What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freeing up cap room for season 2018

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Clark just resigned late last year. It'd be stupid to move him on. He does his job consistently, seems popular within the playing group, is a complete professional. It's not so easy to 'move a player to england' as the English salary cap is a lot lower comparatively to the nrl then it used to be and they have strict marquee systems. People say contracts are easy to break in modern nrl, but if a player doesn't want to go he doesn't have to, so unless he could somehow get a better deal somewhere else, moving him on would probably mean wed have to pay part of his contract like we had to for grant and mcqueen.

It would probably be a stupid thing to do as we have so many off contract players we could just choose not to resign plus there will be a cap increase.
Tyrell, Nielsen, Kelly, Rochow, Cherrington, one of Gray/Goodwin or even both and even Sutton are all off contract.

I see what your saying but you're basically assuming Clark wants to stay in Australia where in England he can not only play till his older but he can get more $$$ over there. Contracts do mean nothing these days. If Clark wants to leave to take a better offer he will leave nothing can stop that. I have full respect for Clark as a player, especially the way his turned up this year and improved in my opinion. I don't mind whether he leaves or goes but ultimately he will do what's best for him and his family.

I would assume almost everyone is getting downgraded contracts because to be fair no one deserves to be paid more or even the same on current form. Especially the Burgess twins.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I see what your saying but you're basically assuming Clark wants to stay in Australia where in England he can not only play till his older but he can get more $$$ over there. Contracts do mean nothing these days. If Clark wants to leave to take a better offer he will leave nothing can stop that. I have full respect for Clark as a player, especially the way his turned up this year and improved in my opinion. I don't mind whether he leaves or goes but ultimately he will do what's best for him and his family.

I would assume almost everyone is getting downgraded contracts because to be fair no one deserves to be paid more or even the same on current form. Especially the Burgess twins.

Contracts still mean a lot. You can't break a contract without both parties agreeing to it. There are ways around it, but unless both parties agree to it it has to be enforced.
If clark gets a better offer for next year, souths don't have to let him go. If souths, for whatever reason, want to keep him then there is nothing clark can do.
On the flipside if the club wants Clark to go but he, for whatever reason, wants to stay then there is nothing the club can do about it.
English super league salary cap is £1.82m which is a little over $3m at the current exchange rate

Dogmatix

Juniors
You cannot free up cap space by getting rid of players mid contract as you still have a portion of the contract on your books but no player playing for the money. So it ends up a black hole in your salary cap

Souths signing Clark last season was madness. But now that they have signed him they might as well see the contract out

Souths continued the madness earlier this season by signing up Turner (who would not be in much demand) but not signing up Crichton (who will be in demand and I can see him leaving just like Nathan Brown)

Travitoh

First Grade
Crichton is contracted until 2018

I'd keep Clark around, he seems to be a true professional who is as South Sydney as any supporter can claim to be. He could play a huge role in introducing new players to the club and what it's about.

It sounds like a bit of a clean out to me which i believe is the decision makers conceding that we aren't currently contenders. Hopefully we sign some good young talent to decent deals that can catapult us back amongst the trophy chasers in coming seasons.

southsport

First Grade
There could be an interesting situation developing with AJ if today's tele is anything to go by, apparently he is open to any offer as long as he plays fullback, the problem as I see it is that I can't see any club signing him as a fullback.

DiegoNT

First Grade
There could be an interesting situation developing with AJ if today's tele is anything to go by, apparently he is open to any offer as long as he plays fullback, the problem as I see it is that I can't see any club signing him as a fullback.

Tigers and bulldogs would be his only options you'd think. Titans maybe if the hayne to eels rumours are true (but that would mean french and/or gutherson could possibly be free). Everywhere else would be set for fullbacks next year

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
That must mean AJ wants more money as well. It will be interesting to see how this develops I don't want to let AJ go but if that's how it has to be.

CAFPOW

Juniors

I think Fox Sports is hinting that AJ wants Fullback money while Souths sees him as a Winger than can play Fullback. Sure, AJ's got speed, but Souths needs a Fullback that has more than just speed.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Is it not outside the realms of possibility that now with GI injury and a whole yr passing by that AJ is signed as fullback and between the 2 it could be a similar scenario as the RTS and mini situation we saw a few years ago?

I still think GI can play fullback but the toll on his body seems to be mounting pretty quick. Centres is calling again, could lose, Neilson Goodwin, even Gray to up AJ's contract.

Let's be honest here guys. We've lost too many juniors over the years. We really shouldn't lose AJ too.

Pommy

Coach
Clark and Tyrell are most likely going to England if results don't improve. Since when have contracts ever meant anything in the NRL?

Why do people just assume players can go to England?
Both players are average plodders why would SL teams want them? They're not bad guys but they're not any better than younger players over there already.
Clark won't be going anywhere anyway. He's a squad player on a squad players wage shipping him out doesn't free up any cap space as he has to be replaced with another average player to make up the numbers.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Both players are average plodders why would SL teams want them? They're not bad guys but they're not any better than younger players over there already.
Clark won't be going anywhere anyway. He's a squad player on a squad players wage shipping him out doesn't free up any cap space as he has to be replaced with another average player to make up the numbers.
It's not like the old days of the turn of the century when super league teams could offer bigger contracts then nrl teams. At the turn of the century the super leage salary cap was competitive with nrl. They could offer players still in their prime contracts. Guys like Barrett, Jason Smith, Tonie Caroll, matt king, Lyon etc still had plenty to offer in the nrl (and those 4 came back to the nrl with some success) and while they were still rep players. But in the last decade the English salalry cap has platued while nrl has kept rising. The only blokes the superleague get now are guys who are well past the best, have been off the rep scene for years and will be unlikely to come back (like tonga, gidley) are over the hill like ashton sims or where sacked from nrl clubs like the 2 Carney's.

Just for arguements sake lets say clark is on $300k a season at south's. Thats currently just above the average wage right now and will be under the average wage in 2018 with the cap increases. If he had that same wage in England he'd take up 1/10 of the whole squads cap

alien

Referee
Wests Tigers probably would if Tedesco leaves.

alien

Referee
I guess it comes down to whether Madge plans on using GI at fullback next season. If he does then AJ should only be signed on winger money. If AJ leaves then just sign a solid first grade winger.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You cannot free up cap space by getting rid of players mid contract as you still have a portion of the contract on your books but no player playing for the money. So it ends up a black hole in your salary cap

Souths signing Clark last season was madness. But now that they have signed him they might as well see the contract out

Souths continued the madness earlier this season by signing up Turner (who would not be in much demand) but not signing up Crichton (who will be in demand and I can see him leaving just like Nathan Brown)
Yep it's a giant fug up if Crichton goes and I'll be livid.

Should lock Crichton down and the club shouldn't have rushed into Turner.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Average NRL players are top tier super league players? Players that don't perform in the NRL and go over to the super league usually kill it. The NRL is miles ahead of the super league in terms of talent. There are a lot of super league teams that could benefit of players like Clark and Tyrell just from their pure experience of playing in the NRL. Just like the a-league over here is the EPL's retirement league unfortunately for England the SL is the NRL's retirement league. I can see why a club in the super league club would pay Clark for more than 1/10th of their salary cap easily.