What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowds for the World Cup

Angry_eel

First Grade
A game likat should be played in front of 80000 fans with millions watching on tv.
But in this world the sh*t that was South Africa v England got what League deserves.

You're a dumb f**k. How the f**k was anyone to know it would be a game like that?

Im glad the game wasn't in Homebush. The atmosphere would have been sh*t.

rlo

Juniors
The "Kiwi" chant was bloody loud, were the Poms joining in too?

When I saw the crowd figure, 50,600, I was amazed. I guess those empty rows of seats must've been filled out later in the match. Did the English contingent come in late? Perhaps when they realized Australia wasn't going to romp home?

Teddyboy

First Grade
You're a dumb f**k. How the f**k was anyone to know it would be a game like that?

Im glad the game wasn't in Homebush. The atmosphere would have been sh*t.
Don' f**kin dickhead all your life.
Iam saying in a perfect world the RLWC game should be playing in front of 80000 crowds with millions tuning in all over the place because the game deserves it.
Stuff like the Rugby Union world finals don't deserve the hype and neither does the Super Bowl.

Leagues always been dealt the sh*t cards and it yet it pisses all over Union/AFL/GAA/Soccer and NFL.

Brutus

Referee
A game likat should be played in front of 80000 fans with millions watching on tv.
But in this world the sh*t that was South Africa v England got what League deserves.

The RL WC finished with an average of 16,400 fans per game including 50k to the final.

How many other 'World Cups' can claim such numbers over the last 5 or so years? There would only been a select amount of sports that could.

Soccer, union what else? There would be a couple more I suppose. The crowds for this RLWC easily beat the last cricket WC.

boris_badenov

Juniors
The RL WC finished with an average of 16,400 fans per game including 50k to the final.

How many other 'World Cups' can claim such numbers over the last 5 or so years? There would only been a select amount of sports that could.

Soccer, union what else? There would be a couple more I suppose. The crowds for this RLWC easily beat the last cricket WC.

the last cricket world cup was actually the Twenty20 one held in South Africa in September 2007 . Those crowds easily beat the RLWC .

brad_19

Juniors
the last cricket world cup was actually the Twenty20 one held in South Africa in September 2007 . Those crowds easily beat the RLWC .

Also, if the original poster was referring to the one-day WC held in the Carribbean, the small crowds probably had something to do with the fact that matches were played in countries that have smaller (and less wealthier) populations then Australia's states alone. I also believe that the cost of tickets were catered towards tourists, meaning that for the locals to buy tickets to some of the bigger games, they had to part with close to a week's wages, or something around the mark. I don't think it's fair to compare to RLWC08 crowds to those of the 06 Cricket WC...

boris_badenov

Juniors

:lol:

baseball world cup also had higher avge attendances (18,900)

&

ice hockey went close with (15,981) albeit in much smaller venues to be fair ...

the only team sport world cup that the rlwc trounced was field hockey

Popping%2520Champagne%2520cork.jpg

Brutus

Referee
:lol:

baseball world cup also had higher avge attendances (18,900)

&

ice hockey went close with (15,981) albeit in much smaller venues to be fair ...

the only team sport world cup that the rlwc trounced was field hockey

Is that all you've got?:lol:

Some flimsy stats you've hand picked without links?:lol:

The rlwc does just fine considering the baggings it cops. 16,500 average puts many others to shame.

boris_badenov

Juniors
Is that all you've got?:lol:

Some flimsy stats you've hand picked without links?:lol:

The rlwc does just fine considering the baggings it cops. 16,500 average puts many others to shame.

you've already acknowledged that RU & Soccer are better at drawing fans to their games .

it's a fact that the cricket twety20 world cup had bigger crowds , whether you like the shortened format or not , the fact remains that it's the most popular form of the game atm .

how many other team sports have world cups ?

well , as mentioned above ... baseball ... the last one was in 2006 involving 16 national teams (including Australia) and professional players from the MLB competed . Japan were crowned world champions beating Cuba 10-6 in the Final . the finals series was played in San Diego at Petco Park the semi finals and final all attracted capacity crowds of 42,000 and the USA didn't make the semis . Those spots went to Japan , Cuba , Dominican Republic & South Korea .

& ice hockey ... the last one held in Canada in 2004 where the host nation prevailed over Finland 3-2 in the Final .

there's basketball ... the last one held in 2006 in Japan . Not a fair comparison because most of the venues had a capacity of 6,900 or less .

and the same goes for field hockey ... last held in 2006 in Germany ... the host nation defeating Australia 4-3 in the Final .

So what other team sports are there that you proudly boast that RL is better than at an international level ?

Brutus

Referee
There's a list of world cups for you Mr League fan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_cup

I'm not boasting that RL is bigger internationally than other sports, all I'm saying is that despite the doomsayers, the RL World Cup crowd averages compare favourably and out-do other "World Cups" or "World Championships".

Facts also suggest that the RL World Cup attracted bigger everage crowds than the last cricket world cup probably the one before it. I mean I have a vivid memory of watching Australia play Holland in the 03 cricket world cup at the pub and there was no more than 100 people there. It was great because the wonderful Bic took 3 or 4 wickets for not many.

20/20's great, but the serious World Cup in cricket is the one-day version. You can compare 20/20 world cups if you like, but that does not mean you should also dismiss the serious Cricket World Cup which is the one-day version. The one that all the top players want to participate in.

supercharger

Juniors
I am very pleased with our world cup so what it is not as big as some other sports
we have a right to stage it regardless of how others feel about it. We just have to go our own way and f**k what other sports do or what people say about our wc whether they are involved in our game or not.It's been a very good tournament delivered a profit and showcased developing nations.Remember we are basicaly starting from scratch i know this is our 13th wc but after 2000 we need to start all over the rlif were in a bad way financially now they have some money to spend progress will be made and each world cup will be better than the last.live and let live i say

rlo

Juniors
Fourth down on the list - that's not bad :p Of course that's arbitrary but to be honest I've only watched the football, cricket and union WC's before the league one.

By the way, talking about RLWC domination, the New Zealand women's team have dominated 3 out of 3 cups. According to wikipedia at least

The Rat

Juniors
nice work, yakstorm

1957: 35,820
1968: 31,526
1954: 19,761
1960: 18,367
1995: 17,707
2008: 16,400
1992: 14,289
1970: 9,816
1975: 9,737
1972: 8,922
2000: 8,514

shows the progression is up

i would think about half way back to full respect for international rugby league is where we are at currently

may it continue long into the future until the international game is accorded full and proper respect