What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fav 80's Saints Player?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
He didn't want to go. Trust me, he was told to go .

Why? Was it due to the knee injury sustained playing for NSW at the old Lang Park, or another reason?

I couldn't never understand the logic behind a decision to relinquish such a dynamic player, especially one that had just played SOO, and was Winger Of The Year just two years previously.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Phil Richie a good underrated hooker.

Losing Greame O'Grady hurt the club as bad as losing O'Connor (that was devastating)

I think you'll find "Snake" O'Grady decided to retire just prior to the '85 grand final.

A good player in his short stint at the club though.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
While Steve Morris was unquestionably my favourite Dragon of the 80s, other nominees include Craig Young, John Jansen, and of course, the legendary (late) Robert Stone.

Without him, I doubt the Dragons would be playing ANY home games at Kogarah Oval right now.

And, then there's Beatie, Johnston and Walford.

Later, in the decade, Saints acquired three ex Brisbane Brothers players - Bailey, Gill, and Mohr. Although not obviously rated highly by the Broncos, they all had their moments.

Shane Kelly, although he didn't have a long career, he was vastly underrated.

One more....Wally Fullerton Smith.Im surprised Bennett didn't get his clutches on him.

Walpole

Juniors
Ricky Walford, hands down. 104 tries, 2nd highest point scorer (behind Changa) when he retired, immortalised by Rex Mossop as Ricky "Walpole". Dragons legend on and off the field.

Special mention to Slippery Morris, Craig Young, Pat Jarvis and the great centre combination of Mick Beattie and Brian Johnston.

Old Timer

Coach
Ricky Walford, hands down. 104 tries, 2nd highest point scorer (behind Changa) when he retired, immortalised by Rex Mossop as Ricky "Walpole". Dragons legend on and off the field.

Special mention to Slippery Morris, Craig Young, Pat Jarvis and the great centre combination of Mick Beattie and Brian Johnston.
Ricky was my favourite with Slippery
The Rex Mossop calls around both players was as equally legendary

ALSGI

Bench
Definately The Great Ricky Walford, closely followed by Slippery until he left us.
Most hated was Terry Lamb, still hate him with a passion (but Hodges has taken that mantle now).

Latest posts