What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Didn't teams have to commit to ANZ before they went ahead with the redevelopment.

In a manner of speaking.
The state government wanted a minimum commitment of 65 regular season games at Venues NSW facilities in order to realign their expenditure to suit the desired outcomes of NRL clubs. Implied but not official was a commitment of 10-11 games each from Souths and Canterbury to ANZ.

BlueandGold

Juniors
What's this business about Ausgrid no longer being sold off? Isn't that how we're getting funding for these stadiums?

As far as i can tell the block from the selloff is not to stop the sale but to change the terms of ownership from 51% of Ausgrid to 49% giving Aus control over the asset.

So instead of 14billion it will drop to about 10billion.

NSW minister Glades Berejiklian has said all promised Infrastructure projects will go ahead.

Ms Berejiklian said the events "in no way" hamper the government's promised $20 billion worth of infrastructure projects to be bankrolled by its electricity privatisations.

Mr Baird reassured the public the government’s election commitments of more $20 billion in infrastructure projects would still go ahead.

State Grid was rumoured to be offering up to $14 billion for the 99-year lease of 50.4 per cent of Ausgrid.

The NSW government is now expected to go back to the drawing board. Other bidders are more likely to be around the $10 billion mark.

Last edited:
I just hope in all this money being spent Dogs, Souths, Wests and eels all play 75% of their games at the new western Sydney stadium and give ANZ the bird.

If no money was being spent on ANZ that might be the case , but ANZ will be a far more commercially viable stadium than it is currently , and it's already the most commercially viable.

alien

Referee
I just hope in all this money being spent Dogs, Souths, Wests and eels all play 75% of their games at the new western Sydney stadium and give ANZ the bird.

No thanks. Sydney Olympic Park is the Rabbitohs present and future.

alien

Referee
Me.

It will enhance the visual spectacle and be good for the game if the pride of rugby league has the illusion of good crowds.

Rabbitohs are one of the most supported clubs in Sydney. I guess you could say we all get low attendances though. Maybe the problem is the NRL itself, including them having games on Thursday and Monday nights, and also some people just like to think the sport they follow is more popular than it really is.

Diesel

Referee
Any upgrade the AFL wants should be paid by them. I doubt the ACT Govt and more importantly the rate and taxpayers will want layers of government shelling out millions for 3 games a year.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's a funny read, all of McLachlans' goals are reliant on GWS saying successful on the field, even with the AFL stacking the deck in GWSs' favour it's still a precarious situation in my opinion.
And even so the Raiders and Brumbies have both shown that when they are going well they can both outdraw GWS.

If McLachlan was serious about being the number one sport in Canberra he'd actually have a team based in Canberra, and if the government and AFL fans in Canberra were smart they'd stop showing up to GWS games and demand their own team.
Unfortunately the fans are sycophantic followers of the AFL, and the government is run by one of those sycophants.

Vote the merkins out

Can't, ACT Liberals are worse then Labour in almost all regards.
It doesn't matter who you vote for you're screwed because the politicians aren't really there to represent us (the average public), it'll always be that way until someone is actually able to set up a centrist party that runs it's self on liberal principles and scientific evidence.

insert.pause

First Grade
Any upgrade the AFL wants should be paid by them. I doubt the ACT Govt and more importantly the rate and taxpayers will want layers of government shelling out millions for 3 games a year.
They already do, to the tune of $23 million! They are paying an afl team from "greater western Sydney" $2.3 MILLION A YEAR for TEN YEARS to play THREE GAMES in Canberra!

unforgiven

Bench
They already do, to the tune of $23 million! They are paying an afl team from "greater western Sydney" $2.3 MILLION A YEAR for TEN YEARS to play THREE GAMES in Canberra!

So in other words they are paying them $766000 a game to play in Canberra. Compare that to the $100000 a game ANZ pays for teams to play ANZ and that is ridiculous and almost criminal.

Diesel

Referee
The crater... can see a lot of money sunk into this with little return

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11847022

Jaw-dropping concepts for an iconic new national stadium have been pitched to Auckland Council, proposing a state-of-the-art arena be submerged into the city's waterfront.

A portfolio of spectacular designs can be revealed from documents delivered to the office of Auckland Mayor Phil Goff last month. The Herald on Sunday has obtained them through the Local Government Official Information and Meeting Act [LGOIMA].

Latest posts