What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Raiderdave

First Grade
The crater... can see a lot of money sunk into this with little return

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11847022

Jaw-dropping concepts for an iconic new national stadium have been pitched to Auckland Council, proposing a state-of-the-art arena be submerged into the city's waterfront.

A portfolio of spectacular designs can be revealed from documents delivered to the office of Auckland Mayor Phil Goff last month. The Herald on Sunday has obtained them through the Local Government Official Information and Meeting Act [LGOIMA].

jesus
now thats spectacular !!

Perth Red

Post Whore
As long as sea levels don't rise lol. Interesting idea building down, like a modern day odsal. Kalgoorlie could have a massive stadium when they've finished digging the gold out!

wibble

Bench
The crater... can see a lot of money sunk into this with little return

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11847022

Jaw-dropping concepts for an iconic new national stadium have been pitched to Auckland Council, proposing a state-of-the-art arena be submerged into the city's waterfront.

A portfolio of spectacular designs can be revealed from documents delivered to the office of Auckland Mayor Phil Goff last month. The Herald on Sunday has obtained them through the Local Government Official Information and Meeting Act [LGOIMA].

Would love it to happen from a selfish "look how cool that is" point of view.

But not sure how practical it is.

applesauce

Bench
O'Reilly said his ideas have not been formally costed, but conversations with industry experts have him adamant that digging down is cheaper than building up.

"From my discussions, because there is no need to build an above-ground structure, there are no architectural issues - or costs associated to that," he said. "It would be cheaper to significantly cheaper, and Aucklanders would love that."

WTF it is above ground though below sea level...

What does he think it will be have its foundations sunk into?

beave

Coach
In other stadium news, Watpac has been announced as the manager of the contracts for the new NQ stadium, major works will begin at the end of the year and it should be ready for 2020.... cyclones permitting.

I was up there a few weeks ago and in the below picture

A2D687C4-1783-4854-BF4C-487C2A0F4F33_zps2tgxp9i8.jpg

the area in blue are railyards, they have now been vacated, the latest stadium renderings don't really show much of that area but im 99% sure this area will be turned into the car park. For those that care, the area in red is where the stadium is going to be built.

As a rugby league fan that Townsville stadium is awesome

As a critic of government expenditure it's freakin terrible

$250m for a single use stadium is not how taxpayers money should be spent, but it's a marginal electorate...

Perth Red

Post Whore

$250m for a single use stadium is not how taxpayers money should be spent, but it's a marginal electorate...

But what about job creation, tourism economy, regeneration. You know the usual infrastructure development reasons they give.

But what about job creation, tourism economy, regeneration. You know the usual infrastructure development reasons they give.

Every cost benefit I've seen on stadiums is terrible.

Here's the truth,

It'll supply a short term job creation spike, looks like it's a 2 year project.

Long term how many people will this stadium employ? Full time perhaps 15 people to keep up maintenance etc.

Part time it will provide approx 250, 4 hour shifts, 12 times a year. That's the equivalent of 5 full time positions a year.

Only other benefit is to the surrounding district. This will be better than the current location because it's inner city but again it will only be marginal.

Let's say each of the 10 closest bars have to put on 3 extra staff to cater for the demand pre/post match. Say these are 6 hour shifts.

That's the equivalent of 1 full time job.

Accomodation I figure will be about the same, but let's throw in 1 extra full time job for the he'll of it.

Per year this stadium will create 22 full time positions.

But the existing stadium already has a maintenance &'grounds crew. Probably about 10 people.

And they already have probably 200 odd part time workers on game nights

So the extra jobs it will create? 7 full time positions.

Unless stadiums have several multiple tenants they are a complete waste of money for the taxpayer.

Last edited:

beave

Coach

I'm the same mate, but the situation up there is a little bit different to a lot of other places for the following reasons

- a massive amount of jobs have been lost in NQ/Townsville over the last 5 years (mines, QLD Nickel, port which have dragged the whole region down)
the city needs something to kickstart it along. This time last year I took a mate up for the Parra game and on the bus ride out to the stadium from the CBD along the main road, the amount of businesses and shops that were vacant along Ross River rd was absolutley heart breaking. My mate from the states that went up with me was shocked as well and he had never been up there before to see what it used to be like.

- there has apparently been a massive amount of other projects in the CBD waiting in anticipation for the stadium go ahead, this along with the stadium itself should help the local economy massively. The gov will get extra tax dollars through new buildings being built, more jobs etc etc so they will see some money back.

- the federal portion of the $250mil ($100mil) from my very afar understanding is going to have a lot of it spent on ammenities around the stadium. Footbridges, river beautifications, amphitheatre. Some will go to the stadium itself but alot will be for supporting facilities.

-unlike every other QLD football team, we were never given a nice new stadium at any stage from the state gov. We were given a disused harness racing track grandstand (the small piece of shit they broadcast from) and basically told 'here, make it into a footy ground but you are paying for it'. Locals donated construction gear and materials to the club back in 93-94-95. Once we handed back control of the ground back to the state gov in about 03-04, only then the state gov were prepared to do bits and pieces to upgrade it (lighting, extensions of all the upper stands, more concession shit). Compare that to Suncorp, Robina, Carrara, the people of the north are not 2nd class citizens and considering the level of support the club has, they deserve some decent digs.

