What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fav 80's Saints Player?

bretA

Juniors
reserve grader for me played a few first grade games johnny Conway hooker smithtown would remember him

Gomarchin

Juniors
Brian Johnson
Graeme Wynn
Steve Morris
Devastated when O'Connor left for Manly and cried for a week when we lost the '85 GF.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
While Steve Morris was unquestionably my favourite Dragon of the 80s, other nominees include Craig Young, John Jansen, and of course, the legendary (late) Robert Stone.

Without him, I doubt the Dragons would be playing ANY home games at Kogarah Oval right now.

And, then there's Beatie, Johnston and Walford.

Later, in the decade, Saints acquired three ex Brisbane Brothers players - Bailey, Gill, and Mohr. Although not obviously rated highly by the Broncos, they all had their moments.

Shane Kelly, although he didn't have a long career, he was vastly underrated.

One more....Wally Fullerton Smith.Im surprised Bennett didn't get his clutches on him.
No. 1 Steve Morris with out a doubt. First to come to mind was Slippery. I remember smashing his Enmore High team that he coached, then going over and having a chat to him after the game.

I actually forgot about Chris Guider, I remember him as a tiny hooker that was all heart. So yes, special mention to him.

As mentioned in one of my previous posts Slippery had his named written by a supporter in thick black texta on one of the blank sponsor boards attached to the fence back in those days.

Next players that I really enjoyed watching were Walford, Mackay, Jonstone, Johnson Beatie, Rocket Reddy and Young. Special mention to the black Porsche he was an excitement machine.

In summary the only player since Slippery Morris to date that had that speed, exciting to watch in full flight and evasiveness is Jimmy the Jet Roberts. Would love him to come to our rehab club if he is off contract.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
No. 1 Steve Morris with out a doubt. First to come to mind was Slippery. I remember smashing his Enmore High team that he coached, then going over and having a chat to him after the game.

I actually forgot about Chris Guider, I remember him as a tiny hooker that was all heart. So yes, special mention to him.

As mentioned in one of my previous posts Slippery had his named written by a supporter in thick black texta on one of the blank sponsor boards attached to the fence back in those days.

Next players that I really enjoyed watching were Walford, Mackay, Jonstone, Johnson Beatie, Rocket Reddy and Young. Special mention to the black Porsche he was an excitement machine.

In summary the only player since Slippery Morris to date that had that speed, exciting to watch in full flight and evasiveness is Jimmy the Jet Roberts. Would love him to come to our rehab club if he is off contract.

I'd say with a fair amount of certainty that Larry Cowora had Morris covered for pace.

As Roberts has already rejected overtures to join SGI, It's most unlikely he will change his mind.

ALSGI

Bench
I was shattered after the 85 grand final too. I don't think that I have ever got over it. If we had won it would have been the best day of my life as a youth.
Yes, the 85 loss was sad. To make it worse, as a young Soldier in Townsville I could only get news about the lead up by waiting for my Rugby league week and Sydney newspapers to get delivered, then having to watch it with a boozer full of VFL idiots. Vaguely remember the end of our run in the 60's, the roller coaster 70's (75 my darkest memories as a teen).

Still, as a supporter 2016 ranks as the worse period I've ever experienced and those responsible at HQ should be ashamed.

j0nesy

Bench
I liked Mick Potter as a player. He was always so reliable. Ricky Walford was another favourite of mine. Brad Mackay was great but played his best in he 90's. Can't remember much of the early 80's but from memory have to say Reddy and Morris.

Last edited:
Yes, the 85 loss was sad. To make it worse, as a young Soldier in Townsville I could only get news about the lead up by waiting for my Rugby league week and Sydney newspapers to get delivered, then having to watch it with a boozer full of VFL idiots. Vaguely remember the end of our run in the 60's, the roller coaster 70's (75 my darkest memories as a teen).

Still, as a supporter 2016 ranks as the worse period I've ever experienced and those responsible at HQ should be ashamed.
You bring back memories...
'75 was really heartbreaking as Langlands was one of my all time favourites. To see him being humiliated that day was more than I could bear.
2 others stand out
(a) 1996 GF against Manly - Ridge getting up and running after being tackled by Brown.
Up until that point, we were right in it.
(b) 1999 GF - Mundine hogging the ball and fumbling it instead of sending a simple pass out to Tracey.
Threw away premiership number 17 that day.
I started following Saints as a youngster after watching the 1971 GF where we played a monster, star studded South Sydney outfit and lost after holding them to 10-11 until late in the game.
Fast forward to today (and especially 2016) it is hard to comprehend.

ALSGI

Bench
You bring back memories...
'75 was really heartbreaking as Langlands was one of my all time favourites. To see him being humiliated that day was more than I could bear.
2 others stand out
(a) 1996 GF against Manly - Ridge getting up and running after being tackled by Brown.
Up until that point, we were right in it.
(b) 1999 GF - Mundine hogging the ball and fumbling it instead of sending a simple pass out to Tracey.
Threw away premiership number 17 that day.
I started following Saints as a youngster after watching the 1971 GF where we played a monster, star studded South Sydney outfit and lost after holding them to 10-11 until late in the game.
Fast forward to today (and especially 2016) it is hard to comprehend.
Good memories mate, 71 was the first GF I went to and I remember Dad explaining we were in all three grades which I kept telling everybody all week.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
Craig Young easily.

I think we played you in a final in the early 1980's. I was there.

The game had just started when the Souths captain ( a strong winger called Ziggy nziscot) flew into the middle and punched Young in the jaw and then I think he ran for his life, young didn't look like he'd felt anything. But the stink, it was on.

We weren't going to beat you with talent, so we chose wanton violence.

Needless to say you weren't intimidated and you won the match.

In those days, the ref checked for a pulse and if he found one, a penalty. Near (white light) or actual death was about the only send off offence. Have a look at those early origin days.

But tbh I preferred the style of Dean Young and his "fullback" style footwork. Amazing talent. Pedigree!

JamesRustle

First Grade
I liked John Fifita. He was a tough nut and made me laugh at some of the dumb things he'd get penalised for. I remember him getting pinged for padding after being tackled on more than one occasion! Those undisciplined things give me the shits now when players do them, but back then I was amused.

gregstar

Referee
Kinchela also had no right being in first grade that day. We had so much 3/4 depth that year
do you remember Kinchela's seaon? He was tremendous. He was the best winger on the field in the grand final qualifier. It was 86 when his career went south.

gregstar

Referee
Losing Greame O'Grady hurt the club as bad as losing O'Connor....)
i agree that it was sad losing o'grady, but he retired. He was at the end of his career. If fafita was injured, "snakes" would have been a reserve in the gf, which would have been better for the team.

He was one of my all time favourite players!

Latest posts