What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESL coverage 2012

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere. Are there any signs of any improvement in ESL TV coverage this year? Wouldn't be difficult in Melbourne - big fat zero last year despite the multitude of digital channels these days. Do Ch9 still have the rights?

coldhardbitch

Juniors
Well the initial TV deal with Ch9 has expired, so unless it's been extended then hopefully Fox pick it up. Last time Fox had it they had poor coverage, but if Fox can show lower league English soccer, English domestic cricket and premier league darts live, surely they can broadcast 2 ESL games a week live- particularly with the Red button option.

Spitty

Juniors
I've emailed and tweeted Super League for info on who's got the TV rights but haven't received a response. So either they don't know, or they don't care enough to respond. I also tweeted 'Gus' as to whether he knows if Ch9 has it and he didn't know.

I'll keep trying, but at this stage it's not looking good. Hopefully if no Oz networks pick it up, then Super League will open Australia up to see the games online. At the moment we're blocked because of the TV rights.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Is the WCC going to be on Sky? It doesn't seem to be in their schedules...

It would be very unusual if not. I'm sure it would've been included in the last tv deal Sky negotiated.

I watch most Superleague games live over the internet via a slingbox I bought and installed at my folks place in the UK. Quality is poor tho, and lets face it, it's a ridiculous situation when a network buys rights for tv coverage off another network and then chooses not to use them. I once watched a game on CH9 HD on IQ (shown at some unsociable hour - which i'm fine with btw) and they decided to cut off the last 10 minutes of the game to show location location location. Incredible

Cheers all for your enquiries. I'm sure we'll hear more in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed for an improvement

Manlybeachbum

Juniors
Hi guys,

I think Bigpond (Telstra) shows Super League games live via League TV.

I've also been waiting an announcment re Super League TV rights over here in Oz. Ch9 coverage has been an' insult to the English game over the last 3 years.

If I hear anything re TV coverage I'll post it on here.

Wire for ESL Premiers 2012... Manly to go back to back in NRL.

Didgi

Guys. Sky Sports pick two games per round to televise in the UK. Those same two games are given to Ch 9, and also to Telstra. Last season Telstra's League TV (and yes, T-Box too) played ESL games over the week - not sure exactly when, but at a much more reasonable hour than Channel 9 did. Just a matter of finding the times. It's just the two SKY games, not everything.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Guys. Sky Sports pick two games per round to televise in the UK. Those same two games are given to Ch 9, and also to Telstra. Last season Telstra's League TV (and yes, T-Box too) played ESL games over the week - not sure exactly when, but at a much more reasonable hour than Channel 9 did. Just a matter of finding the times. It's just the two SKY games, not everything.

That's good to know. Think i can pick that up on the samsung telly and it isn't subjected to the muppet-like dealings of Ch9 victoria "this is an AFL state" tv scheduling execs

Spitty

Juniors

Awesome. I only expected the 2 games, so I'm stoked about that. Better result that I expected.

But for the benefit of those without T-box's or Samsung TV's, is it confirmed that they'll still be giving the games to Ch9?

paulmac

Juniors
I recieved an email from the RFL today and they said that they are still talking to several channels regarding the Aussie tv rights but there will be definately something in place for round 1.Also emailed Steve Mascord and he said he would chase it up for me.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
I recieved an email from the RFL today and they said that they are still talking to several channels regarding the Aussie tv rights but there will be definately something in place for round 1.Also emailed Steve Mascord and he said he would chase it up for me.

Nice work! Sounds promising...

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Any news on the broadcasters for 2012 yet. NZ got sorted already so surely a matter of time, with kick off less than a week away

I e-mailed fox yesterday and they advised me that channel 9 have the rights for the 2012 season :(. So i guess because we are based in Adelaide, there will be zero coverage agian even in the middle of the night!!! Channel 9 are a disgrace.

hutch

First Grade
I e-mailed fox yesterday and they advised me that channel 9 have the rights for the 2012 season :(. So i guess because we are based in Adelaide, there will be zero coverage agian even in the middle of the night!!! Channel 9 are a disgrace.

that is extremely disapointing!

LeedsStorm

Juniors

I'd trust info from RFL rather than Foxtel, but lets face it, both clearly have morons in the ranks! If Ch9 have the 2012 rights, does that mean they have bought them with the intention of not showing any coverage? Cant find league at all in the tv guides....

Spitty

Juniors
Ch9 didn't start there midnight highlights package until round 5 or 6 last year. So I wouldn't expect any different this year. Fingers crossed bigpond are still gonna pick up games.

Latest posts