What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Lockyer sucks at his job

How did Darren Lockyer get a job on the sideline? He conducts the worst post game interviews I've ever seen in the history of any sport. He flat out sucks.

Exhibit A: When interviewing Cameron Smith after the game during the lap of honour, he says let's keep walking so we don't lose your team mates. Lockyer then visibly draws a blank on what he's going to ask next, and eventually comes out with "But were you....confident you would play well tonight"? Smith sensing his old rep skipper is struggling in a role beyond him, validates Lockyer's utterly stupid question by directly addressing how confident they were, then goes off on a small tangent and comes back to the fact they were confident (he must've said the word confident like 5 times for Locky) to end his reply and further validate Lockyer's dumb, generic question.

Exhibit B: When interviewing Tohu Harris, he asks him another generic Lockyeresque question to which Tohu replies "I'm sorry mate, I can't hear what your saying" (probably cos he sounds like he's been gargling razor blades, not cos of crowd noise). Lockyer then just goes to the next generic question in his arsenal by asking "so how did that win feel mate". Oh dear.

Thankfully I don't have to put up with him much anymore since Sky TV got rid of channel 9 commentary, but when the big games roll around he's difficult to watch.

BLN2

Juniors
I love it how they gave the guy who can barely speak a gig in the commentary.

There are many guys on Aussie TV (cricket and league) who shouldn't be near the TV, but because of their sport careers are somehow deemed the best to stab our ear holes.

Roach is the worst though..

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
being a few metres away from him in 2015 during the lap of honour with his mic by his side and just pouting was awesome. Just did not want to be there after that result.

jk13

First Grade
Ever since he switched his expertise to coal seem gas, his football career has rapidly declined

Life's Good

Coach
How did Darren Lockyer get a job on the sideline? He conducts the worst post game interviews I've ever seen in the history of any sport. He flat out sucks.

Exhibit A: When interviewing Cameron Smith after the game during the lap of honour, he says let's keep walking so we don't lose your team mates. Lockyer then visibly draws a blank on what he's going to ask next, and eventually comes out with "But were you....confident you would play well tonight"? Smith sensing his old rep skipper is struggling in a role beyond him, validates Lockyer's utterly stupid question by directly addressing how confident they were, then goes off on a small tangent and comes back to the fact they were confident (he must've said the word confident like 5 times for Locky) to end his reply and further validate Lockyer's dumb, generic question.

Exhibit B: When interviewing Tohu Harris, he asks him another generic Lockyeresque question to which Tohu replies "I'm sorry mate, I can't hear what your saying" (probably cos he sounds like he's been gargling razor blades, not cos of crowd noise). Lockyer then just goes to the next generic question in his arsenal by asking "so how did that win feel mate". Oh dear.

Thankfully I don't have to put up with him much anymore since Sky TV got rid of channel 9 commentary, but when the big games roll around he's difficult to watch.

Couldn't agree more.

Pretty much the whole 9 commentary is very ordinary (I don't mind James Bracey). I'm fortunate to have Fox(they have their own dribblers but are streets ahead of 9) but watching the GF was a difficult experience with incorrect names, minimal insight beyond Gus and his over the top, philosophical 'on tilt(WTF???).
The obsession our sport has with ex players as commentators/media figures is just a d*ck waving contest over who can have the most 'high profile' players on their team. It doesn't add to the coverage at all.

Shorty

Staff member
The worst was when he was interviewing Cronk last week, I think pouring bleach in my ears would be less painful.

Generalzod

Immortal
last year instead of commiserating Cam for losing last years Grand Final he start with the amount of tackles he had to perform....

ed-grimley

Bench
Darren went along to nrl Centrelink and this was all they had left for him. He tried Alfie's job but kept getting lost.

King hit

Coach
Love his classic last year after the Sharks V Cowboys preliminary final when speaking to Mick Ennis

Lockyer: "Well done Mick enjoy the grand final it's your first so it will be a memorable way to finish your career"

Ennis: "It's my second mate"

axl rose

Bench
There are many guys on Aussie TV (cricket and league) who shouldn't be near the TV, but because of their sport careers are somehow deemed the best to stab our ear holes.

ABC did a good job back in the day with Peter Jackson, Boland and John Peard. Not the highest profile of players but 10x better than 9's current wood ducks.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
He's just actually got no personality.
Fittler is as dumb as a box of nail but he's got personality.

This.

Lockyer doesn't have the personality for it. Often stalls halfway through a sentence, and is just completely monotone.

Freddy is like a new puppy. Dumb as anything, but you know if you keep watching he's going to do/say something randomly entertaining

Joey is starting to grate on me a bit. When he's talking football he's great, but around that he either sees something he doesn't like and starts going off on a tangent that lasts for the rest of the game and into the post match, or he feels the need to make as many " big night out, drinking, off field antics" references as he can cram in there.