What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do trials count for a lot ?

Old Timer

Coach
We play the 9's with a limited squad in a modified game format.
We then play West Tigers in a more traditional 17 man format.
We then play the Charity Shield usually with a huge squad with some getting just a little bit of game time.
No doubt a few different combinations will be trialled and for some players, how you go may be heavily influenced by who is where on the paddock when you are out there.
Will we really learn anything significant keeping in mind the opposition most likely will all be experimenting too?
On a scale of 1-10 how much do you think the trials will influence round 1 selections?
For mine I think the dye is just about cast and trials are more about a bit of match fitness.
I give it a 2 as IMO only 1-2 position are up for grabs although by round 4 lots of others may be.

Drakon

Juniors
OT, I basically agree. I think the few positions up for grabs will only be influenced by a couple of really good performances. Mostly on who will partner Widdop in the halves. Maybe on bench spots too.

Bench
I don't think performances have much bearing, it will basically the same as last year with a new hooker and maybe some changes in the forwards and of course 5/8

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It all depends what's going on in McGregor's mind.
If he's going for safety first then NO the trials will not count for much as I'm sure he's already penciled in the "old guard".
If, however, he's going for a new direction, throwing caution to the wind and looking for the best combinations, then YES they would count for a lot.
There's a lot of probables/possibles that really need to be explored and only the trials will somewhat answer them, such as:
Playing Dufty at f.b
Duges to Centre
Who will play 5/8 and does Widdop move to 7
Who will be the starting pack and what combinations are on the bench.
Can McInnis play 80mins

These are just a few Q's that really need to be answered in the trials, but who really knows what McGregor's thinking.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Last year Mary said trial form would count for who played in round one . But of coarse that turned out to be bollocks .
But I would think for a kid like Dufty the trials would be a good chance to push himself forward for that number one jumper or show that when the chance comes Mary doesn't need to move Nighty there .
To answer your question O/T they don't count for much maybe a 2 or 3 out of 10 for me .

Belta

Juniors
I think although the 9's might not mean much, for some of the younger kids could be the first time they face up against seasoned FG players, and it could be a good gauge for them..they could come away with the mentality of...I marked up against so and so and you know I think I done ok..it may ease the nerves for FG debuts done the track...there is certainly some quality players participating..sides like Aukland and Cronulla are heavily stacked with some of the nrls best players...I also think the Charity Shield is taken seriously..I don't think either side want a loss and won't hold back...it could or at least should be an opportunity to really back up all the talk about erasing last years disappointing efforts and how there,s been major changes in relation to how the side will play..hopefully the host of hopefuls, Dufty, Nona, Dodd, Herbert and others do some exciting things...I think a great opportunity, and on a scale of 1 to 10, it could be a 2 or a 3 especially IF we do really well, if we are knocked out early possibly a 1

emu62

Juniors
Barring injury McWrecker would have already picked his team for round 1.Sure he will tell the press & players
all positions are open for selection.All BS as usual.If Nona, Mann or Field kill it at half in the trials, come round 1, he will say it was a tough decision but i've decided to go for McCrone due to his experience.Form = selection & vice a versa is a theory totally foreign to McWrecker

Old Timer

Coach
If he's going for safety first then NO the trials will not count for much as I'm sure he's already penciled in the "old guard".
If, however, he's going for a new direction, throwing caution to the wind and looking for the best combinations, then YES they would count for a lot.
There's a lot of probables/possibles that really need to be explored and only the trials will somewhat answer them, such as:
Playing Dufty at f.b
Duges to Centre
Who will play 5/8 and does Widdop move to 7
Who will be the starting pack and what combinations are on the bench.
Can McInnis play 80mins

These are just a few Q's that really need to be answered in the trials, but who really knows what McGregor's thinking.
I agree DS but the problem is we have 2 trials only and as much as we all like the CS it is a bit of a free for all with far too many players and all running on off ad nauseum.
Would love to see 4 real meaningful trials with different combinations trialled for at least a half a game for a couple of weeks in a row.
As I said I think trials now are all about a bit of body contact and match fitness and very little about player choices.
Anyway time will tell not long to go now.

possm

Coach
For me is a 5. We all know what did not work in 2016 so, it's time to make some changes. The new guys should be tested and given maximum time to push for a spot. Dugan to centre and Mann at 6 should be explored; we already know what McCrone can do. It would be good to see Kerr in action as well.

BennyV

Referee
empty-head.gif

coastiedragon

Juniors
Yeah they do its time to experiment with the squad we dont need mccrone he cant be 7 imo i think aiken is good but not damaging he only puts the ball under his arm and runs its like under 10s he needssome variation in his game game

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Yeah they do its time to experiment with the squad we dont need mccrone he cant be 7 imo i think aiken is good but not damaging he only puts the ball under his arm and runs its like under 10s he needssome variation in his game game

Aitken is a very good player and has to be in our 17, however, I agree with you, he's becoming a Paul Gallen V2. So if that's the case he should transform himself into a running forward. Centre is just not his go IMO.

coastiedragon

Juniors
Aitken is a very good player and has to be in our 17, however, I agree with you, he's becoming a Paul Gallen V2. So if that's the case he should transform himself into a running forward. Centre is just not his go IMO.
need some style out wide maybe a hooker off the bench

dragonssamy61

First Grade

While I agree with your Point dragon slayer .
Is he been retricted because of the style of play that they were told to play.
I think his future is in secons row as well.

Old Timer

Coach
The 9's were a jumbled mess.
The West Tigers trial also looks totally disjointed with key players out and the man it most revolves around not playing the 9's or this trial.
So does it all come down to the Charity Shield?
Or in fact does it all come down to nothing other than a best guess out of what has happened during the preseason training.
Boot camp FMD is that going to be the highlight?
We already look disorganised and a leaderless rabble.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Well the forwards are pretty much sorted. There's a bit of sorting to be done with Host, deBelin, Leilua but it doesnt matter that much who they pick, its unlikely to make a huge difference to team performance.
The backs are a different matter. Widdop will be five-eight. Halfback you can make a case for Field, Mann, Nona and McCrone. I assume they will all be given a go for at least half a trial game.
I disagree that the nines were a mess. It at least demonstrated that Field and Mann have some ability at half and that Havili has something to offer. We know a bit more than we did before.

Dragon66

Juniors

Slayer, I tend to agree. But with his aggressive nature, strong running, and rock solid defence I see his best position as a lock, just like Gallen, and playing in the middle in A and D. His skills seem limited but he has a very high workmate.

Old Timer

Coach
Re Havilli the 9's are taylor made for him to make darts up the middle.
The game against the Warriors especially as Wikii was in the middle.
In the 13's game Havilli has to lead the line speed for defence and this was where he was poor last year.
Good for a short burst but dragged his feet if on for 2 long.
If Mc Innes can play 80 Havilli is a waisted ticket on the bench but otherwise if Mc Innes is a 60 minute player only then Havilli is a must.

Latest posts