What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Foran

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Can't see him lasting the length of his contract, I think he is the source of the disquiet in Sea Eagle land.
Too much money tied up in one player.

I think the media would like everyone to believe all that, and there may be a little bit in it, but behind the scenes the realities are a lot different in regards to him, maybe in the past that would be the case with the old group, but not within this current playing group. The only difference between now and last year, when everyone was praising him up,captain of the year nominee etc, is that we were winning games. Someone I know in aussie was having a beer with a player from last years squad last weekend, and he said DCE is the most liked player in the side

The money thing I find funny as well, nobody knows how much of his deal is TPA for a start, but it is absolutely no different to what Saints have with Hunt, Storm with Smith, Cowboys with Thurston, Roosters with Cronk, Broncos with Milford, Warriors with SJ etc

Rich102

Staff member
Time will tell. Guess they have to start winning first then the rumor will go away.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
That's the key to everything. Amazes me what a free ride the Cowboys are getting this season for where they are with their squad

WellsNZ

Juniors
His body is just too f**ked unfortunately. Was always likely with how he played but a shame because he was such a great player early on.

For the Dogs sake hopefully they can get the medical retirement. Still can't believe the stupidity of turfing Graham and Reynolds to throw away money on him and Woods.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Apparently the Dogs are working behind the scenes to get Foran medically retired

Win/win for both parties, Foran would get every cent of his contract and the Dogs would have his salary wiped off their cap instantly for the next few seasons

Seems dodgy as hell to me, but I'm sure with Toddy running things the Doggies will be ok

Whichever way it goes, it is a sad wind down to a career that started out with him looking like an all time kiwi great

I know it's a situation they use in the AFL - Dane Swan was medically retired from Collingwood and they paid him out etc...on the proviso he'd never play again. This year, he tried (and I think successfully) to come back and play club footy, makes a mockery of it all.

And it would with Foran too. He's been a busted arse for ages now, I can't see how they can medically retire him when any issues would've been pre-existing. Someone like Jharal Yow Yee, absolutely - a freak one-off injury like his, or Simon Dwyer's neck, absolutely should be grounds for a medical retirement. Not the Dogs for being dumb enough to sign a guy physical and mentally busted to pieces.

I almost feel sorry for Foran, although then I end up not being at all. I don't know how he became such a f**k-up.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I almost feel sorry for Foran, although then I end up not being at all. I don't know how he became such a f**k-up.

Just got in with the wrong crowd I think,that Hayson guy he ended up being best mates with lead him well up the wrong path, and coincidentally at the same time his body gave up on him as well. Even though the way he left Manly was pretty dirty, I was hoping he would come back into some sort of form at some point but have given up on that now

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just got in with the wrong crowd I think,that Hayson guy he ended up being best mates with lead him well up the wrong path, and coincidentally at the same time his body gave up on him as well. Even though the way he left Manly was pretty dirty, I was hoping he would come back into some sort of form at some point but have given up on that now

The impression;I get is around or just after the time of the 2011 premiership, that champion manly side started to attract some unsavoury hangers-on, Hawson being the most obvious.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I know it's a situation they use in the VFL - some unco was medically retired from Richington
This has already happened in League for many years.

This of course originated in the USA not Victoriania.

In fact blokes from the very same premiership team as Foran have done so.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The impression;I get is around or just after the time of the 2011 premiership, that champion manly side started to attract some unsavoury hangers-on, Hawson being the most obvious.

He came along with Joey Johns when he came onboard as halves coach, Joey didn't mind getting out on the chop with the lads after training either lol

ouryears

Bench
I agree but he gets a superstar salary to play like a has been and Manlys management must be frustrated over it.
I agree, but Manlys management continue to let him run the joint, show not much ownership, and deflate those around him.

One bad egg spoils the lot.

He can't be transformed, it's in his DNA and personality. They need to move him on.

Until they do, Manly are going nowhere.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I agree, but Manlys management continue to let him run the joint, show not much ownership, and deflate those around him.

One bad egg spoils the lot.

He can't be transformed, it's in his DNA and personality. They need to move him on.

Until they do, Manly are going nowhere.

It's just inconceivable that they could ever get a deal done to move him on. Another club would have to agree to accept a cancer that openly shat on a club last time he was going to move, and they'd either have to pick up his outrageously overblown salary....or Manly would have to shoulder a large part of his overblown salary and have no money to replace him (given they're already under salary cap squeeze).

He's not going anywhere. I don't even wish that on Manly, he's one of the most unlikeable players in NRL history.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Another club would have to agree to accept a cancer that openly shat on a club last time he was going to move

Roosters took Tedesco no worries, Sharks picked up Lewis, Broncos with Roberts, Warriors took Wiki and the list goes on and on from that standpoint, he was nowhere near the first to do a 180 on a deal, and he probably won't be the last even though the rules are tighter now

As I said further up in this topic, this time 12 months ago he was one of the form players in the comp leading Manly into the finals, was up for captain of the year, halfback of the year etc, now all of a sudden the team is losing a few and he can't play and is all the issue etc, overblown media hype as usual. Might have been an issue with the last generation of Manly stalwarts, but with the current group no issue, A fella I know in Oz was having a chat with a player from Manlys squad last season and he said DCE was the most popular guy in the squad, and the Trbojevic brothers have opened backed that up this week as well so I'll trust their judgement on this one over the likes of James Hooper and co who are banned from Narrabean. As I've said a few times, Cowboys are pretty much injury free, have both JTs on huge money along with Morgan just signing a big deal too, and are in the same spot as us, without the circus around them

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Roosters took Tedesco no worries, Sharks picked up Lewis, Broncos with Roberts, Warriors took Wiki and the list goes on and on from that standpoint, he was nowhere near the first to do a 180 on a deal, and he probably won't be the last even though the rules are tighter now

As I said further up in this topic, this time 12 months ago he was one of the form players in the comp leading Manly into the finals, was up for captain of the year, halfback of the year etc, now all of a sudden the team is losing a few and he can't play and is all the issue etc, overblown media hype as usual. Might have been an issue with the last generation of Manly stalwarts, but with the current group no issue, A fella I know in Oz was having a chat with a player from Manlys squad last season and he said DCE was the most popular guy in the squad, and the Trbojevic brothers have opened backed that up this week as well so I'll trust their judgement on this one over the likes of James Hooper and co who are banned from Narrabean. As I've said a few times, Cowboys are pretty much injury free, have both JTs on huge money along with Morgan just signing a big deal too, and are in the same spot as us, without the circus around them

Completely take your point. However, none of them treated the jilted club with as much disregard and disrespect as DCE did. His manager and himself were disgraceful throughout that whole process. Wasn't that him and Orr who tipped the media off about a meeting at Cronulla? Didn't DCE smirk and completely refuse to guarantee he was going to the Titans right up until the last minute of the deadline then backflip? That's all the memories I have.

I don't watch a lot of Manly but stands to reason a halfback on $1m could cop plenty for not being on less than Immortal form every week, even with a bog average side around him. Part of the territory, and the fact he appears to be a class A merkin and has a prickly relationship with the media doesn't help.

The Cows aren't in the Sydney market, they're never going to wear criticism like Manly or another Sydney based team will. You're 100% right but their climate is different, media can't go hard on them over there because they have a more intimate relationship with the players/club, whereas Sydney media can go hard as they want with the knowledge they won't lose access.