What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Robert Tehve

Juniors
Given the crowd numbers not sure what the argument is at all for a new big stadium or even a smaller one. It looks like a race against Brisbane but SunCorp is not that big.

i can't believe that there was ever talk about building a 65k capacity venue at Moore Park, and releasing proposed plans such as building it on public land not belonging to the SCG Trust. f**king dumb in the extreme. what did they think was going to be the community reaction???

SFS needs an upgrade, but 35-40k is about right for that venue. It doesn't need to be bulldozed and replaced with a bigger facility.

I'm an inner city/west fella myself, and even I realise that funds should be spent on a Western Sydney facility. A 35-40k venue out there is absolutely important for both rugby league and football in the metropolitan.

Upgrade SFS.
Upgrade Parra or build a 35-40k facility further in Western Sydney with associated infrastructure investment to the venue.
Upgrade Stadium Australia to make it more suitable for rectangular sports. If it means reducing capacity to 70-75k, so be it.

Absolutely no f**kin' dome's on any facility. What a waste of f**kin' money. Ensure roofs extend to the pitch on any new facilities, but the extra cost of making them indoors is better spent elsewhere.

Any leftovers (there won't be after all the consultation and waste so common with govt projects) should go to any of upgrading the northern beaches (manly), southern sydney (st george and cronulla to share) and penrith.

Pommy

Coach
Good one champ. Centre of Excellence.Trust a bleeding Pom to note that.
I try to save ink when I'm typing,I tell my Irish mates.

BTW the way the Sharks have been playing to date ,maybe a church to confess their many on field sins would be a good idea.
"Oooh father I squirrel gripped another player'" I called an opposition a fat piece of sh*t,when I know he is really an obese piece of sh*t."

Ahh I should have guessed as most clubs are doing it.

Robert Tehve

Juniors
The ALP are experts at not doing projects look at their track record !
http://www.areanews.com.au/story/5290525/labors-anti-stadiums-bus-to-tour-nsw/

Labor's anti-stadiums bus to tour NSW

Luke Foley is taking to the road in a campaign bus to spruik NSW Labor's opposition to the state government's $2.5 billion plan to knock down and rebuild three sporting stadiums in Sydney.

The red bus - emblazoned with the slogan "schools and hospitals before stadiums" - left Sydney on Sunday for a week-long trip that will see Mr Foley visit the far north coast, Myall Lakes, the Hunter Valley, Barwon, Dubbo, Bega, Queanbeyan and finally key western Sydney seats.

"The premier just has the wrong priorities here," Mr Foley told reporters.

"It's just such a monumental extravagance to knock down an 18-year-old stadium (at Homebush). The Olympics were held in Melbourne in 1956 (but) they've never knocked down the MCG."

Mr Foley said he suspects Premier Gladys Berejiklian "will capitulate" and scrap the stadiums splurge at some stage.

More than half of NSW voters are opposed to the state government spending more than $2 billion to demolish and rebuild Allianz Stadium at Moore Park and ANZ at Homebush, according to a poll released late last week.

The ReachTEL poll, commissioned by Fairfax Media, suggested nearly 60 per cent of voters oppose or strongly oppose the plan.

Labor says it would support a "modest refurbishment" of the Olympic stadium at Homebush.

The Berejiklian government is also spending about $300 million to redevelop Parramatta Stadium which is due to be completed by 2019.

The premier on Sunday defended her government as she released three key reports on infrastructure, transport and Sydney planning.

"Our investment spend on sporting infrastructure is less than one per cent," she told reporters.

"We've already spent $111 billion until this point on schools, hospitals, roads and rail ... something the Labor party failed to do."

Ms Berejiklian appeared unconcerned about Mr Foley's bus tour which is headed to Lismore on Sunday evening.

"I wish he'd actually launch a policy," she said.

Given the crowd numbers not sure what the argument is at all for a new big stadium or even a smaller one. It looks like a race against Brisbane but SunCorp is not that big.

The crowds numbers in combination with the fact the facility does have issues (lack of female toilets, female change rooms, poor disability access, narrow walkways etc) are the exact argument for a new, smaller stadium.

A smaller stadium will actually help grow crowds, because it will provide a better atmosphere.

Robert Tehve

Juniors
Or we just retrofit existing stadiums ...... I agree they are not great stadiums but no one will build a small boutique stadium they would have to charge a fortune.
The crowds numbers in combination with the fact the facility does have issues (lack of female toilets, female change rooms, poor disability access, narrow walkways etc) are the exact argument for a new, smaller stadium.

A smaller stadium will actually help grow crowds, because it will provide a better atmosphere.

Or we just retrofit existing stadiums ...... I agree they are not great stadiums but no one will build a small boutique stadium they would have to charge a fortune.

Well that’d come down to the cost benefit of refurbishment V rebuilding.

It’s not as easy as you’d think to refurbish at 35 year old design. For instance women’s toilets. Back when the SFS was designed in 1984/1985, very few women attended sporting events, even less at football stadiums. Where do you create the room for the necessary toilets?

Let’s consider corporate facilities, which were an afterthought at the SFS and tacked on in the worst possible place, in the corners. How easily could of add proper corporate boxes along the side of the field, like they are in other major stadiums? You’re talking major engineering work.

Disagree on the need to charge a fortune for entrance to a 30k seat stadium as opposed to a 45k seat stadium at Moore park too. Reason being is it virtually never goes beyond a 30k crowd there, hell 75% of the time it doesn’t even go beyond 20k. The impact on revenue would be minor, in fact there’s evidence to suggest that crowds would go up in a 30k seat stadium & actually increase their revenue.

beave

Coach
Can someone retro fit this to turn it into an iPhoneX for me????

images

Ta.

