What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion, where and when??

Fraser

get a 2nd NZ team, preferably in NZ, lot more league fans over there now sick of the all blacks choking in yawnion :thumn

Bro Bear

Juniors
Like the idea of clubs that are struggling with finance to align themselves with other area's e.g Perth - Souths/Penrith, Adelaide/Wellington - Sharks/Roosters, Manly - QLD. The game does not have to be national for the sake of it. SA and WA the game is virtually unknown. Melbourne have been a success on the field but of it a question mark. Melbourne people will always be AFL. Vice versa Adelaide and Perth they will always be AFL states. AFL are expanding but they should of went to Tasmania before Gold Coast and Western Sydney. QLD and NSW is where the strength of the game is and that is where the next two teams should be. Maybe the game needs a total review of its competitions - NRL, NSW Cup and QLD Cup. Don't rely on the NSWRL and CRL to do much thinking.

dimitri

First Grade
Is that why Chris Johns and John Ribot initialy decided to call them the Mavericks till Murdoch Jnr decided that they should be called the Storm?

I was of the belief the ARL were going to call the Melbourne Team the Monarchs!

However when push came to shove it was decided that Storm was a better name.

I dont see the problem?????

Gold Coast were going to be called the Dolphins before they were the Titans??? They also had many other names before this (Giants, Seagulls, Chargers, Gladiators (attempted) )

Slackboy72

Coach
One reason surely would be that the value of our television rights without the Storm would drop severely when compared with the AFL (as they are now), the AFL's future strategic expansionist plans, and that our competition would look to be contracting instead of going gang busters.

That's where the boss of the AFL does so well, he is able to engender that feeling that the AFL is doing ever so well, he is never coy and is always looking to think big.

Have you noticed any of the threads here from league fans in Melbourne who have to find a pub showing an NT satellite feed in order to see a game?

CTC9 in Melbourne doesn't want to show league rightly or wrongly. The attraction of a team in Melbourne and the number of viewers that may bring is negligible to broadcasters.
What they do care about is Friday night football, State of Origin, Finals and selling FoxTel subscriptions in NSW and QLD.

joshreading

Staff member
People here often say things to the effect of 'there is no demand for RL in Adelaide or Perth. Especially in WA that certainly is rubbish (I have lived in WA) and whilst there are certain challenges both options offer a wider base for RL in general. Whilst I have never lived in Adelaide, I am consistently surprised at the openess of South Australians. With the Rams they had good crowds and potential.

Places such as Adelaide can offer a stable long term future for the Sharks that is actually found in our sport as opposed to continually relying on outside sources for money. (imagine a potential casual supporter base of over a million rather than 300 thousand - that means dollars in sponsorship)

Expansion in the long term offers great financial return.Even with dismal TV ratings in NSW/QLD AFL actually gets better Ad returns in QLD/NSW then any other area. The same potential lies ahead for RL in expanding
into other areas.

I am not sure Adelaide could in the near future support a full time NRL side but certainly the potential exists for a stable part time team that is permanently connected.

Such dual City/Regional Clubs would solve a number of our problems in regards to expansion and consolidation.

Ant

Juniors
Just on a couple of points.

First why do we need expansion or more to the point why do we need to expand in areas that are not in league heartlands. It's simple economics really, we have to increase the rugby league pool in Australia. I mean both financially and in terms of players.

Rugby League in Australia is a unique and difficult position. No other country has 4 major codes of football all offering proffesional opportunites. Not only that once we get a player to choose our code to play we face challenges from Euro super league, ARU and NZRU teams, Japanese rugby, various European rugby teams and bizarrely now even AFL. If the NRL cannot offer it's players a high quality salary which is somewhat comparible with these other options we will lose more players, both in development stage and once they are professionals.

We will not increase our pool unless we expand into new areas, which is what the AFL and all other codes have done and are doing. The AFL realise the value of sydney and brisbane, they expanded into hostile territory in 1982 and 1986 and it took them. In their first 13 years they averaged crowds of about 13000 in sydney, not too disimilar to the storm. Brisbane averaged only 10000 in their first 10 years worse than the storm. But the AFL pushed on, it took 15 years for either side to gain any sort of foothold.

But the AFL are now able to command much higher TV deals because they have a national comp, even if AFL is still not that popular in nsw and qld, the fact that most sports fans still take a slight interest is enough.
So yes we can just play in nsw and qld but long term its not enough, because other codes will expand their pools and be able to offer kids and proffessionals better more lucrative options. While we never get bigger.

I am not against a team on the central coast, just think there are other priorities. As stated it is already a league stronghold, and even though it would be ideal to have a team there it does not offer any great advantage to the game outside of the great benefits to that community.

Perth or Adelaide are brand new markets with a great chance to expand. Just as there are kids now playing in Victoria who would have never played without the expansion to melbourne. Perth was building when they were booted and still have a solid league comp. In the SL perth u/18s actually won the comp with a primarily made up of WA younsgters. Sideshow bob Matt Peterson was from WA.

