What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty to Fullback/Dugan to Centre

I was perhaps the only fan that didn't crucify Mann. It shook his confidence to the core. The lynch mob were brutal, and personally I hate that mentality.
In my opinion Mary has been very stubborn and persistent about certain team selections.
In Mann's case, he trained at FB all pre season and was given only 2 games before being banished to oblivion.
If he had shown a little patience, Mann may have turned things around but was not given the opportunity.
Yet he has had no problem persevering with other selections that were just as ineffective.
I hear what you say about the "lynch mob" but where was the encouragement and support from the coach?
Its as if Mann had contracted some contagious disease all of a sudden.
McGregor did the same thing to Field.
Look at how the top coaches bring new recruits into first grade and compare that with our bloke.
Mann's confidence was destroyed after 2 games and took a long time to recover.
I reckon that we have the makings of a great squad with an excellent mix of experienced players and talented rookies but it's not enough to sign them.
You have to coach and encourage and blend the established with the new.
That is what great coaches do and that's why they are consistently successful.
Mann is yet another example of Mary's short comings as a coach.

giboz71

First Grade
My biggest concern with Dufty having a good game on the weekend is , he will make mistakes along the way , and it will be hard for him to back up the same performance (But then again he might ) but if he has a few teething problems lets not crucify him . We have seen what he is capable of so lets give him time . Hope Mary does the same ..... IMO I think he is more than capable he has something special about him and that is he plays on instinct which is natural to him , its something that cant be coached . In saying that lets hope Mary does not coach that out of him .......

Dufty may not be our long term solution at FB. I wasn't actually sold on him to be honest and I'm still not even after that debut. Will need to have a few more consistent performances to make me a believer.

What got me excited was that the Manly game showed us the blueprint of how to play exciting exhilarating footy, and the skill set required to deliver it. Speed, ball skills, vision, footwork. We've persisted with a 100kg robotic fullback for 4 years, who doesn't pass, doesn't step, doesn't ask questions of the defence. Dufty showed us what we've been missing for what seems like forever. We scored 50 for the first time in 10 years, against a top 4 team no less.. You can't get more compelling than that.

Even if its not Dufty long term, hopefully that performance showed the coaches what skill set to look for. And hopefully, we're done with the slow, robotic cyborgs that have stifled our backline for years.

JDHD

Juniors
It's funny how we are now calling for Duges to centre to accommodate Dufty when we wanted him kept @ FB & resigned in that position! Whether it now happens(Dugan to centre)shows how good Dufty looked/played/is going to be that it should be a serious selection headache for Mary(my choice is Dufty to remain there).

For the record, I've said from the start that Dugan wanted too much money and shouldn't be played at fullback due to his Gandalf 'you shal not pass' ways haha

watatank

Coach
Happy to be proved wrong but you are basing this on one game when he had his back completely covered. No doubt he his quick and had a good debut. Pity Mann had a couple of shockers on debut. I'll bite lengths off my tongue when he covers the FB position, catches the high bombs and shows he has a defensive side.

I said he can be good, I didn't say we had the next Slater. It's not much of a leap to think Dufty is more talented than Quinlan at the same age, whether you agree or not. Dufty played 3 seasons in U20s and represented NSW during that time, and Quinlan played about half a season in U20s. Dufty earned his shot and played well, if he wants to continue there he has to develop and earn his place. If he doesn't, we'll go with someone else.

Life's Good

Coach
For the record, I've said from the start that Dugan wanted too much money and shouldn't be played at fullback due to his Gandalf 'you shal not pass' ways haha
At the right money it was a no brainer to keep Dugan because he is a good player who has served us very well and with Hunt coming would probably have thrived off a good 7 and lifted his attacking game. He just doesn't have the same level in him as other FB's in that he lacks a passing and kicking game. Running metres and defense aren't in question but for the money he wanted it just didn't add up.

Drag Queen

Bench
I think the criticism of Mann came down to the idea that we had a fullback, a good one, in Dugan, so why move him to centre when most people's opinion was he doesn't have the skill set, the passing game, to be a centre.

With Dugan going, and Dufty being so young, I think he will be given more latitude to make mistakes than Mann got.
They moved Duges to centre so he could contend for a SOO spot in that position. Mann was only 22 when he debuted for us so he was also young. The way he was treated was appalling BGB.

They moved Duges to centre so he could contend for a SOO spot in that position. Mann was only 22 when he debuted for us so he was also young. The way he was treated was appalling BGB.

Dugan played SOO at centre despite playing fullback for us all year, so, not for the first time the Dragons managements logic was a bit flawed there.

I agree that Mann should have been given an extended run at fullback, as Denis said before, certain other players can play like rubbish week in and week out and still get selected.
It still defeats me why Mann resigned with us.

cussy

Juniors
So will all the little whiners now give McGregor some kudos for picking Dufty at fullback and Dugan at centre or will they now find something else to bitch about?

Life's Good

Coach
So will all the little whiners now give McGregor some kudos for picking Dufty at fullback and Dugan at centre or will they now find something else to bitch about?
He gets credit for not being a stubborn pr*ck and actually opening his eyes to the potential that Dufty offers unlike his 'Bird is not ready for first grade' thinking.
It's only taken until Round 21 because if it wasn't for injuries last week Dufty wouldnt have been given a run.
3 years and maybe Mary is learning something.

Is that enough whining for you??

Drag Queen

Bench
Dufty may not be our long term solution at FB. I wasn't actually sold on him to be honest and I'm still not even after that debut. Will need to have a few more consistent performances to make me a believer.

What got me excited was that the Manly game showed us the blueprint of how to play exciting exhilarating footy, and the skill set required to deliver it. Speed, ball skills, vision, footwork. We've persisted with a 100kg robotic fullback for 4 years, who doesn't pass, doesn't step, doesn't ask questions of the defence. Dufty showed us what we've been missing for what seems like forever. We scored 50 for the first time in 10 years, against a top 4 team no less.. You can't get more compelling than that.

Even if its not Dufty long term, hopefully that performance showed the coaches what skill set to look for. And hopefully, we're done with the slow, robotic cyborgs that have stifled our backline for years.
Well said. It's interesting what you say about the FB role too. Gutherson has done his ACL (as we all know) and French has been nominated to take over that role. I often hop on the One Eyed Eels site because I like their banter. Interestingly there are a quite a few that don't want French in that role. They prefer him on the wing. Similar player to Dufty but obviously didn't go the same pathway.

Drag Queen

Bench
I said he can be good, I didn't say we had the next Slater. It's not much of a leap to think Dufty is more talented than Quinlan at the same age, whether you agree or not. Dufty played 3 seasons in U20s and represented NSW during that time, and Quinlan played about half a season in U20s. Dufty earned his shot and played well, if he wants to continue there he has to develop and earn his place. If he doesn't, we'll go with someone else.
I appreciate your opinion watatank. Quinny didn't go through the same pathways as Dufty did. He was coached by his old man in Culburra who also coached Dylan Farrell and Jack Buchanan. Anyway, I'm not going to bite too much.

Bench
I wonder if Mary has Dugan in the centre to cover Aitkin.
If Autkin was playing would he have put Dugan at full back with Dufty on the bench

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Regardless well done mary.interesting to see when aitkin is fit what will happen.but there's hope for our coach in my eyes.go the big RED v.I'm sure browny doesn't like Marys selections this week.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Regardless well done mary.interesting to see when aitkin is fit what will happen.but there's hope for our coach in my eyes.go the big RED v.I'm sure browny doesn't like Marys selections this week.

It will most probably be 2 or 3 weeks before atkin is ready.
There not sure how much damage yet.

JDHD

Juniors
I'll give him credit. All signs point to it being the right move.

Dragsters

First Grade
Solid team selected.

Dufty's wonderful debut and Aitken's injury made it rather easy to select but nonetheless, Mary did the right thing.

I look forward to another try-fest this weekend...

Drag Queen

Bench
I don't recall Adam Quinlan ever having any game like Dufty did on the weekend, let alone a debit game. And Quinlan never had the wraps Dufty did as a junior.

You're right it's only 1 game and it's way too early to declare Dufty our long term fullback. But you can't blame the excitement some of us have given we haven't seen this skill set from FB in a very long time.

And we scored 50 for the first time in 10 years, Bennett didn't even manage it while he was with us.
You may have a short memory. I think Quinny had 3 try assists and a try on debut. Never mind.