What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this mean it is dead?

roopy

Referee
It means their website has been hacked.
I'm not sure it's safe to follow that link.

Ari Gold

Bench
winnyason has been death riding this project from the beginning

He probably has a voodoo doll of Niu lying in his room.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Should have been fixed by now.

Has anyone thought to send them an email?

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
Why are you so irate winnymason and coach. Have you invested any time or money.

Get a life both of you.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
NRLUS is back, and they even updated with a message about the Spike TV gig.

Could it be possible that this SpikeTV appearence is a litmus test for the NRLUS braodcasting contract?

nadera78

Juniors
IIRC Spike TV used to show Slamball, which was created by Marc Cerceo (sp?) who is involved in the NRLUS proposal.

joshreading

Staff member
SpikeTV certainly would be a good option for RL. It would go straight to an audience that directly suits Rugby League

winnyason

Juniors
Look i am far from death riding it guys, sorry if a offended anyone, i just thought a annoucement would help everyone.

Sorry if i came over a little over the top, i like everyone here have int league in the best interests.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
Look i am far from death riding it guys, sorry if a offended anyone, i just thought a annoucement would help everyone.

Sorry if i came over a little over the top, i like everyone here have int league in the best interests.

I am sure the people involved in this have the best interests of Rugby League at heart. These guys aren't on the sidelines - they are in doing it for NOTHING - just as they have for the last 10 - 15 years and just as I am sure they will continue to do.

I am sure there have been no announcements for a reason. Even just getting the Spike deal is something that is so huge and took so much time that most people won't understand or be able to comprehend. Even a channel like Spike would make channels in Australia look like minnows.I am sure the odd derogatory post on a forum isn't going to make them make an announcement if they don't think it is the right thing to do at the time.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Didn't someone say that a lot of effort went into just getting the NRL finals screened on SpikeTV? If so I'm guessing that convincing SpikeTV to pick up of the NRL finals could be the 'well, if you're not convinced how about screening the Australian version and seeing how people like it?' measure.

I'm guessing the Slamball guy is the connection here for this deal (the NRLUS), as he already has experience selling them a sport previously, but Spike may be dragging their feet, requiring some more convincing in order to fork out the cash for a brand new sporting league which, we have to be honest, is going to be a decent ways bigger, and therefore more expensive and risky, than Slamball is.

Personally I think an extra year to get more players in place would be a good thing. Many of us doubted if they could get the players on the field so quickly so an extra year can only be a good thing. And if Spike do like the NRL finals series and decide to pick up the entire 2010 series (and maybe the Superleague) it will get an audience in place who's educated, up-to-speed and ready to watch the homegrown version. It would suck that the NRLUS is delayed but the extra year could really help get a solid start to the competition.

SignGuyDino

Juniors
How many blasphemous things can I say in one post? Let's find out.

David Niu is not above criticism because he worked hard. Shall we stop criticizing Gary Betteman of the NHL? He works hard you know... (+1)

A website that is not updated is not the way to attract investors for this year, next year, or any year. (+1)

Yes, it's nice to have the NRL playoffs on tape-delay on SpikeTV. Another good channel would be Versus. I agree it would be nice if they picked up SuperLeague for a year. I'd rather postpone it to at least 2011 to give Americans a chance to really see the game first. (+1)

I saw the AMNRL finals highlights. Folks, if anyone thinks poorly-lit fields and blue lines you can barely see is going to sell in a pro league, or even a semipro one, you're kidding yourselves. (+1)

I would suggest if they are looking for investors to partner with the United Football League, play the UFL venues in the spring and let the UFL play in the fall. Borrow or rent their new display boards for advertising.

Americans will not accept a sport where lines for league will overlap gridiron lines. Why do you think soccer fans want their own venues? There has been talk from some to bring league from 13 to 11 a side, why not let this league run it and just use the gridiron line dimensions? It would make it much easier to get this game in high schools and colleges. They are not going to widen their fields to accomodate league. Oh, maybe you can have some cow pasture nearby for a club-level team, but nobody will support it.(+3)

Folks, diehards will tolerate just about anything. People who never heard of this sport will not. And just how many diehards are there in America? Yes, starting a pro league is extremely hard, but don't use "the economy" as an excuse. Niu is shorthanded. Ray Charles can see this and he's blind AND dead. Niu needs more sports management professionals involved to develop and implement a real plan. Loving a sport and running a semipro comp isn't enough. (+1)

Sometimes the critics ARE right. When that happens, FIX the problem, don't just ignore it.

I counted 8 blasphemous things I said so far...

roopy

Referee
If the only thing Niu ever did was plant the seed of RL in the US i'd say he has done enough - and he has done that.
If he walked away from the game today it would still grow by 10 to 20% next year, and every year after that.

He is reaching for the stars and may fall short, but he's already been to the moon and back.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
I think there was a rush on getting things done because the networks at the time were wanting that timeline. What are they going to do- say "nah come back in twenty years when the grounds are better lit and the grounds are better marked.".

