What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Directors to pursue legal challenge against NRL

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Am I correct in thinking that even if the scum win this case, then all that is will mean is that the NRL officials would have to meet again under the 'correct' process, and probably just hand out the same punishment anyway ?

Seems a massive waste of time and money, and all it will achieve is further damage to the game of Rugby League. It seems that the damaging to the game part is about all the Storm are good for currently

Helen

Juniors
Interesting..

Article

GERRY Ryan, one of the four independent directors behind the Melbourne Storm's court battle with the NRL, has confirmed he held informal talks with News Limited two months ago over the prospect of buying the club.

"Some figures were discussed, as well as terms and conditions, but nothing came of the talks," Ryan told The Weekend Australian.

He has long been linked with a takeover of the Storm given his close association with former Melbourne executive chairman John Ribot and his ongoing sponsorship of the club.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

If Gerry Ryan is doing this in a veiled attempt to take control of the club then he is single handedly killing the club IMO.

mickdo

Coach
True but I think the big difference is that Melbourne Storm executives went to the NRL, admitted guilt and handed them the smoking gun (the second set of books). They than both publicly and in the meeting with Gallop and co. agreed to accept the penalties in their entirity without coersion, without threats.

To me that follows due process and would do so in any court in the country.

Spot on. The Storm 'club' fessed up and accepted the punishment. No court is going to overturn the NRL's decision now. These Victorians pushing the legal case deserve a firing squad for the damage they are doing to the game IMO.

Lowdown

Juniors
Spot on. The Storm 'club' fessed up and accepted the punishment. No court is going to overturn the NRL's decision now. These Victorians pushing the legal case deserve a firing squad for the damage they are doing to the game IMO.

Yeah...ok. Did your mummy let you stay up past your bedtime?

RugbyFan

Juniors
I am a long suffering rugby fan living in the heart of AFL country (Melbourne) and have had to suffer the torments of AFL fans for years about rugby (or Bu#@ery as the locals call it). When the Storm appeared it was a godsend. I team I could support and one that brought matches to my door (and even to my TV at least once a decade). I agree that they breached the salary cap and technically that is against the rules of the game.
However, does anyone else in the rugby world think the salary cap a stupid idea. It forces teams to have to discard their best players, ones that they have usually spent a lot of time and money developing. It produces and artificial competition that forces players to move between teams reducing supporter/player affiliation and weakening the local club structure. It restricts the earning power of the sports best players putting pressure on them to leave the country and sometimes the sport. Lastly, it reduces every team to a mediocre level rather than allowing super teams to develop, thereby reducing the overall quality of the competition.
A salary cap is ok for AFL in Australia as they do not have any competition for players either locally or internationally.
I think it is about time sport in Australia stopped this artificial leveling of the playing field and let us see some of the great player together in great teams for a change.

I am a long suffering rugby fan living in the heart of AFL country (Melbourne) and have had to suffer the torments of AFL fans for years about rugby (or Bu#@ery as the locals call it). When the Storm appeared it was a godsend. I team I could support and one that brought matches to my door (and even to my TV at least once a decade). I agree that they breached the salary cap and technically that is against the rules of the game.
However, does anyone else in the rugby world think the salary cap a stupid idea. It forces teams to have to discard their best players, ones that they have usually spent a lot of time and money developing. It produces and artificial competition that forces players to move between teams reducing supporter/player affiliation and weakening the local club structure. It restricts the earning power of the sports best players putting pressure on them to leave the country and sometimes the sport. Lastly, it reduces every team to a mediocre level rather than allowing super teams to develop, thereby reducing the overall quality of the competition.
A salary cap is ok for AFL in Australia as they do not have any competition for players either locally or internationally.
I think it is about time sport in Australia stopped this artificial leveling of the playing field and let us see some of the great player together in great teams for a change.
without the salary cap we would return to a scenario much like in the past when manly was cashed up and bought the best players from other clubs to play reserve grade for them to keep all the talent for themselves
the rich clubs would flourish and poorer clubs like the sharks would go to the wall do you want to see an 8 team comp?

Last edited:

Keysee

Juniors
Please read all of this before replying.

A lot of posters to this forum belong to Manly or Parra, I would like to throw a hypothetical.

Next weekend - JHayne or AWatmough throw an arm and decapitate and kill a player and is not placed on report by the referee. This is obviously the worst hit ever in the NRL. The headhoncho looks at the incident and without all evidence and without notifying the judiciary decides that they are suspended for 7 years. TOTALLY IGNORES DUE PROCESS AND NRL CHARTER, but is guilty. Player is given 15 minutes before press conference to plan defence. None comes to mind. Accepts penalty.
Other 15 clubs hate Hayne and Watmough because they are good (and cheats) and so they support headhoncho decision.

Comes to light down the track that headhoncho never had the power to make the decision, never followed the process to come to the penalty, and finally IF HE HAD FOUND OUT HOW BIG THE CRIME WAS, THE PENALTY WOULD BE BIGGER..... Would you appeal ???? You all say that Storm should take their punishment (and I agree) but in Gallops haste to get on TV, he has butchered law. I think he has been exceptional for NRL but I also think in this case, he has buggered up.

IF YOU SAY F*CK THE STORM AND THE PROCESS, THEN SAY OK IF THE SCENARIO ABOVE HAPPENS TO YOUR CLUB.

STG-Dragon

Juniors

All good to say when they would all be in your team aye!

bileduct

Coach
However, does anyone else in the rugby world think the salary cap a stupid idea.
No.

The Cheats were built on players that came from other clubs that were in some instances squeezed out by the salary cap and they earned a legitimate premiership within two years.

The Cheats loved the salary cap when it worked for them, but they've decided that they don't need to play by the rules now.

Keep the salary cap, get rid of the Cheats.

bileduct

Coach
Next weekend - JHayne or AWatmough throw an arm and decapitate and kill a player and is not placed on report by the referee.
Heads just don't pop off like f**kin' cork screws, mate. It sounds to me as though your hypothetical situation involves some very malicious and deliberate manipulating of the head and neck, resulting in it's apparent removal.

If you think the referee is going to miss that, I've got an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico I'd like to sell you. Cheap.

Keysee

Juniors
Heads just don't pop off like f**kin' cork screws, mate. It sounds to me as though your hypothetical situation involves some very malicious and deliberate manipulating of the head and neck, resulting in it's apparent removal.

OK it is placed on report. But rather than responding in Gallop-speak ... would you appeal ??

bileduct

Coach
OK it is placed on report. But rather than responding in Gallop-speak ... would you appeal ??
The point would be moot.

I believe impending court action coupled with the refusal of bail would see the offender serving a lengthy sentence before he'd ever see a football field again.

There are some particularly grisly videos released by Mexican drug cartels that illustrate my point about the lack of ease it takes when it comes to removing a human head.

If we are going to talk about hypothetical situations let's at least make sure that we have some grounding in reality.

I think everyone is getting carrried away with this application by the storm directors.

This is about how NRL arrived at the penalties which is an issue of procedural fairness. Storm say the procedure wasnt followed. This is similar to other areas of administrative law.

If the storm directors are not happy that certain aspects of procedures wernt followed then its always open to them to object to the decision maker. Dont forget the storms CEO was actively involved in the penalty process & publicly agreed to it.

I will leave it up to you all to theorise (ad nuseum) as to why, collectively, the 4 storm directors now disagree with the outcome & head straight to court without first returning to the decision maker for a possible resolution ?