What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English lower leagues

roughyedspud

Coach
from what know from the meeting i had with our chairman at oldham,most players at that level are paid a appearance fee plus a win bonus..so £200-£300 + £100-£150 win bonus....something like that?

travel costs...well i ran coaches to various nightclubs in liverpool,manchester & leeds from oldham when i was younger so i know abit about hiring coaches and what not....

so for oldham this year,most of our games are in and around the m62 corridor so the cost of hiring a coach would be about the same as what they pay a player..£200-£300..maybe £500-£600 upto cumbria to play whitehaven & workington..

obviously you'd look starting some sort of sponsorship a coach hire firm to get reduced rates

langpark

First Grade

Eagles are now asking their fans for 20k through a fundraising campaign. And they've raised nearly half that amount in just 2 days!

deal.with.it

Juniors
Anyone else concerned with whitehaven and workington bumped back to League 1? Joining Barrow and Newcastle further north than the m62.
Big ask for those 4 clubs and the 5 in the south. A lot more distance next year, without considering Toronto.

roughyedspud

Coach
toronto travel will be paid for...

gloucester to whitehaven,workington,newcastle is 260-280 miles...if the clubs had any sense they'd stick the kit in a van and everyone else jump on a train..

plus like i said earlier..deals can be done to reduce travel costs

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Come on Toulouse tonight. It's winner takes all versus Rochdale with the loser getting a second chance next week

On a side note I really really don't like the promotion structure. It should be as simple as the league winner after 22 rounds going up with 2nd-5th in a playoff series for the second spot.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Yeah this year it's really showing how f**ked the whole english structure.

The best thing they can do (RFL) is decide what they want it to look like in 10 years and work towards that. This all just seems temporary to please most parties, rather than be strategic.

Something like:
- 14 team SL with clubs from london, toulouse, perpignan, toronto, Newcastle and the heartlands. £3M salary cap. 4 matches broadcast every weekend.
- x number teams in championship. All full time. 2 matches broadcast every weekend.
- x number teams league 1. Semi pro. Entrance level. Match of the round on Premier Sports or livestreaming.
- One up one down promotion play off match
- Average crowds of 10k in SL for every team
- Average 3k for every team in champ
Blah blah blah

Or in ten years is their a union style comp alongside English SL with teams from italy, ireland, scotland, wales, france etc.

Someone tell us what we're all working towards!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Wow! Toulouse lost!! Well done to Rochdale.

Yeah shocking. This is why I hate the model for league one. surely after a full season going unbearencandtopping the ladder you deserve to be promoted automatically. hopefully they recover and get through the upcoming games to get up anyway

langpark

First Grade
Fair play to Rochdale though. It's ok, I too, like many of us, want Toulouse to go up as well. I know this is sport and anything can happen, but I'm pretty sure they are going to demolish their next opponent (York?)

f**k sake. They'll probably bomb out altogether now. The sport in the northern hemisphere will be a mediocre non-event forever if clubs with potential like Toulouse are held back because tin pot clubs that offer nothing more than they already deliver have to be pandered to by the rfl for the sake of "earning it". I guess Toulouse need to spend another half a mil next year and sign some NRL and SL players to ensure they "earn in".

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Cannot find any listing for the Toulouse v York fixture anywhere. Would have thought it would be on the coming weekend but no sign of it on rugby-league.com or BBC rugby league pages. Barrow v Doncaster is shown for 25th September.

roughyedspud

Coach
f**k sake. They'll probably bomb out altogether now. The sport in the northern hemisphere will be a mediocre non-event forever if clubs with potential like Toulouse are held back because tin pot clubs that offer nothing more than they already deliver have to be pandered to by the rfl for the sake of "earning it". I guess Toulouse need to spend another half a mil next year and sign some NRL and SL players to ensure they "earn in".

Potentials no good if they can't back it up on the field..

Blame the RFL for not putting them up automatically...but its not the RFLs fault they lost at home!

[QUOTE="roughyedspud, post: 11803188, member: 14552]

Blame the RFL for not putting them up automatically.[/QUOTE]
I do. Should have happened five years ago or more.

Corrected for you ECT.
They beat them all year. Even went close to beating the team that has just been promoted to SL. But it's all irrelevant.

The old UTC would have had similar on-field standards prior to Catalans being accepted into SL. Did that matter? Of course not. So what's changed? Cleary the RFL has pandered to the tin pot clubs who don't offer any more than they already do and that's why the sport in the northern hemisphere is going nowhere. The biggest governing body there is bending over backwards for clubs that have gone nowhere in 100 years to ensure they stifle a club that could add huge value to the sport, not only in France, but in England too. But the fans there will still whinge that the media there ignores RL and they'll still whinge that they can't find decent international opposition and they'll still whinge that SL is boring and predictable when the same clubs play each other six times a year at the same venues in the same towns and they'll still whinge that they don't get enough sponsorship and tv revenue. But then they'll also whinge if Toulouse is promoted to SL to help fix those problems because they didn't win enough of the right lower league games. Welcome to the backward world of northern RL fans.

flamin

Juniors
Cannot find any listing for the Toulouse v York fixture anywhere. Would have thought it would be on the coming weekend but no sign of it on rugby-league.com or BBC rugby league pages. Barrow v Doncaster is shown for 25th September.
http://m.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/1475...t_then_so_did_Rochdale__says_boss_James_Ford/

The semi-final has been confirmed for 5pm (4pm UK time) on Saturday, being switched from the Stade Ernest Argeles, Toulouse's temporary ground in Blagnac this year, to their traditional Stade des Minimes closer to the city centre, which is currently being expanded to hold a 10,000 capacity.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Pommy

Coach
Really conflicted I want Toulouse to win for the good of the sport but I can't root against my home town even though I wouldn't consider myself a raiders fan.

adamkungl

Immortal
York apparently played with 12. Didnt bother fielding a full squad after getting told they won't get promoted even if they win the comp. Got flogged. What a ridiculous situation.

So this weekend we have
Hull KR v Salford in the Million Pound Game, one to go down with Leigh already going up to Super League.
Toulouse v Barrow for Championship promotion, with Rochdale already going up.

Bradford are heavy favourites playing Sheffield for the Championship Shield.

Newcastle claimed the League1 Shield over North Wales Crusaders a couple of weeks back.

Latest posts