You say he needs some sport management ( i would say Pat Croce is better than most) people around helping him. One - who is going give up their job to do that for nothing. Tell me - will you put your hand up, quit your job and do it for nothing.

Some people dont understand, it wasnt that long ago the competion over here was a few people playing in borrowed jerseys. NO ONE had heard of Rugby League.

SignGuyDino

Juniors
You need an army of people to handle each city. Ticket sales, tryouts, media, public relations, etc. You have to develop crowd management plans, emergency management plans, etc. You can't claim to have a league, have no announcements in SEPTEMBER (and none for MONTHS), and think you can just snap your fingers and viola! you have a professional league. These things take planning and this league was nowhere close to this level.

You only need ONE person who is willing to update the site and admit no season in 2010. That's been the critics' biggest complaint, not being upfront with us.

There are problems in AMNRL and that's semipro. If they try the management they do for AMNRL with NRLUS it'll be a farce. As to sports management folks, you can get interns from several sports management programs at universities. It's basically slave labor. I should know because that's my major. You mention Pat Croce. He has a little niche novelty basketball league that is basically a house league with all teams in one venue. Whole different ballgame from a serious rugby league with training facilities, sleeping arrangements, etc.

I will give them credit WHEN DUE: Spike's website DOES have NRL pics in the background on the homepage, a set of commercials and videos, even a designated page for NRL on Spike ( nrl.spike.com ) That's a very good sign for hopefully picking them up next season.

And the commercials are VERY well done. Just wish they had a little more time to get them out. Also, the AMNRL logo and link is there, wish they had one for NRLUS.

Commercials were in HD. HOPEFULLY even if tape-delay we'll see NRL in HD.

deluded pom?

Coach
There are problems in AMNRL and that's semipro.

Why are some people under the impression that the AMNRL is semi pro? There are a few rumours about some teams paying some of their players but the vast majority of teams are true blue amateurs who pay for the privilege of playing rugby league. The AMNRL doesn't have any money, simple as. If they did then we'd be seeing them use it either for the running of the league itself through funding for teams to get to Jax etc. or via more games for the Tomahawks. If they were a semi pro league then we'd be seeing more teams with a better calibre of imports. No disrespect to the imports who do play in the AMNRL. We wouldn't see as many forfeits as we currently see either.

winnyason

Juniors
You need an army of people to handle each city. Ticket sales, tryouts, media, public relations, etc. You have to develop crowd management plans, emergency management plans, etc. You can't claim to have a league, have no announcements in SEPTEMBER (and none for MONTHS), and think you can just snap your fingers and viola! you have a professional league. These things take planning and this league was nowhere close to this level.

You only need ONE person who is willing to update the site and admit no season in 2010. That's been the critics' biggest complaint, not being upfront with us.

There are problems in AMNRL and that's semipro. If they try the management they do for AMNRL with NRLUS it'll be a farce. As to sports management folks, you can get interns from several sports management programs at universities. It's basically slave labor. I should know because that's my major. You mention Pat Croce. He has a little niche novelty basketball league that is basically a house league with all teams in one venue. Whole different ballgame from a serious rugby league with training facilities, sleeping arrangements, etc.

I will give them credit WHEN DUE: Spike's website DOES have NRL pics in the background on the homepage, a set of commercials and videos, even a designated page for NRL on Spike ( nrl.spike.com ) That's a very good sign for hopefully picking them up next season.

And the commercials are VERY well done. Just wish they had a little more time to get them out. Also, the AMNRL logo and link is there, wish they had one for NRLUS.

Commercials were in HD. HOPEFULLY even if tape-delay we'll see NRL in HD.

Glad i have some support it seems mr knight or (Robert Balachandran)does not accept apologies it seems.

I am sure there have been no announcements for a reason. Even just getting the Spike deal is something that is so huge and took so much time that most people won't understand or be able to comprehend. Even a channel like Spike would make channels in Australia look like minnows.I am sure the odd derogatory post on a forum isn't going to make them make an announcement if they don't think it is the right thing to do at the time

Arogant at it's highest level, mate have you seen the nrl it is the best rugby comp in the world period, bigger than super 14 or top 14 in france.
Spike is like fuel tv a adrenalin junkie channel had raw wrestling on it hardly mainstream, if it was on fox, nbc or espn different story.

I will criticise david because it was dumb to hold the gf in new york imagine potential investors of the nrl us seeing 200 pack into the castle when jackonville could get 5 thousand will the right promotions.
It was the lowest attendence ever for the amnrl gf history.

It won't happen i don't need a annoucement any more, celtic crusaders are more important to league long term or getting toulouse into sl than a pie in the sky league.
Fact: If the nrl continues to raid south african rugby talent and helps the rhinos and jamacia get sl pros from england than usa will not get anywhere near winning the atlantic in the next world cup.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
I am not Rob Balachandran - last I looked I wasn't black.

But I do know you are an imbecile.

Spike reaches 100 million people - not arrogance - fact

Why are you getting so worked up about this little winny. If you live here and care get off your ass and help at the grass roots. David Niu and the rest have not let anyone down - they have over achieved.