PNG was thrown up which ideally is a good idea. The simple problem is they would have to have double the salary cap to get people to live there. Aussies living in Moresby (not everywhere else), generally live behind 10 foot fences and have armed security out front in some instances. They often call their houses compounds, which gives you the impression. It took 10 years to get any decent players to live in townsville which is safe.. A PNG qld cup team is a good idea. But the NRL is light years away due to safety and standard of living, an NRL superstar will not be moving there anytime soon.

The Tank

Bench
I can't believe there are people dumb enough to wonder why expansion is good for the game. It's baffling really.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ha ha lol at the suburban hicks who have no concept at the value of a national RL!

You do realise how bad our GF viewing figures would have looked without the 900,000 Victorian viewers don't you?

re the question would I support a partially relocated Sydney team ie Panthers, Hell yes! I love RL and anything that gets the NRL into Perth would get my support. I still truly believe Perth is big enough, rich enough and has enough jnr RL that we can have a stand alone team though.

siv

First Grade
My letter to David Gallop said to address this issue

1 - expand the comp to 18 teams with 25 rounds
- CC Bears (playing 3 games at NSO)
- West Brisbane

2 - every club has a regional connection and plays 2 games in that location every year (one in season and a trial)
- Souths (Coffs/Perth), Manly(Noosa), Nth Qld(Mt Isa/Cairns), Canberra(Wagga/Albury), Penrith (Dubbo), Parramatta(Darwin), Canterbury(Canterbury NZ), Brisbane(Toowomba), Gold Coast(Lismore), Newcastle (Armidale), Melbourne (Hobart/Launceston)

3 - some teams play 6 games in their regional location
- eg Cronulla(Adelaide), St Merge(Wollongong), Wests(Campbelltown), Easts (Rockhampton), Auckland(Wellington NZ)

Feej

First Grade
3 - some teams play 6 games in their regional location
- eg Cronulla(Adelaide), St Merge(Wollongong), Wests(Campbelltown), Easts (Rockhampton), Auckland(Wellington NZ)
So I see you aren't a big fan of the Roosters or the Sharks?

This is what all these "expansion" threads come down to. "As long as it doesn't affect my team, move this mob, cut this team.......

ha ha lol at the suburban hicks who have no concept at the value of a national RL!

You do realise how bad our GF viewing figures would have looked without the 900,000 Victorian viewers don't you?

re the question would I support a partially relocated Sydney team ie Panthers, Hell yes! I love RL and anything that gets the NRL into Perth would get my support. I still truly believe Perth is big enough, rich enough and has enough jnr RL that we can have a stand alone team though.

PR, I fully appreciate your passion and desire for Perth's return to the NRL. I'd like it too.

My wife's from Perth so I go there once a year and am amazed how many rectangular fields you have there. So there's obviously some interest.

There's no way in hell that Storm could've taken off/survived without News Ltd's considerable and long term investment. Given your city has two much followed AFL sides, I can't seeing you getting a team without someone being prepared put up the cash to fund it for the long hall. The NRL has nothing and Bondy is quiet these days.

Fraser

we should open up teams in PNG, Wellington and christchurch, perth and adelaide in the next 10 years. cull half the sydney teams while your at it so our NRL will be the international comp

we should open up teams in PNG, Wellington and christchurch, perth and adelaide in the next 10 years. cull half the sydney teams while your at it so our NRL will be the international comp

we dont need teams in all these outposts just a regular presence like 6 games per year

Bro Bear

Juniors
League in SA is virtually non extistent. The game is slowly growing in VIC after ten years with the Storm. But they are losing huge amounts of money - why because most of the business world in VIC supports AFL and Channel Nine is an useless channel to broadcast the NRL in VIC.

SA would be a death wish. A current NRL club could play 3 games there to see if it would be worthwell. I have serious doubts.

The game needs to go to where the fans are.

Central Coast, QLD and possibly WA as the next two clubs.

I liKe Siv's idea of placing certain games with a club at the outposts.

joshreading

Staff member
Can we get something straight - Melbourne Storm are the THIRD largest in terms of financial turnover in the NRL (operating on about 21 million last year) Their losses were under 3 million last year after returns etc.

Now take out the 3 million and you have 18 million - MORE THAN ANY SYDNEY TEAM OPERATES ON!

They no doubt could cut such expenditure down but lets be honest if you have an owner like News which is willing to spend because they make money elsewhere because of you then SPEND IT!

Next year we move into the new Stadium - crowds will go up and most importantly for the bottom line - corporates will increase significantly. Brisbane takes home about TEN MILLION every year from their gates and corporates entertainment each year. (some Sydney clubs take virtually nothing) Melbourne will be positioning to do similar (obviously not as much)

Can you imagine the riches of Melbourne Storm when we finally crack the FTA nut and are shown in Vic as well as NSW/QLD? Sponsorship is going to be through the roof.