these areas. basically this bid will eliminate the need for central queensland and western coridoor in one swoop.

and we can turn NT from being 50/50 league / afl to a league state as well.

down the line perhaps another north brisbane team based on redcliffe, sunshine coast as well.

western coridoor should just join forces with brothers now and we have a winner.

edit: put training and club grounds in logan , ipswich, play 8 games at suncorp and the rest spread them around.

Last edited:

papabear

Juniors
I dont want to get into a duel with you but i have looked at the Sydney map and that is why i am bringing up the idea of dividing, (lets not call it merge if you get annoyed) dividing the Sydney areas into a pie.

This has alot to do with the Brothers bid, why, because we need two new teams in Brisbane not one.
The game has gone backwards with Sydney running the game. They have tried and failed to grow the game. ?or are you saying they are running fine, with the Tigers in melt-down, Parra still being run like a suburban club, not a city that it is, or am i wrong again, Parra is a little suburb, all the mail wrong and the pictures of a growing city all wrong.

Mate, you dont need to be on the ground to work out what is wrong with our code.

What you do need is someone with balls to make these calls. And nobody mentioned the Tigers being thrown out, What i would like to see is them, the Sharks and Dragons all dived into two areas. One team has to go, and i think we all know what team that will be.

If the fans blow a fuse and talk rubbish of never following the code again, so be it.

I also think the Roosters need to take over inner Sydney, Bunnies to Wellington.

Redfern is being over-run now by million dollar investors, the Bunnies dont fit into this area anymore, or am i way out again.
Seems like you have a sore tooth and pulling it out wont fix any problems.
You are off the mark.

The rabbitohs are well more appreciated in the city / Sydney then easts. Whilst redfern and south Sydney has gone up in price it retains its support in these areas.

The game has not gone backwards in Sydney its humming along fine. If its struggling anywhere look at Queensland GC are getting no one to there games, NQ crowds are down and even Brisbane is on the nose despite overexposure and being owned by the same club that owns the local paper.

I agree Brisbane could do with a second club but that's only so it could provide competition to the broncos, in my opinion there is an argument for kicking the GC back out and bringing in a second Brisbane club.

The NSWRL expanded into the ARL then merged with superleague to become the NRL. The QRL remains a suburban comp we don't need lessons of growth from it.

Remember the last expansion into QLD was the Gold Coast, I am yet to see why the Gold Coast was a better bet then the Central Coast Bears.

oikee

Juniors
You are off the mark.

The rabbitohs are well more appreciated in the city / Sydney then easts. Whilst redfern and south Sydney has gone up in price it retains its support in these areas.

The game has not gone backwards in Sydney its humming along fine. If its struggling anywhere look at Queensland GC are getting no one to there games, NQ crowds are down and even Brisbane is on the nose despite overexposure and being owned by the same club that owns the local paper.

I agree Brisbane could do with a second club but that's only so it could provide competition to the broncos, in my opinion there is an argument for kicking the GC back out and bringing in a second Brisbane club.

The NSWRL expanded into the ARL then merged with superleague to become the NRL. The QRL remains a suburban comp we don't need lessons of growth from it.

Remember the last expansion into QLD was the Gold Coast, I am yet to see why the Gold Coast was a better bet then the Central Coast Bears.

Ok, the Sydney market has to relocate two brands to new cities.
So dont merge them, just send the area with the team name back to NSW cup. Their drand will stay alive in the new city of choice, plus they can become a feeder team for that club.

That is the simple solution to Sydney, end of argument.

As for Brisbane and the Gold Coast. No way, no way in the world do you cut the Titans, not this time. never again.

No, to help the Titans you wake up and grow Brisbane.
Brisbane needs two new teams. Let me explain.

By adding two new teams to brisbane, lets say the Brothers and Bombers, your going to improve the titans.
The Titans will then get a extra 4 derby games added to the games they already play now from Cows and Broncos.
That grows the game.
With the two extra Brisbane teams you also get a game every friday night from Suncorp in Brisbane, and a extra game in brisbane every second weekend on either the saturday or the sunday arvo.

That then allows Brisbane to grow a big market for rugby league in Brisbane, and Queensland by adding the extra teams derbies to Townsville and the Gold Coast cities.

Look, the game needs to start becoming smarter in what they do, how they grow and promote the game.
Brisbane is a market that can double growth for the code, maybe even more than double.

Any business in the world that looked at this code could see the huge growth market just sitting and rotting away in Brisbane.
I can see it and i am not even into marketing, it just sits and hits you in the face, it really is that obviously.
Maybe not 5 years ago, but now the market is ripe, and the longer the code elaves that market, again, the harder it gets to crack.
Same as Perth, same as NZ.
The code needs to act now, while we are struggling.

oikee

Juniors
i think oikee is john ribot in disguise.

Just love the code and want the best for it.
I really dont want any Sydney teams gone.
I like the fact that they can move, relocate to a new city but still stay alive as a feeder club. So the games played in Sydney still get support because that team is the feeder team.

Look, these are just ideas.
All the time i am trying to grow ideas of how we can grow the game wihtout losing fans.
I hate people who say they will walk away if their team moves.
Move with the team you love them that much.
If the sharks did go to Wellington, then find a job across the ditch and move with them.

I have changed my support from the Broncos to the new team when that happens.
Mind you i now live outta town.
But still, fans need to be doing more to help the game grow, at the moment they are not even turning up to games.
With that support, who needs enemies.

oikee

Juniors
Just out of interest, would you support the second Brisbane team if they were the Brisbane Bears or a relocated Sydney club?

No, not the Bears but i know my wife would. Every woman loves a little bear.
That is why bears are popular, same as tigers.

Because my dad had a connection to Brothers is why i could support them.
I use to love the Valleys Diehards. I lived across the road from their junior clubhouse in Brisbane at one stage. (cannon hill)
Moved to Wynnum, why i liked the Wynnum Seagulls, and i was member of Easts league club Coorparoo, as was my dad and mum and half our clan, gee whiz, i think everyone was a member of easts.
Got plastered their for me 21st if i remember correctly.
I orginally played for Newtown Toowoomba then for the Roosters here in Toowoomba, before we moved to Brisbane in 73-74 floods in Brisbane, lived at East Brisbane.
Helped clean up two sets of floods now.
Brisbane 74
Toowoomba 2010

Last edited:

juanfarkall

Coach
No, not the Bears but i know my wife would. Every woman loves a little bear.
That is why bears are popular, same as tigers.

Because my dad had a connection to Brothers is why i could support them.
I use to love the Valleys Diehards. I lived across the road from their junior clubhouse in Brisbane at one stage. (cannon hill)
Moved to Wynnum, why i liked the Wynnum Seagulls, and i was member of Easts league club Coorparoo, as was my dad and mum and half our clan, gee whiz, i think everyone was a member of easts.
Got plastered their for me 21st if i remember correctly.
I orginally played for Newtown Toowoomba then for the Roosters here in Toowoomba, before we moved to Brisbane in 73-74 floods in Brisbane, lived at East Brisbane.
Helped clean up two sets of floods now.
Brisbane 74
Toowoomba 2010

Valleys juniors are at Grange.

RedVee

First Grade
If Brothers get in, I hope they go for a green & white hoops or butchers stripes as an alternate jersey. I'd consider getting one.
I mainly hope that a historic brand like Brothers would be able to resist the lure of radical and ever changing jersey designs.

C'mon the Brethren!