What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESL coverage 2012

Panfas

Juniors
Because that's how many games Sky want to show, it's always been that way. No domestic sports league has every match televised here, not even the EPL. I guess the RFL could sell the rights to televise the remaining Super League games, but up to now it hasn't been financially worth sacrificing the extra money Sky pay to have exclusivity.
Really, not even EPL has every match? wow. That is amazing and I guess Australia is spoilt with sports telecasts

Thanks for the info

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Can someone please tell me why only 2 games are televised each week in the ESL? I know its been like this for a while, but I have always wondered why?

Because the club's main source of income is gate receipts and there isn't enough money in the TV deal to cover the losses clubs would see if their home game was on tv

BODISGOD

Bench
Because that's how many games Sky want to show, it's always been that way. No domestic sports league has every match televised here, not even the EPL. I guess the RFL could sell the rights to televise the remaining Super League games, but up to now it hasn't been financially worth sacrificing the extra money Sky pay to have exclusivity.

It would damage attendances as well.

BODISGOD

Bench
Really, not even EPL has every match? wow. That is amazing and I guess Australia is spoilt with sports telecasts

Thanks for the info

They want to protect attendances. Also the BBC's Match of the Day highlights programme is very valuable and would be damaged if you had live 3pm games available on demand.

BODISGOD

Bench
What is the format of that show?

It runs through highlights of the days games. Few extended highlights. It's on about 10.30 on BBC1 so is in a prime spot.

(note Sky have a service called Football First. At 8 o'clock they rerun one game from the afternoon. Once MOTD starts they have all the games on demand).

Protecting attendances is the main thing and that's not just Premier League. You have I think 92 English clubs with 80-90% of them playing on Saturday at 3 o'clock. Then there's Scottish League games as well.

Funnily in Ireland we get a game at 3pm every Saturday as we are just outside the jurisdiction. Some UK pubs get that feed and other international feeds and show the games. The exact legality of that is up in the air.