What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eastwood signs with Canterbury Bankstown for 3 years :D

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No, what he's saying is that they still need to work out the transfer fee. If they can't get around that, we may still end up losing him.

MatthewA

Juniors
There's no way we're missing out on him.. Relax. He'll be here.

The transfer fee is simply something that doesn't count towards the cap and a small issue that Greeny and co are working through.

Also, Greg has already agreed to terms. Notice that Todd said he had not signed but he didn't deny that he hadn't agreed to terms. All there is left to sort out is the transfer fee.

rhino2009

Juniors
The news over here in Leeds is that the deal for Greg Eastwood has still to be agreed. Gary Hetherington, the Rhinos CEO said in the local paper that Leeds were open to either a transfer fee (of £100K) or a player swap or an element of both. It seems though that a decision is imminent with talks going on this week.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'm not meaning to sound arrogant, but I don't think the club would come this far to get no result. I believe that negotiating the transfer fee is a way for us to bargain the price down a little. It's not fair seeing we (the NRL) release players early from their contracts and let them go play out their careers in England and don't charge ESL clubs a transfer fee. It should be a 2 way street.

The news over here in Leeds is that the deal for Greg Eastwood has still to be agreed. Gary Hetherington, the Rhinos CEO said in the local paper that Leeds were open to either a transfer fee (of £100K) or a player swap or an element of both. It seems though that a decision is imminent with talks going on this week.

Hopefully we can send Warbo over as a swap

Timmah

Staff member
Hickey has been released to the best of my knowledge, as has Gordon.

MatthewA

Juniors
Correct, both Hickey and Gordon are gone. Gordon knocked back the Sharks and now Souths may get him back.

rhino2009

Juniors
Obviously the player(s) offered to Leeds Rhinos in exchange for Eastwood have to be acceptable to Gary Hetherington the Leeds CEO. Or indeed would they want to come to the UK (although the Rhinos have been Super League champions for the last 3 years!). I looked at the Bulldogs team for the last few matches and couln't see Dean Halatau and Gary Warburton's names. Were they out injured or currently not in the first 17? I remember Halatau playing for NZ but does he still play for them and what positions do both players cover? Does Halatau also play in the centres?

Timmah

Staff member
Halatau was named on the bench throughout the year and Warburton played lock for the last few rounds, so I don't know what team list you were looking at?

Halatau is a back-row utility but started his career in the centres.

Warburton is a backrower.

This rubbish of a player having to be "acceptable" is dumb. Why should the Bulldogs bear the burden of Leeds' inability to keep Eastwood satisfied with his club?

rhino2009

Juniors
You have a point about Leeds not been able to keep Eastwood. But from what I know they were loyal and supportive to him while he waited 1 year for his visa to come to the UK. After he arrived they tried to make him feel OK but I think he had personal problems including been homesick.
Greg Eastwood signed a 3 year contract for Leeds and is a current NZ international and the Rhinos value him as such. His form has been great recently and we will miss him. Hopefully if Halatau and Warburton are part of any deal they will be good additions to the squad.

MatthewA

Juniors
I think you'll find there won't even be a player swap. It's simply be a transfer fee which doesn't count under the cap anyway.

Oh well, we will just wait and see.

Bulldog Force

Referee
My understanding is that Halatau is one of the players that we're trying to use to lure Eastwood back here (NZ team mates). I don't think he is one of the transfer players in question (if there are any).

rhino2009

Juniors
Over here in the UK, Leeds Rhinos say that they will accept a transfer fee or player swap for Greg Eastwood. The suggestion on this site from Bulldog's fans was that Halatau or Warburton could be used in any player exchange. I think this was on the basis that if Eastwood joins together with Pritchard they would be lower down the order. Eastwood is big mates with Pritchard so there is still the NZ connection. In the UK the expectation is that Eastwod will you either simply by a transfer fee or a swap. If Halatau is ben used as bait to get Greg who else could be available?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Over here in the UK, Leeds Rhinos say that they will accept a transfer fee or player swap for Greg Eastwood. The suggestion on this site from Bulldog's fans was that Halatau or Warburton could be used in any player exchange. I think this was on the basis that if Eastwood joins together with Pritchard they would be lower down the order. Eastwood is big mates with Pritchard so there is still the NZ connection. In the UK the expectation is that Eastwod will you either simply by a transfer fee or a swap. If Halatau is ben used as bait to get Greg who else could be available?
Well Warburton is the player who comes into contention one would think. If Eastwood does return, and with David Stagg returning to the lineup next year after shoulder surgery to play lock, Warburton wouldn't get a role in the top 17, bar injury or suspension.

Bulldog Force

Referee
While we wait... more from Todd's Twitter (last week mind you)...

Source: http://twitter.com/Todd_Greenberg

Received lots of questions re recruitment/retention program for 2011-some great additions already locked in-more good news in next few weeks
9:17 PM Sep 16th via web
That was followed 1 minute later by...

And no need to worry about salary cap compliance - we are comfortably under the cap and all documentation is in order! Good governance!9:18 PM Sep 16th via web

Could this be what we all think it is? :D

Latest posts