- to continue putting money into 1300's is like putting lipstick on Aaron Woods. It's stil going to be a piece of shit. The only real way to move forward with it is to do something similar to wollongong with the western but we dont have a luxury of a second home ground (up to regular NRL standard) to play in for over a year while construction is going on. Cyclones/wet seasons can see massive cost and time blow outs as well. It's just easier if the club gets a new stadium in a far better spot in the CBD.

-the club is also commiting $10mil to this build as an advance on rent to help with the cost. How many other teams in the NRL can/ could do that?

Last edited:
I'm the same mate, but the situation up there is a little bit different to a lot of other places for the following reasons

- a massive amount of jobs have been lost in NQ/Townsville over the last 5 years (mines, QLD Nickel, port which have dragged the whole region down)
the city needs something to kickstart it along. This time last year I took a mate up for the Parra game and on the bus ride out to the stadium from the CBD along the main road, the amount of businesses and shops that were vacant along Ross River rd was absolutley heart breaking. My mate from the states that went up with me was shocked as well and he had never been up there before to see what it used to be like.

- there has apparently been a massive amount of other projects in the CBD waiting in anticipation for the stadium go ahead, this along with the stadium itself should help the local economy massively. The gov will get extra tax dollars through new buildings being built, more jobs etc etc so they will see some money back.

- the federal portion of the $250mil ($100mil) from my very afar understanding is going to have a lot of it spent on ammenities around the stadium. Footbridges, river beautifications, amphitheatre. Some will go to the stadium itself but alot will be for supporting facilities.

-unlike every other QLD football team, we were never given a nice new stadium at any stage from the state gov. We were given a disused harness racing track grandstand (the small piece of shit they broadcast from) and basically told 'here, make it into a footy ground but you are paying for it'. Locals donated construction gear and materials to the club back in 93-94-95. Once we handed back control of the ground back to the state gov in about 03-04, only then the state gov were prepared to do bits and pieces to upgrade it (lighting, extensions of all the upper stands, more concession shit). Compare that to Suncorp, Robina, Carrara, the people of the north are not 2nd class citizens and considering the level of support the club has, they deserve some decent digs.

- to continue putting money into 1300's is like putting lipstick on Aaron Woods. It's stil going to be a piece of shit. The only real way to move forward with it is to do something similar to wollongong with the western but we dont have a luxury of a second home ground (up to regular NRL standard) to play in for over a year while construction is going on. Cyclones/wet seasons can see massive cost and time blow outs as well. It's just easier if the club gets a new stadium in a far better spot in the CBD.

-the club is also commiting $10mil to this build as an advance on rent to help with the cost. How many other teams in the NRL can/ could do that?

I hear a lot of what you're saying, my main point though is $250m can be better spent by govt than on stadiums. Particularly stadiums with only one tenant.

I'm not totally singling out the cowboys, it's a general point.

You make a very fair point that the cowboys have been left behind by the QLD govt.

The NSW govt strategy for instance is much more mindful of the taxpayer's money.

If they made the field oval and had seating that could move back and forth like at ANZ, the Cowboys could buy an AFL and BBL franchise and utilise the stadium a bit more.

Heaven knows, FNQ is crying out for an AFL side.

beave

Coach
I hear a lot of what you're saying, my main point though is $250m can be better spent by govt than on stadiums. Particularly stadiums with only one tenant.

I'm not totally singling out the cowboys, it's a general point.

You make a very fair point that the cowboys have been left behind by the QLD govt.

The NSW govt strategy for instance is much more mindful of the taxpayer's money.

As I'm sure you know, Stadiums generally come under state gov juristriction but the QLD gov won't stump up the full $250mil required, only $140mil. If the feds and Cowboys didnt pitch in the rest, it wouldn't get built mate. With the rhetoric in the media about trying to help out northern australia by getting federal money to go towards major projects, if the fed gov didnt pitch in for this, then they would be called out and made fools of. The cowboys yes will be the main tenant, I have my doubts the A-league will expand up there again. Unfortunately the 2 seasons we had the Fury up there, were pretty much the last 2 wet seasons we've had and it really effected the crowd numbers. This is the problem with playing sports in summer up there, the weather can be massively hit and miss. There will be other events held there, concerts, the odd test match, the Reds might take a game up there.

The Titans are the only tenant now at Robina........

El Diablo

Post Whore
so will they get managerial rights like the Queensland Labor Government gave the Thuns?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ure-of-gold-coast-titans-20150224-13nxr3.html

AFL's Suns have long-term management rights to Metricon Stadium because they reportedly contributed $10 million to its the $145 million redevelopment.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...2cbc8856a7?sv=a61f3487d321841ede61344b12aba58

The deal is a big windfall for the Suns, who received sole management rights of the stadium as part of the deal for struck to carry out the $144 million redevelopment. As the AFL contributed to the construction, the State Government handed over management rights to the AFL, which passed them on to the Gold Coast FC.

That means any income generated, such as signage and food and beverage sales, goes into club coffers. The Suns can also hire out the venue in summer to cricket or as a concert venue.

But the easy cash comes in the naming rights. Unlike other AFL arenas with naming rights sponsors, such as Etihad Stadium, Perth's Paterson's Stadium and Adelaide's AAMI Stadium, the Suns do not have to share the income.

It gives the Suns a significant advantage over cross-town rivals the Titans, who are not direct beneficiaries of the income from the naming rights contract at Skilled Park.

Latest posts