What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty v Sloan

Wizardman

First Grade
Be honest guys. Don't let the blood from today influence your decision. Who is the better player?

Dufty or Sloan?

TheRev

First Grade
I think Dufty could have been better with the right coach or more specifically a coach that he listened too.. I dont think he was all that bright, and it was like he went out of his way to ignore every piece of advice from dragons and dogs coaches... he also had a habit of bursting into gaps at full pace cause he was so avoidant of having a hand laid on him.. that he would knock on so many balls.. so perhaps mentally he never could be an NRL player...

Sloane is a work in progress (and no sure thing), I'm not a fan personally but I appreciate we have 0 other options and we have 0 other players with any speed who can score points... if it wasn't for watching all the other great fullbacks and reserve fullbacks in the NRL and NSW Cup... I would have a lot more patience... its mostly defensive issues, but quite a few attacking opportunities don't seem to come off either.. some are quite difficult chances but still.. he also has always had an instinct to grubber the ball, which honestly I reckon it comes off 1 in 4.. its sort of a reflex.. but if it was more accurate it could/should be a decent weapon.

Ultimately I dont think I can answer your question!

Gardenia

Juniors
They are very different styles of players. I am a massive Dufty fan - his speed was electric and he was developing a great passing game in his last year with us. Sloan is a different body type and he appears to listen and try to put into practice what the coach has told him. Sloan also has a natural footy instinct I believe. I think they are both good in different ways.

I think I'll have to go Dufty - sorry Sloany. I just remember some of his tries and his footwork - he was pretty to watch in full flight. I would have loved to see him under a great coach to tidy up the defense.

thebigredv

First Grade
They are very different styles of players. I am a massive Dufty fan - his speed was electric and he was developing a great passing game in his last year with us. Sloan is a different body type and he appears to listen and try to put into practice what the coach has told him. Sloan also has a natural footy instinct I believe. I think they are both good in different ways.

I think I'll have to go Dufty - sorry Sloany. I just remember some of his tries and his footwork - he was pretty to watch in full flight. I would have loved to see him under a great coach to tidy up the defense.
Sloan in a really good team would be so very dangerous. Elite.

We left Dufty too exposed and it's happening with Sloan as well. He still has time to get better in his defensive game and time will tell but, just like Dufty, we seem to depend too much on him to spark attack and opposition will/have worked it out. I feel Flanagan is quite aware of Sloan's + and - and did something about it today by putting Lomax back to do all the physical stuff.

Defensive lapses aside, I don't get why our attacking shapes were so messed up today after last week we had seemed to have worked it out. When it is like that Sloan is forced to do too much and can't be used with more selection which I think is when he will be at his best for us. I actually thought he had a pretty good game all in all which can't be said for many of them.

Dufty was given a decent shot. Sloan seems to be improving still so I think he is the better player.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Both could be anything if they weren’t scared of catching bombs under pressure, positioned themselves better in defence and put their bodies on the line when making tackles.

I was a big Dufty fan. He was a terrific playmaker who could set up lots of tries. I thought he was used wrong near the end and was always the scapegoat. Sloan was only a winger in the under 20s, he could end up a decent fullback but I don't think so. I think Lomax should be the fullback, you need a player that can set things up.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dufty has been electric if you watch him under Sam Burgess in the ESL. He is finally playing the way we wanted him to and that is putting his body on the line in defence and attack. He just did not seem like he wanted to do so under previous coaches so not sure what Sam has done but it works. If Sam gets his team a trophy he will be chased hard by clubs to return to the NRL.

I loved Dufty when he came into grade but the more I watched him in defence the more angry I got. I feel Sloan although still not 100% is trying to improve in defence where as Dufty never looked like he wanted to improve in defence so I am sticking with Sloan. Duffty looks better in attack but Sloan not that far behind where as in defence Dufty is miles behind Sloan and that is saying something. I believe Sloan will come good because his attitude is top notch.

If you ranked all of the fullbacks in the competition Sloan would probably be ranked at the bottom, definitely bottom 2 or 3. All of the very good fullbacks can make a break themselves and set up players to make breaks or score. Sloan needs someone to set him up to make a break. Sure he would be better in a good team, but no good team is going to sign him to play fullback. Maybe chuck him on the wing.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
If you ranked all of the fullbacks in the competition Sloan would probably be ranked at the bottom, definitely bottom 2 or 3. All of the very good fullbacks can make a break themselves and set up players to make breaks or score. Sloan needs someone to set him up to make a break. Sure he would be better in a good team, but no good team is going to sign him to play fullback. Maybe chuck him on the wing.
He is no use on the wing, look at the work Lomax and Rava do, he is incapable of doing the hard yards

kit66

Bench

Sloan was second highest for linebreaks for fullbacks last year, only behind Walsh and he's already 2nd for that stat this year.