What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

OldPanther

Coach
Speaking of Stats! How bloody bad was RCG on the weekend! He only ran for 68metres!!, which I’m reliably informed is how you judge a front rowers performance... what a plodder!! I hope he gets a rev up at training! :thinking::thinking::thinking:

You're referring to the Tamou argument. RCG was a beast in defence so made up for it. Tamou has trouble cracking 100m without rushing in defence and when we have a decent amount of possession.

mxlegend99

Referee
Speaking of Stats! How bloody bad was RCG on the weekend! He only ran for 68metres!!, which I’m reliably informed is how you judge a front rowers performance... what a plodder!! I hope he gets a rev up at training! :thinking::thinking::thinking:
In probably his worst gsme ever for metres gained he still ran for more metres than our superstar front rower Tamou. Look at match threads... he's copping it from lots of people and I just ignore him now.

Although RCG is definitely not in peak form right now. He's also getting less minutes now. He should be playing 60 and he only got 46 against Eels. He's ferocious in what he does though.

OldPanther

Coach
It’s not just the Tamou argument dude, it’s how you judge front rowers.

I spoke about what Tamou does in defence and you dismissed it.

Good players don’t always look good on NRL.com. Maloney is a great example.

What is it Tamou does in defence? It certainly isn't close to what RCG was doing against Eels.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
What is it Tamou does in defence? It certainly isn't close to what RCG was doing against Eels.

He leads the defence when he’s on the field, he’s line speed and fitness is awesome, watch how quickly he gets up and back on side. Effort on effort, misses very few as well.

RCG is very good, but he’s not as good as Tamou.

OldPanther

Coach
He leads the defence when he’s on the field, he’s line speed and fitness is awesome, watch how quickly he gets up and back on side. Effort on effort, misses very few as well.

RCG is very good, but he’s not as good as Tamou.

I'm gappy to see his upside. Gets a quick play the ball and does make a lot of effort in defence but I really don't think he's better than RCG anymore.

snickers007

Juniors

This simply isn't true. Tamou has started twice, here are his defensive numbers:
  • Rnd 1: 48mins, 39 tackles, 2 missed (95% efficiency)
  • Rnd 2: 49 mins, 34 tackles, 1 missed (97%)

Compared to Campbell-Gillard, who has started 4 games
  • Rnd 2: 57 mins, 32 tackles, 3 missed (91%)
  • Rnd 3: 53 mins, 28 tackles, 3 missed (90%)
  • Rnd 4: 54 mins, 27 tackles, 2 missed (93%)
  • Rnd 5: 46 mins, 32 tackles, 4 missed (89%)

And even overall, despite playing an average of 10mins less, Tamou is making more tackles, and missing less.
  • Tamou: 43.2 mins, 29.6 tackles, 0.6 missed (98%)
  • RCG: 54.4 mins, 29 tackles, 3 missed (91%)

Even with in attack Tamou is holding his own, running for 9.82m per run, compared to RCGs 9.92m.

mxlegend99

Referee
Our pack is ontop when RCG is on the field. It falls behind when Tamou is.

Tamou is soft as f**k in everything he does. He makes the tackle but concedes lots of metres while doing so. RCG stops guys in their tracks.

Every game this year momentum shifts depending on who's on the firld and we always have better momentum with RCG. We are ontop with him. Whether he starts or cones from the bench. Momentum is with him.

betcats

Referee
Forgetting what he is getting paid I think Tamou has been good. He is what he is at this point, defensively he is a rock that is for sure if you cant credit him for that you are watching him with blinkers on.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I'm gappy to see his upside. Gets a quick play the ball and does make a lot of effort in defence but I really don't think he's better than RCG anymore.

RCG is probably in the top 2 or 3 props, I’m not saying Tamou is better than him. RCG is a jet!

ACTPanthers

Bench
Forgetting what he is getting paid I think Tamou has been good. He is what he is at this point, defensively he is a rock that is for sure if you cant credit him for that you are watching him with blinkers on.

As much as I think the Tamou signing was a mistake, this is 100% true - He's been solid so far this season. Not a world beater by any stretch, but a solid prop to come off the bench.

Abacus

Juniors
The other thing Tamou is good at defensively is slowing the tackle - keeps the player on his feet, wraps him up, puts him to the ground slowly and then laying on the tackled player.

I've seen it a number of time this year and it gives our defensive line another second or 2 to make their ground. Doesn't make as many highlight reels as RCG but his teammates would appreciate his work.

franklin2323

Immortal
The other thing Tamou is good at defensively is slowing the tackle - keeps the player on his feet, wraps him up, puts him to the ground slowly and then laying on the tackled player.

I've seen it a number of time this year and it gives our defensive line another second or 2 to make their ground. Doesn't make as many highlight reels as RCG but his teammates would appreciate his work.

McKendry does that well too. RCG does need to find form at some stage hopefully this week

He needs to stop giving away silly penalties