What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan's worth

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Gagai and Chambers are worth 700-750k then Dugan probably worth less if not same and not a cent more. Gagai and Chambers are gun centres and happy to stay for 750k max why does Duges think he is worth more than those 2 origin winning centres. They lost last night but not their fault. Dugan is injury prone and a great fullback but I feel has 1 year left there before he stays in the centres. Lost his speed and not a good passing game.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
As said, hard to judge off one game. Looked to be trying a little too hard to make things happen. Was made to look average a couple of times by chambers, but I still think he will be there game 2. Bird has better utility value off the bench.
Personally I think we've seen the best of Dugan. Very good player but can't see him improving much next year.
I think millward has cut him loose at just the right time. Just my opinion

j0nesy

Bench
Had a below average game, but I don't think you can rate him on one game.

I rate Dugan highly, but I still think we made him a good offer. By most accounts he left because The Sharks offered him an extra year and they stroked his ego.

Frank Facer

First Grade
On the decline is Duges, last year of reps
I think you are right. Dugan will be lucky to hold his place in the team for next game. I think Bird should have been picked ahead of Dugan for the first game anyway.

NSW also have Tom Trbjovic to come in. He would have been a certainty if fit. I would play Trbjovic at centre in origin, with Teddy our long term fullback.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Bird will be SOO II starting centre IMO..I think Dugan will lose his spot
He wont lose his spot......at first I thought like others he was not that good last nite, but after watching the replays he did more than I gave him credit for.....he wasnt a standout admittedly but he did his job.....and according to Daley tonite he only replaced him because he hadnt played for 3 weeks and was showing signs of tiredness

Minh

First Grade
Coming back from injury he was never going to be outstanding but he did have some rare talent around him that stole the show in the likes of Tedesco and Jarryd Hayne who were born for that kind of big game stage......

Come the 4th year of his contract, I can see Duges being "retired through injury" or maybe a Sharks administrator stealing his ladder and chucking up some cruisers.
If they get desperate they'll get Carney back as a behaviour consultant to work with Duges 1 on 1.

I think Daley, Price and Mcgregor all went to the same school together. They sat up the back of the class and f*ck3d around all day. That's why they are all dumb as dogsh!t. Doust was the teacher and Flanno was the principal. Fifita was the sportsmaster. George Rose was in charge of the tuckshop.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Does anyone know what Josh has for breakfast?

Does he eat the same thing everyday or does he mix it up and have variety?

And does he eat the same things when he's preparing for a game at fullback as he would when preparing for a game at centre?

Couldn't you have started a new thread with this question instead of derailing this one? We're trying to discuss Dugan's worth for the 896,476th time.

FlameThrower

Bench
Seriously guys, if he had resigned with us, I'm sure we would all be cheering his defence and try saver tackle. Made up (a justification) that 1st game back and straight into biggest stage was not match fit and would have been cautious with his jaw injury...
Instead we are slamming the guy and predicting the guy is a dud signing for the Sharks...
All of a sudden Millward is a genius and can see the future Round 7 in 2019...Dugan out for 4 weeks with a hamstring injury....

giboz71

First Grade
Had a below average game, but I don't think you can rate him on one game.

I rate Dugan highly, but I still think we made him a good offer. By most accounts he left because The Sharks offered him an extra year and they stroked his ego.

It's certainly been more than one game where we can assess Dugan's worth. I've been watching him for 4 years and have said all along he's overpaid.

2 plays from Origin, the ridiculous flick pass to Fergo. Ask Nighty how many poor passes he's been on the receiving end from Duges? On many occasions even this year Nighty's just looked at him shaking his head. And the play he got bundled into touch as he doesn't know how to run correct lines, seen that plenty of times in a Dragons jersey as well.

I've known all along he's no longer an elite fullback (Tedesco is a pretty good example as we saw). And as a centre, starting to think 750k is probably overs now too. Roberts, Leilua, even Lafai offer more these days and they aren't close to what Duges will make at the Sharks.

MilanDragon

Juniors
To put it simply Dugans worth is around 700-750k a season in the current market as that's what the sharks offered him. About the same as what the dragons offered but over a different time frame.

If 4 clubs had offered him 500k and one offered him 700k then I'd say he is worth closer to 500k but the 5th club was either desperate or paid 'overs'.

For example if a house is listed for 1million and people offer that price that's what it's worth, the valuation company will say it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. However if that same house was listed for a million but got sold for 900k the buyer may feel they got a 'bargain' and bought a house worth more but the valuation company will still say the value is 900k as that's what was offered for it.

#economics101

OzDragon

Coach
Does anyone know what Josh has for breakfast?

Does he eat the same thing everyday or does he mix it up and have variety?

And does he eat the same things when he's preparing for a game at fullback as he would when preparing for a game at centre?
I'm actually curious what players have for breakfast lunch and dinner.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Seriously guys, if he had resigned with us, I'm sure we would all be cheering his defence and try saver tackle. Made up (a justification) that 1st game back and straight into biggest stage was not match fit and would have been cautious with his jaw injury...
Instead we are slamming the guy and predicting the guy is a dud signing for the Sharks...
All of a sudden Millward is a genius and can see the future Round 7 in 2019...Dugan out for 4 weeks with a hamstring injury....
Well i was hoping we did not resign him.
I was fed up with him dying with the ball, going into touch, not creating try assists, not passing to his wings and support, and his almost zero football nouse and vision.

Can tackle....can diffuse a bomb....but nothing much more.

hazzbeen

Bench
It's certainly been more than one game where we can assess Dugan's worth. I've been watching him for 4 years and have said all along he's overpaid.

2 plays from Origin, the ridiculous flick pass to Fergo. Ask Nighty how many poor passes he's been on the receiving end from Duges? On many occasions even this year Nighty's just looked at him shaking his head. And the play he got bundled into touch as he doesn't know how to run correct lines, seen that plenty of times in a Dragons jersey as well.

I've known all along he's no longer an elite fullback (Tedesco is a pretty good example as we saw). And as a centre, starting to think 750k is probably overs now too. Roberts, Leilua, even Lafai offer more these days and they aren't close to what Duges will make at the Sharks.
You have nailed it I have said much the same elsewhere , his rep days are nearly over and Im not getting on the bash up Dugan bandwagon , I have always said he is a goer gives plenty but not what they call a game breaker there are far better players out there on the money Duges was asking . Good luck to him and the Sharks hope he gets his 4 years of injury free playing .....

Old Timer

Coach
We've got a season to finish and possibly a comp to win so let's all move on.
There is nothing more that can be said, as he is on his way at the end of the season, nothing alters that and people posting now are only trying to justify their own interpretation of his worth as a player or how the negotiations supposedly unfolded.
We need to make sure Duges still feels welcome at the club and we should all cheer his efforts which hopefully are unaffected, as no doubt he will be instrumental in what happens between now and the end of the season.
I hope he stays healthy and finishes on a high.