What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rubbish, that is just a cop out. Poor marketing, poor game day experience, poor atmosphere, poor facilities, silly prices and lack of hype around the game (due to poor marketing) is to blame.
To say a game is better watched sat at home is simply not true if it is a great live experience. Bit like saying listening to a band's CD in comfort of your home is a better experience than going to a great concert.

Apathy is a hard thing to combat but the NRL needs to get off its backside and make a start. The stats show crowds have been static for 7 years.

BunniesMan

Immortal
why go to a game when you can stay home & watch it? In the future rugby league will be played in stadiums with just corporate boxes, no seats for the general public.
The crowds in the last 6-7 seasons is the best period we've ever had for crowds. In that time we've had more tv coverage than ever. Fail logic baldie.

Crowds aren't going to jump up every single year, some years they'll stay even, some years they might go down slightly. But they're still excellent compared to years ago.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The crowds in the last 6-7 seasons is the best period we've ever had for crowds. In that time we've had more tv coverage than ever. Fail logic baldie.

Crowds aren't going to jump up every single year, some years they'll stay even, some years they might go down slightly. But they're still excellent compared to years ago.

Problem is they are not really moving at all for a number of years

Over the last 7 years there has been insignificant Avg crowd growth and doesn;t look like that will change this year.

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Meh i thought the crowds tonight were ok considering the poor form and low draw of some of the teams playing. 3 games in 1 night in Sydney and each of them got crowds of 13K+.

That's a pass mark as far as I'm concerned.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yes but people are blaming tv when in the last 7 years as a whole (nevermind the lack of growth for a second) crowds are better than ever in an era when tv coverage and especially live coverage is more extensive than ever. So bad logic.

Instead of looking at the negative, look at the positive. Yes we haven't gained in the last 7 years but we haven't gone backwards, so in that period we've solidified the gains we made in previous years.

Also, as a fan of both codes one of rugby leagues strengths hurts the game when it comes to crowds. The product is so good as a tv product. Due to the nature of the game you see pretty much everything you need to see on TV. On the other hand AFL is much better watched live than on tv so of course AFL fans will go to games because you miss a lot of the game while watching on TV.

League doesn't have that problem which is good for ratings but not so good for crowds. At home you're a lot more comfortable with people you like and food you like while not really missing any of the product beyond atmosphere.

In the future the ARLC and the clubs should continue and will continue to work on improving crowds but they'll always be working with that handicap.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also, as a fan of both codes one of rugby leagues strengths hurts the game when it comes to crowds. The product is so good as a tv product. Due to the nature of the game you see pretty much everything you need to see on TV. On the other hand AFL is much better watched live than on tv so of course AFL fans will go to games because you miss a lot of the game while watching on TV.

RL Myth no 156

baldie

Juniors
Meh i thought the crowds tonight were ok considering the poor form and low draw of some of the teams playing. 3 games in 1 night in Sydney and each of them got crowds of 13K+.

That's a pass mark as far as I'm concerned.

both last years grand finalist were playing

jimmee007

Juniors
After becoming a member for about 4 years now, I enjoy watching the game live at the ground over television. As a league purist I can see defensive patterns, holes open up guys cover defend watch backlines get formed and more importantly cheer on my team and give crap to the opposition and their fans. In saying this i used to be a huge couch potato and watch all games from the longue.

I am actually starting find watching footy on TV one dimensional and find myself attending more games even without my team playing.

If more of our fans actually got off the bums and got out there more often we would create better atmospheres and create better game day experiences.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think alot of the Penrith crowd was crammed into the western stand to get out of the hot sun. Quite a few on the hills too, 13K sounds about right.

Spot on. I couldn't see any seats spare on the Western Terrace.

The sun on the east is a killer and except for 2 bays on the east & 3 on the West. The rest of the terrace is GA. So why sit in the sun or the hill when you can sit in the shade on a seat?

Neither us or the Sharks have played consistantly well the last few years. So hardly going to pack the place out so that's a handy crowd.

docbrown

Coach
After becoming a member for about 4 years now, I enjoy watching the game live at the ground over television. As a league purist I can see defensive patterns, holes open up guys cover defend watch backlines get formed and more importantly cheer on my team and give crap to the opposition and their fans.

This is true. At the ground you can see the changes along the line in both attack and defence that tend to get cropped off on TV. That's where upcoming plays are developed.

Also when there's a bit hit you get the crowd recoiling and applauding.

That said it's the perfect game for TV. Movement left to right lends itself to pans and the lateral/backward passing movement fits within the slow tilt up and down. The play the ball/10 metres set up is very similar to an NFL scrimmage set up except it doesn't take ages to reset meaning that although there's a structured setpiece the momentum of the game doesn't stop. When you see a big hit in the NRL you can see it man on man, you're not waiting just for the replay because it was missed the first time around.

age.s

First Grade
After becoming a member for about 4 years now, I enjoy watching the game live at the ground over television. As a league purist I can see defensive patterns, holes open up guys cover defend watch backlines get formed and more importantly cheer on my team and give crap to the opposition and their fans. In saying this i used to be a huge couch potato and watch all games from the longue.

I am actually starting find watching footy on TV one dimensional and find myself attending more games even without my team playing.

If more of our fans actually got off the bums and got out there more often we would create better atmospheres and create better game day experiences.

So true, top post. In the same boat myself. You can't see the ruck as well but that's one of the less intesting parts of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts