What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty to Fullback/Dugan to Centre

Crossbow

Juniors
Oh yeah.Mary has grown a set.Set and forget for the rest of the year and roll on the dufty train.Now that Mary's grown some lets keep that ball rolling.

So will all the little whiners now give McGregor some kudos for picking Dufty at fullback and Dugan at centre or will they now find something else to bitch about?

I applaud Mary for stepping out of his conservative comfort zone and selecting Dufty at full back after a stellar debut instead of reverting back to a full back who won't be with us in any capacity next year.

Gee that was a tough decision.

Drag Queen

Bench
Dugan played SOO at centre despite playing fullback for us all year, so, not for the first time the Dragons managements logic was a bit flawed there.

I agree that Mann should have been given an extended run at fullback, as Denis said before, certain other players can play like rubbish week in and week out and still get selected.
It still defeats me why Mann resigned with us.
I don't get it either. Dugan stuffs up all the time (when he has broken an effing finger nail etc and is contrite) I wish Mann all the best. This club needs to do right by him.

giboz71

First Grade
You may have a short memory. I think Quinny had 3 try assists and a try on debut. Never mind.

Impossible. If he did that in his debut game, this place would have melted down and I don't remember that happening with Quinlan.

His debut game was against the Gold Coast, Round 9, 2013 at Cbus - a 15-14 loss. So impossible we even scored 4 tries. His first try came in his third game against Souths that same year when we beat them 22-18.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Seem to remember in a semi I think it was Quinlan had a hatrick dragons46 can't remember the team we played but quinny was on fire that day .so I know where your coming from drag

Frank Facer

First Grade
It was mary who first moved Dugan to centre, to accommodate Quinlan. Dugan trained at centre in the prehen gave Mann 2 games at fullback, with Dugan playing centre.
Impossible. If he did that in his debut game, this place would have melted down and I don't remember that happening with Quinlan.

His debut game was against the Gold Coast, Round 9, 2013 at Cbus - a 15-14 loss. So impossible we even scored 4 tries. His first try came in his third game against Souths that same year when we beat them 22-18.
If my memory serves me correct. Quinlan too a hard knock to the head early in his first first grade game, and was bit quite after that.

Drag Queen

Bench

My bad.

Drag Queen

Bench
Seem to remember in a semi I think it was Quinlan had a hatrick dragons46 can't remember the team we played but quinny was on fire that day .so I know where your coming from drag
...so it's personal and your opinion is not based on his ability then?
I'll reserve judging his ability until I see more of his games in FG. From a personal point of view I do not condone a young rookie giving it to the ref, especially in the lower grades.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor eyes Matt Dufty as Josh Dugan replacement
Andrew Parkinson
26 Jul 2017, 9 a.m.
r0_389_3500_2357_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

No stopping him: Penshurst RSL junior Matt Dufty scored a try on his NRL debut as St George Illawarra thrashed Manly on Sunday. Picture: Craig Golding/AAP

It was a glimpse into the future that would have had St George Illawarra fans breathing a sigh of relief.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has had a large problem for next season, trying to fill the Josh Dugan-sized hole at fullback after the representative No.1 decided to leave the club to join fierce local rivals Cronulla.

If Sunday’s evidence is anything to go by, the answer might be found in-house.

Penshurst RSL junior Matt Dufty produced an outstanding NRL debut for the Dragons, scoring a try and setting up two others as St George Illawarra thrashed the high-flying Sea Eagles 52-22.

McGregor said Dugan would return from his hamstring strain against the struggling Knights in Newcastle on Saturday. But with Euan Aitken in doubt after hurting his shoulder scoring his second try against Manly, it’s possible 21-year-old Dufty’s performance was good enough to keep him in the side for good.

“I think it’s a good opportunity. We haven’t replaced Duges [for next season],” McGregor said.

“It’s a good opportunity to give the kids an opportunity when we’ve got most of our players available. With Josh going out there was a position there.

“Duff’s worked really hard at his game in reserve grade and at training to deserve a start. We’ll just play it at the moment week to week. [Against Manly] was a good sign for him and a good sign for us.”

Dufty was a Holden Cup star with the Dragons, scoring 54 tries in 65 games in the under-20s with many coming through his electric speed and elusiveness. He is the third former Dragons under-20s player to graduate to first grade this season.

“That’s a nice pathway for the young blokes,” McGregor said.

“We had a lot of experience [against Manly] so it was a good time for him to make his debut at home on a nice afternoon with a home crowd.

“He showed what he’s got. He’s got ability to burn people with his speed. He’s got a really nice catch and pass. His strength there is a little bit [deceptive] because he’s so quick he can get away from people so he can use his natural strength. I thought that it was a real solid debut, to be honest.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...young-gun-dufty-as-dugan-replacement/?cs=3833