What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Why are they talking about a double header? If there's 2 games in Sydney, play them on separate days. Saturday at Allianz and Sunday at ANZ.

And why cant the Broncos match be a Friday night? This is probably the one time where I want the Broncos playing on Friday night.

It shouldn't matter if the game is 1 v 4, 5 v 8. This is a finals match, a huge game which is gonna be watched by millions of people.

myrrh ken

First Grade
(for Sharks to keep their home final they need to beat the Storm, and I don't expect that to happen, and then hope the Tigers beat the Raiders).

Read your post again dummy. It is wrong for 2 reasons:

1. The part in bold is incorrect. It doesn't need to happen. If Sharks win, they get a home semi.

2. If Sharks lose and Raiders win - there is still a 6 point for and against difference that would need to be made up. Which is obviously likely.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Read your post again dummy. It is wrong for 2 reasons:

1. The part in bold is incorrect. It doesn't need to happen. If Sharks win, they get a home semi.

2. If Sharks lose and Raiders win - there is still a 6 point for and against difference that would need to be made up. Which is obviously likely.

You know the Storm winning by 7 or more wipes the 6 point F/A difference and the Raiders then only need win?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Yes. There is a 6 point differential that would need to be made up between both games.

EDIT the whole point is that Sharks having a home semi is not as remote a possibility as has been suggested

TheFrog

Coach
And why cant the Broncos match be a Friday night?
The Broncos, if in fact they qualify for a home final in week 1, could play the Titans, Tigers or Panthers (the last pretty unlikely but possible, this match is also possible in Sydney which would cause serious headaches). The Tigers and Panthers both play on Sunday in the last round, a 5 day turnaround vs an 8 day turnaround. Clearly not fair especially for a team that also have to travel interstate (losing much of a day). If it's the Titans Friday is acceptable as they play Saturday and are a neighbouring club.

Sunday at ANZ.

If this match involves the Bulldogs it means they cannot play Hopoate. Hard to imagine Greenberg disadvantaging his team like this.

Last edited:

Game_Breaker

Coach
Yes. There is a 6 point differential that would need to be made up between both games.

EDIT the whole point is that Sharks having a home semi is not as remote a possibility as has been suggested

Not remote, but not likely
They need to beat Storm in Melbourne or hope Tigers beat Raiders

But you're right, if Storm and Raiders both win by 2 points then Sharks still finish 2nd
The collective margins has to be 7 points or more

lockyno1

Post Whore
Thing is if you have a double header you won't get a sell out. Didn't in 2013, and in fact the supporters of those involved in the early game, a good proportion of them left before the 2nd game. Conversely those who's team were involved in the 2nd game didn't turn up until closer to kick-off in their team's game.

Also the reason people are up in arms about ceding ANZ to the AFL for the first week is none of us believe if the situation were the other way around that the AFL would cede any ground to the NRL. It is thus stupid to do anything which helps a rival code.

Each to their own I guess. I don't really mind double headers but they have to be used sparingly. Ideally I'd rather just have a game Saturday and one on Sunday at Allianz anyway. I don't see the changing of the venue as a slap in the face to the NRL either, if anything ANZ were very open about this being the ONLY time a venue change would occur.

I would rather less games at ANZ though, it is a terrible ground for spectators.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
has their been a year where so many different variables can happen for the first week of finals from the final rounds results?

Jamberoo

Juniors
Did you actually read what I wrote? :joy: I suggested the Storm final be on Sunday at AAMI Park. There is no AFL scheduled that day - not just in Melbourne but ANYWHERE. As Buzz would say - a 'free kick' to the NRL.
Fair enough.
My point is more around the fact that it will be hard to get in and out of AAMI Park Friday night because of 80K next door @ MCG, not because Melbournians are at home watching other games on TV (there are only 3 Melbourne teams in AFL finals). Any Sat/Sunday slots will be fine.

I am surprised that every second post on this thread mentions the AFL. So I will contribute this:-
There is no anti RL agenda here in Melbourne like you guys seem to have with AFL in Sydney. What is it like in Queensland? Whether they folllow RL or not, most Victorians want Storm to do well, there is no 'war' like in NSW. Cam Smith in particular gets plenty of air time (even on AFL 360), and AFL clubs are happy to cross promote. Most Storm fans I meet are NSW/QLD/NZ/UK ex-pats, but you can certainly follow both codes.

