What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodged a bullit

I think that at seasons end we are grumbling on the games "we should have won " we should remember yesterday. In all my years of watching the game , this one had the classic symptoms of Dragons losing it.Backs turned & not playing to the whistle for 2 of their tries, Canberra making inroads on our outside defence but then for some reason stopped exploring that avenue , , momentum changes at critical times with 2 play the ball infringements , ball stealing & at least 5 loose ball carries and offloads to players in a worst position.. Their former worst defender cutting down Tariq 3 or 4 times when likely to score. All this in the middle of us scoring two scintillating tries! Yes we were lucky our opposition didn't get motivated to kick on as they were given many opportunities.

This was our worst performance of the year by far and now we really will see how good our coaching staff is to get the Dragons up for next weeks game.
Very good and objective analysis DP
You can add to that that we scored 8 points while Rapana was in the bin.
Good to be positive, better to be real.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am happy that we scored to great tries from beyond the oppositions 20 metre zone yesterday. Along with the first try we scored against East, they are the 3 best tries that I can recall us scoring in this season.

blacksafake

First Grade
Most of us would have hooked Dufty after he dropped that first kick.....how many of you had that thought at the time, be honest.
Not me.I'm willing to take the good with the bad.
His speed is something we have lacked for ages.Tom Turbo(who i love watching) makes more mistakes than him & he's played for Australia.The defence are on edge when players like him have the ball in hand.Like i said sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad & hope the good outweighs the bad.

Gareth67

First Grade
The hot and cold performance by Duffy was what one would class as a ' good ' game by Dugan . The difference is that young Duffy will continue to improve as the weeks go and become a more accomplished player , he does need to work on his defence however .

Glad that they came away with those 2 ever so valuable competition points , but still a long way to go , the boys need to regather as one cohesive unit and move onwards to get 4 points ahead of the mob behind us .

ozbuck

Juniors
The Storm were horrible at home against one of the weaker sides in the comp. Bellamy said he couldn’t remember a worse performance.

Even good sides will have poor performances like we did yesterday.

At least we got to bank 2 points.

Shhhh! those who want to pin every bad thing the team does want to blame it on the coach, Mary. If their ideal coach Bellamy is part of horrible team performances too, it'll through a spanner in their argument.

the storm looked they weren't up for the game at all... blame bellamy! responsibility and accountability falls on the coach right guys??

What a jerk off post you put together.
No one is crying merely stating the obvious.
So you were happy with not playing to he whistle and gifting them 2 tries almost unopposed?
Not sure how long you have been watching them but for sure I have seen many brilliant tries probably in the 100's and indeed I saw a couple yesterday but that doesn't cover up the fact that we were lazy and leaderless at times and that is in fact not the sign of good side at all rather the sign of a side that went to sleep and probably doesn't have a full understanding of the rules.
But in all realism OT and I totally agree they were terribly soft tries but it’s not as though we let tries like that in week in week out and that try where everyone stopped will serve as a lesson going forward I think

2010Dragons

Bench
But in all realism OT and I totally agree they were terribly soft tries but it’s not as though we let tries like that in week in week out and that try where everyone stopped will serve as a lesson going forward I think

Never turning you back on the play and playing the whistle is taught at under 8's park footy.
Those two SOFT tries are just embarrassing to watch.

What were the dumb players thinking?

hazzbeen

Bench
What a jerk off post you put together.
No one is crying merely stating the obvious.
So you were happy with not playing to he whistle and gifting them 2 tries almost unopposed?
Not sure how long you have been watching them but for sure I have seen many brilliant tries probably in the 100's and indeed I saw a couple yesterday but that doesn't cover up the fact that we were lazy and leaderless at times and that is in fact not the sign of good side at all rather the sign of a side that went to sleep and probably doesn't have a full understanding of the rules.
Mate stop making sense again .....

Old Timer

Coach
Its not just that though although they are very stark in comparison.
Dumb shit penalties creeping back in.
Loose carries and then players (Nighty several times) claiming a strip
Play the ball penalties, Frizz in particular.
Loose around the ruck affording easy metres to the opposition.
Turning our back after penalties then mayhem when the opposition take a quick tap.
JDB starting to be a ball player again which is not his go just f**king run Jack and pass after you bust the line.
Not securing the ball from opposition kick offs.
Letting the ball bounce far too often.
In the 1st few weeks this was not happening but it is becoming more obvious week by week and to me indicates fatigue and is very similar occurrence to previous years.
Maybe we are that bit fitter this year and it might take a few more rounds for it to become even more apparent but they are all momentum killers.

hazzbeen

Bench
Its not just that though although they are very stark in comparison.
Dumb shit penalties creeping back in.
Loose carries and then players (Nighty several times) claiming a strip
Play the ball penalties, Frizz in particular.
Loose around the ruck affording easy metres to the opposition.
Turning our back after penalties then mayhem when the opposition take a quick tap.
JDB starting to be a ball player again which is not his go just f**king run Jack and pass after you bust the line.
Not securing the ball from opposition kick offs.
Letting the ball bounce far too often.
In the 1st few weeks this was not happening but it is becoming more obvious week by week and to me indicates fatigue and is very similar occurrence to previous years.
Maybe we are that bit fitter this year and it might take a few more rounds for it to become even more apparent but they are all momentum killers.
Also throw in Hunt Dufty Graham , that have made a difference , and that can prolong what you are saying ..... Im starting to see the slip sliding again , hope its only minor and they regroup . A win over the Panthers Old Timer could be an indication that previous years of Marys coaching wont come back to haunt us ..... Lets wait and see ......

I am happy that we scored to great tries from beyond the oppositions 20 metre zone yesterday. Along with the first try we scored against East, they are the 3 best tries that I can recall us scoring in this season.
FF - its been years (Blacklock, Mundine days) since we scored tries such as you describe.
Dufty's Solo effort was a rip snorter because he slashed them open and beat the last line effortlessly.
Just a joy to watch!

ouryears

Bench
I think that at seasons end we are grumbling on the games "we should have won " we should remember yesterday. In all my years of watching the game , this one had the classic symptoms of Dragons losing it.Backs turned & not playing to the whistle for 2 of their tries, Canberra making inroads on our outside defence but then for some reason stopped exploring that avenue , , momentum changes at critical times with 2 play the ball infringements , ball stealing & at least 5 loose ball carries and offloads to players in a worst position.. Their former worst defender cutting down Tariq 3 or 4 times when likely to score. All this in the middle of us scoring two scintillating tries! Yes we were lucky our opposition didn't get motivated to kick on as they were given many opportunities.

This was our worst performance of the year by far and now we really will see how good our coaching staff is to get the Dragons up for next weeks game.

The fact that we won whilst playing average says to me we are a wonderful footy team.

The season is always made up of good, average and poor.

Looking at other multi million dollar teams....

Melbourne played average...got beat.

Rorters played average....got beat.

Cowboys played average...got beat.

Tigers played average...got beat.

We played average....we didn't get beat.

Yippee yi yo.

Saints 4 ever!

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
We will need a massive improvement from the last 2 weeks to get anywhere near the panthers on their home turf.
Obviously we want the win but at worst, if we lose, we have to be more competitive with less silly errors and dumb penalties. The attack also needs to be more consistant than the last few weeks with more supporting the ball player/options and building pressure/consistant sets.
I believe Saints by 18.
We will be ready for them.

Latest posts