What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback Recruitment Hit-List

Talanexor

Juniors
Decided to make a separate thread instead of using the Broncos game thread - Shorty, if you want to bump some of those posts over here, go for it.

We won't have Bowen for most of next season, and we don't have anyone capable of playing fullback well at the clubnow that we've lost Tom Humble. I don't want to waste another season with Ty Williams or Ash Graham at fullback while we wait for Bowen to recover - 2008 was horrible enough!

As awful as it sounds, we might need to start planning for life after Bowen. He will have had serious surgery on BOTH knees and be 28 next year. I'd love to see him back to his best for another 5 or 6 years....but we need to be realistic - he may never be the player he once was.

I don't think we'll have room under the cap to sign a superstar fullback, even if there were many off-contract. Ideally, they'd be able to play somewhere else in the backline, so that when Bowen recovers (fingers crossed), we won't have a wasted signing.

Here's the list of off-contract fullbacks from other clubs from the Broncos thread:

Denan Kemp (Warriors)
Wade McKinnon (Warriors)
Chris Walker (Titans)
David Milne (Raiders)
Shannon Gallant (Tigers)

My original preference was for Denan Kemp because he's quick, agile, and is a proven finisher who hasn't been given a chance at the Warriors and who probably won't get a chance to return to the Broncos as they've uncovered some more great wingers.

Now my preference would be for Shannon Gallant. ESPECIALLY after reading this:

There is a post on the sharks forun called CHASE GALLANT, it has some links to some tries he has scored. One actually where he out paced Bowen. Shannon actually watches Bowen videos and tries to base his game on the same style of play....Have a look.

A fullback who can OUTPACE Bowen. A fullback who WATCHES Bowen and BASES HIS GAME ON Bowen.

He's unwanted at the Tigers and is considering hanging up his boots and joining the police force if he can't find another club, so we could get him very cheap, easily under 100K.

Is there a more ideal signing?

Cowboys Recruitment: PAY ATTENTION!

roopy

Referee
McDonnell hasn't been signed at the Knights for next year.
He was decent backup for Gidley this year.

StinkyPete

Juniors
I want gallant pure on his nickname Mighty Mouse :D also I think he's the most promising fullback in the bunch.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah definitely Kemp or Gallant.
We need a general backline overhaul - That means some decent back ups as well.

Smiley

Bench
If you want a Matty Bowen type player i would go for Joe Bond from the Norths Devils. I don't think hes contracted to the Broncos.

Also Quentin Laulu Togagae I reckon he's good enough for NRL level.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Ben Barba is off contract isn't he? He can play fullback.
Theres another option.
And I agree with Smiley. Bond reminds me alot of Bowen but I think the cowboys would give Bowie/Ulugia(spelling) a shot before him.

Talanexor

Juniors
Brenton Bowen

lol

I'd like him back, but as a winger, not a fullback.

Ben Barba offers heaps in attack, but his defence isn't good enough for first grade IMO - although a full pre-season under Henry and BJ could change that...our defence is about a million times better than last season, and the only real difference is the coach.

I'm all for blooding youngsters, but too often coaches throw them in for two or three games and then axe them, which really dents their confidence. 16 is too young for first grade. Which leaves Bond and Bowie. Does anyone really believe they are up to NRL standard? I don't know, I haven't seen a lot of either of them. If they are, then I'm all for it.

Right now I'd prefer Gallant over Kemp, because his game is more similar to Bowens and because Kemp has some serious defence issues which are hidden - sort of - on the wing, but would be exposed if he were to play fullback.

Reckon we could sign Gallant as a fullback and Brenton Bowen as backline depth? Both would be cheap-as-chips signings, given they are fringe first graders. Or better yet, Denan Kemp as well...

ozbash

Referee
Kemp cant take a knock, he's actually very wimpy . He'll get tackled and then runs around with the 'sore shoulder' routine.

I wish you guys would take McKinnon. Hasnt been the same since his injury last season.. would be a sort of square up for taking S Rapira off our hands.. I still cant believe that one...

Talanexor

Juniors
Kemp cant take a knock, he's actually very wimpy . He'll get tackled and then runs around with the 'sore shoulder' routine.

I wish you guys would take McKinnon. Hasnt been the same since his injury last season.. would be a sort of square up for taking S Rapira off our hands.. I still cant believe that one...

Haha, Ozbash - as soon as someone MENTIONS Denan Kemp you smell blood in the water...

I wouldn't touch McKinnon with a ten-foot pole, he's all yours. But I would take Hohaia in a heartbeat - why you're not using him at fullback is anyone's guess, he was great for NZ in the World Cup.

Sammut would not be a good fit at all. He sucked at halfback, he sucked on the wing, and he sucks at fullback, supposedly his best position. No thanks. I saw that grand final where he carved up a couple of years ago, but he's done squat since then.

Does anyone know when Esi Tonga comes off contract? He's another young player I'd love to see at the Cowboys, although not as a fullback.

Charlie124

First Grade
Id like to see us sign a bigger, more robust build of fullback like Josh Dugan. Gallant is small but i think he would still be a good strong signing. I dont want to re-sign Brenton Bowen, to me he offers very little and we have enough small backs.

cooba

Juniors
No way Dugan would play in a team coached by an ex-schoolteacher. As he says yes sir no sir three bags full sir.:crazy::sarcasm:

Buckshot

Juniors
Wayne Ullugia from the U/20's looks a good prospect but I think he's only 17 so doesn't really help in the short term .

Latest posts