Is any potential AFL growth in Sydney necessarily at the expense of RL? Who are the 10K that go to GWS games? Did they switch from RL? Do they follow both? Or are they new to watching sport? Is anyone looking into this stuff? Will going head-to-head with AFL actually affect anything? Does there have to be a winner and a loser? If NRL rights sell for the same as AFL, where does all the money go?

Paullyboy

Coach
Fair enough.
My point is more around the fact that it will be hard to get in and out of AAMI Park Friday night because of 80K next door @ MCG, not because Melbournians are at home watching other games on TV (there are only 3 Melbourne teams in AFL finals). Any Sat/Sunday slots will be fine.

I am surprised that every second post on this thread mentions the AFL. So I will contribute this:-
There is no anti RL agenda here in Melbourne like you guys seem to have with AFL in Sydney. What is it like in Queensland? Whether they folllow RL or not, most Victorians want Storm to do well, there is no 'war' like in NSW. Cam Smith in particular gets plenty of air time (even on AFL 360), and AFL clubs are happy to cross promote. Most Storm fans I meet are NSW/QLD/NZ/UK ex-pats, but you can certainly follow both codes.

Is any potential AFL growth in Sydney necessarily at the expense of RL? Who are the 10K that go to GWS games? Did they switch from RL? Do they follow both? Or are they new to watching sport? Is anyone looking into this stuff? Will going head-to-head with AFL actually affect anything? Does there have to be a winner and a loser? If NRL rights sell for the same as AFL, where does all the money go?

It used to be a case where it was a war, but it really isn't anymore - people who care about other sports need to get a life (I posted this exact thing in the Fight Club).

I used to vocally detest AFL (and still don't understand its appeal at all) because it was a very real battle for newspaper space and for the chance to get your game shown on the TV at the pub.

Nowadays in the modern world, newspapers are moments away from extinction (in the old paper form) so you just go to the website which focuses on the sport you like - as for TV - it's all about streaming now so you don't need to go to the pub (if you don't have foxtel) and desperately hope they have the league on one of the screens.

Now I don't have to see soccer or AFL or union and it's lovely. I wouldn't have the faintest idea who is doing well in the AFL or Super 15 and I genuinely had no idea there was a union test on last weekend until I saw it was on in the background.

Timmah

Staff member
Fair enough.

Absolutely agree Friday would be stupid and disastrous for RL - no point in putting a game on with the Hawks playing next door.

I live in Melbourne and tend to agree, there's no anti-RL sentiment down here, it's more a lack of knowledge than any opposition to it, as you tend to see in Sydney.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Of course there is no anti rl sentiment in melbourne

You dont walk into a pub in richmond on friday night and see rugby league on all tvs

Like you do in surry hills.. with afl

You dont drive past schools in melbourne with rl posts everywhere

You dont have to read the herald sun every day with rl paid stories in them

We have to look at swans flags on pubs in eastern suburbs when easts win minor premiership

Victorian people dont go to mates houses who are watching rl on fta on sat night cos they dont have fox and there is nothing else on

Its not much fun to see...

Timmah

Staff member
Of course there is no anti rl sentiment in melbourne

You dont walk into a pub in richmond on friday night and see rugby league on all tvs

Like you do in surry hills.. with afl

You dont drive past schools in melbourne with rl posts everywhere

You dont have to read the herald sun every day with rl paid stories in them

We have to look at swans flags on pubs in eastern suburbs when easts win minor premiership

Victorian people dont go to mates houses who are watching rl on fta on sat night cos they dont have fox and there is nothing else on

Its not much fun to see...
Funny, I've walked into three different pubs in Richmond in recent months, all who've had RL on at least one screen. Plus a few in suburban Melbourne. During AFL games mind you!

I was in Surry Hills earlier this year and visited two pubs, neither of which had any AFL on. Round 1 as well, if I recall, when interested would be fairly high, you'd think.

Your anecdotes (which is what they are) have some level of truth in them but also contain a bit of hyperbole. I did a fair bit of travelling around Sydney in recent years and can't say I've seen AFL posts "everywhere" (though they certainly exist and the AFL are pushing hard - doesn't mean they're winning some giant battle). Being surprised at AFL interest in Eastern Sydney is nothing new either, that's arguably Swans heartland.

As for the HS - most down here take it in the same manner Sydney-siders take the Tele... for the trash rag it is.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Do melbourne woolworths have milk with official nrl logo milk on them?

Does melbourne have mars bars with nrl finals logos on them ?

Do you see kids walking to school in melbourne with rl backpacks ?

You know the best war to win ..

is a war when the other side doesnt know they are at war

Status
Not open for further replies.