What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Recruitment Update

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints should wait til the end of the season like they did last year as then some real bargains come up like Vaughny did last year. He was not really spoken of at all last year during the season then come the end of the season Saints snapped up one of the best buys of the year.

Would be spewing in they buy some guy that is available now only for a gun to come up at the end of the year and they miss out because they spent the $$. There is no stand out currently available at the moment.

Panthers/Dogs/Chooks/Broncos will probably shed a few to make room in the cap so some good will come out of that.

possm

Coach
Saints should wait til the end of the season like they did last year as then some real bargains come up like Vaughny did last year. He was not really spoken of at all last year during the season then come the end of the season Saints snapped up one of the best buys of the year.

Would be spewing in they buy some guy that is available now only for a gun to come up at the end of the year and they miss out because they spent the $$. There is no stand out currently available at the moment.

Panthers/Dogs/Chooks/Broncos will probably shed a few to make room in the cap so some good will come out of that.
Picked up Vaughan and lost Packer. We could feel good if he picked Vaughan and lost Mathews.

BennyV

Referee
Lol at this point, we are going into 2018 with only Vaughan and Packer as first grade ready props.

I shudder.

Gareth67

First Grade
Does our ever ' on the ball ' recruitment personnel , have anyone , I mean a ' tough as teak ' forward in their sights as yet ? Someone to fill the vacancy created by Packers exit.

I would ever so much like to look at this thread and see that Millward is actually in some stage of negotiation with a decent player . Latu was yet another false hope , that we were sucked into . The man said in today's Tele. that he was never going to leave Penrith and had no idea how the rumour was started .

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Hind should get an opportunity. He is as tough as teak and never lets the side down. I have doubts at this stage over Sele with his handling and Lawrie with his durability. Host seems a fairly complete player. Kerr should also get a run along with Dufty. We want forwards and backs who can win games. Wakeman won so many games for the Cutters last year and was one of their best players along with Coster, Dodd, Havili, Hutchison, Lewis, Mann, Nona and Sironen. None of these players were rewarded properly for winning the NSW Cup last year in a wonderful performance.

Vaughn has turned out to be a great pick up but he is no bargain.

Does our ever ' on the ball ' recruitment personnel , have anyone , I mean a ' tough as teak ' forward in their sights as yet ? Someone to fill the vacancy created by Packers exit.

I would ever so much like to look at this thread and see that Millward is actually in some stage of negotiation with a decent player . Latu was yet another false hope , that we were sucked into . The man said in today's Tele. that he was never going to leave Penrith and had no idea how the rumour was started .
Apart from money, we are not an attractive destination for players who are looking to advance their careers.
While Millward is our front man and McGregor is our coach, don't expect us to prevail when we are in competition with other clubs for player signatures.

Apart from money, we are not an attractive destination for players who are looking to advance their careers.
While Millward is our front man and McGregor is our coach, don't expect us to prevail when we are in competition with other clubs for player signatures.
Millward was the one who brought Vaughan and McInnes to the club and has also got Hunt coming so he is actually doing his job.

He is also getting rid of the dead wood that Mulholland signed.

Most the players mention in rumours or wanted by fans are usually unrealistic.

possm

Coach
Millward was the one who brought Vaughan and McInnes to the club and has also got Hunt coming so he is actually doing his job.

List our squad against the likes of the Storm, Broncos, Roosters and Sharks and say again that Millward and our club are doing well.

We all get the same grant from the NRL to fund the salary cap however, the dragons have a reputation of paying overs and being a financial basket place who owes the NRL 6m.

It's a mess, it has been a mess for a very long time. It's a mess because the old boys only care about their own renumeration and perks..