Perth Red

Post Whore
hahahaha

seriously
you're just reinforcing how stupid you mongs are south of the border

as someone said
I want a reno on my restaurant on South Bank
& I want the Vic Govt to pay for it

would that be right ?

now clench your fist
upper cuts
rain them on your chin dopey

Wow, mong? Classy!

There a squillion examples of Govt at State and Federal level providing funding for private business. The car industry received Billions of $'s, Regional Development fund throws money at regional businesses, our State govt just gave away hundreds of millions of $'s of crown land to aged care for profit providers to build more residential care homes. Not sure where you've been but public purse money funding private businesses is nothing new!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Why aren’t the rl media people in Sydney talking up the need for new stadiums?

Media create the position that the public jumps on board with then the pollies follow public opinion to keep their jobs. It needs the sydney media to be talking upthe need for A new anz.

To be fair mate I think I've seen articles from a few RL journos - Roy Masters, Steve Mascord, even Buzz - there are a few more, I just can't remember names though.

It’s a shame Cronulla we’re so desperate for cash and weren’t able to get the developers to rebuild .
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/03/16/cronulla-sharks-join-forces-league-expansion-bid

Mate have a read of this. Its about an A-League Southern expansion bid which will play out of Kogarah, Cronulla and Wollongong. That is until they build a 30,000 seat stadium, which has been approved by council, at Loftus.
Loftus is in the Sharks are so if it happens you can guarantee they will be playing out of it. Which means they can develop the rest of the land. Maybe they knew that this was in the air so are sitting on a wait and see approach.
Also i might add, Illawarra/St. George would probably play out of it too considering it is 45 mins from Wollongong and 30 mins from Kogarah, and on the train line.

Suitman

Post Whore
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/03/16/cronulla-sharks-join-forces-league-expansion-bid

Mate have a read of this. Its about an A-League Southern expansion bid which will play out of Kogarah, Cronulla and Wollongong. That is until they build a 30,000 seat stadium, which has been approved by council, at Loftus.

Not quite. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Council hasn't approved anything. They can't approve anything that hasn't been submitted to them for approval. Standard procedure. Nothing has been designed, let alone submitted to them.
What they have stated though is that they support this project "in principal".
That's as far as this has gone.
We don't even know whether there will be a new Shire A-League team yet, because David "lazy arse protect my own job and I have no idea as a sport's administrator" Gallop, hasn't yet made a decision because him and his board are to busy struggling to actually fight off FIFA and protect their own positions and seriously over valued salary packets.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
"El Diablo, post: 12746356, member: 5179"

Youre on the LU forums where idiots throw around insults like monkeys throwing shit at the walls to see if its sticks.
Enjoy your time here.

Suitmans a f**king idiot.

Can't stop laughing at this - post of the year!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...t/news-story/8ae6e48f7415978fdd8f3c4367623f03

Allianz Stadium: Rugby league fans slam sad state of venue saying it’s time it was rebuilt

Sam McBeath, The Daily Telegraph
March 18, 2018 11:36pm

SHABBY remnants of electrical tape cover sharp rusty metal edges, concrete floors crumble underfoot and woefully inadequate amenities struggle to meet demand.

Away from the politics surrounding plans to rebuild Sydney’s sports grounds, this is the experience of spectators at Moore Park’s Allianz Stadium.

Frustrated rugby league fans at a weekend game at the 30-year-old stadium said its shortcomings were all too apparent and it was about time the ageing facility was rebuilt.

In some areas tape is used to hold together surfaces or cover sharp areas and the yellow safety paint designed to improve visibility on the stairs is almost entirely worn away in some areas.

Sutherland Shire resident and 17-year Sydney Roosters member Adrian Downs spoke wistfully of the modern facilities of stadiums such as the MCG or Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium.

“You go to the footy in Perth, Melbourne or Adelaide and those stadiums are just amazing,” the 57-year-old said.

“Their facilities are clean, the sound systems are up-to-date, the food is good, the toilet stalls are equipped with television screens — it’s just amazing. We need something like that here.”

Serious shortcomings were obvious at Friday night’s Roosters-Bulldogs NRL game.

The stench from overwhelmed toilets spread throughout bays 24 and 36, leaving spectators gagging.

The stadium’s large digital screens were clearly weather-affected and suffered connection problems, with images flickering and occasionally dropping out altogether. “They’re crapping on with all the politics, but they need to just do the right thing and fix it up, just fix everything up,” Mr Downs said.

Peter Thorne, 57, from Randwick said Allianz was outdated and unsafe.

“It definitely does have safety issues that need to be fixed up like fire prevention, the seats and exits,” he said.

Sport Minister Stuart Ayres said, “Sydney and NSW shouldn’t tolerate second class let alone being last,” and rebuilding Allianz would give Sydney a state-of-the-art facility.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian agreed with her minister, saying: “We can’t afford to fall behind because we have infrastructure that has long passed its use-by date.”

Hahah, i f*cking love the Telegraph. They really scrap the gutter with the "journalism".

Asking 3 fans to agree with you (without reporting the number of times you were rejected) does not equal the implicit "ALL Rugby League fans think X".

I like that they are actually trying to turn public opinion for something i agree with for once, but jeez they are a one-trick pony.

Latest posts