I suppose that is one way to rationalize Millward's contirbution.
My take is a little different.
Mulholland actually inherited a basket case of a roster and salary cap at St. George.
He methodically cleaned up and re-organized it financially so at least we could function.
He was the one actually that got rid of a lot of "dead wood" before resigning and going to Canberra under strange circumstances.
On Millward's watch we have lost a number of key players including recently Packer (we are currently looking around for a replacement) and Dugan.
He did sign Hunt, which we are all looking forward to but to do so he opened the purse strings and broke the club player contract record.
Whether Hunt is worth $1m per season, remains to be seen.
Vaughn is on top dollar for a prop at nearly 600K per season. No bargain there.
McInnes has certainly been an improvement on Rein and I am happy to have him on board.
He has made a significant difference. I don't know what his contract is worth but he is signed until the end of 2018.
In terms of Junior pathways, I cannot find anything positive to say about Millward.
His premature announcement regarding Jai Field as the Dragons FB for 2018 was damaging and created numerous problems internally.
Millward does not engender confidence and as a team with McGregor, they do not gel.
I think he has far too much to say about who we recruit because McGregor is also not competent/experiencd in that department.
Bellamy and Bennett attract players to their rosters for reasons other than money.
Their recruitment staff are invisible because the coach is the boss.
Not so at our club.
We are not in the same league in that regard and we seem determined to continue down the path of mediocrity.
Millward is part of that equation.

ALSGI

Bench
I suppose that is one way to rationalize Millward's contirbution.
My take is a little different.
Mulholland actually inherited a basket case of a roster and salary cap at St. George.
He methodically cleaned up and re-organized it financially so at least we could function.
He was the one actually that got rid of a lot of "dead wood" before resigning and going to Canberra under strange circumstances.
On Millward's watch we have lost a number of key players including recently Packer (we are currently looking around for a replacement) and Dugan.
He did sign Hunt, which we are all looking forward to but to do so he opened the purse strings and broke the club player contract record.
Whether Hunt is worth $1m per season, remains to be seen.
Vaughn is on top dollar for a prop at nearly 600K per season. No bargain there.
McInnes has certainly been an improvement on Rein and I am happy to have him on board.
He has made a significant difference. I don't know what his contract is worth but he is signed until the end of 2018.
In terms of Junior pathways, I cannot find anything positive to say about Millward.
His premature announcement regarding Jai Field as the Dragons FB for 2018 was damaging and created numerous problems internally.
Millward does not engender confidence and as a team with McGregor, they do not gel.
I think he has far too much to say about who we recruit because McGregor is also not competent/experiencd in that department.
Bellamy and Bennett attract players to their rosters for reasons other than money.
Their recruitment staff are invisible because the coach is the boss.
Not so at our club.
We are not in the same league in that regard and we seem determined to continue down the path of mediocrity.
Millward is part of that equation.
Yep some good points but, I wish people would stop saying $1m per season for Hunt. Millward has already stated it was no where near that amount, so FFS unless people know otherwise stop saying it. It throws the rest of your thoughts right off when saying $1m per season.
At a pure guess I reckon he'd be on the similar coin as Widdop just signed for but that's just a guess.
Hunt has a multi million dollar contract for sure but it's not $1m per season.

1st & 10

Juniors
What recruitment ?

We lost Josh with Gasnier using josh as leverage so he could get a ring (long story but Gasnier is the reason we lost Josh). Imagine, we keep josh, we still have a strike centre and Brett would have stayed for less coin (fact)

Jack Bird, wanted to stay, but saints refused to help with his ongoing medication costs (about 15 grand per year)

Imap
Yep some good points but, I wish people would stop saying $1m per season for Hunt. Millward has already stated it was no where near that amount, so FFS unless people know otherwise stop saying it. It throws the rest of your thoughts right off when saying $1m per season.
At a pure guess I reckon he'd be on the similar coin as Widdop just signed for but that's just a guess.
Hunt has a multi million dollar contract for sure but it's not $1m per season.[/QUOTE
I apologize, you're right.
The actual figure is hard to ascertain but he is now our highest paid player.
Got carried away with what the media were quoting.

possm

Coach
What recruitment ?

We lost Josh with Gasnier using josh as leverage so he could get a ring (long story but Gasnier is the reason we lost Josh). Imagine, we keep josh, we still have a strike centre and Brett would have stayed for less coin (fact)

Jack Bird, wanted to stay, but saints refused to help with his ongoing medication costs (about 15 grand per year)
Bird left the Dragons because he could not get an undertaking that he would play first grade. We needed a professional people manager to help with this contract because it is not usual for a club to guarantee a spot in first grade - especially for a rookie.

As I understand it, the Dragons eventually did come to the party with medical expenses.

blacksafake

First Grade
With the signing of Hunt, Widdop & Vaughans extension I wonder how much of the salary cap is really left for the signing of a quality prop. Probably not much hence Millwards comment about finding a prop from within let alone a fullback.