What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Vlad59

Juniors
I think it’s bizarre that you think you know better than those that have done the deals and saved the club and secured the future over the last decade.

Absolute keyboard hero who if placed in the same room as those that have made the big decisions and saved the sharks would likely sit in the corner and say nothing.

If they did as you and other have suggested (build the stadium first) there would be no team to play there.

I’m constantly stunned by posts in here and on social media about stadiums that are not modern. Sharks fans don’t think it’s up to standard either but throwing stones from the internet doesn’t make it fixed. You sound stupid and offended at something you don’t even physically experience. It’s akin to yelling at a guy who is eating MacDonald cos you don’t like a Big Mac.

Just shut up ffs.
That’s an amazing post. No doubt he’ll come back with more shit in response as he’s never wrong.

Wb1234

Referee
South east is a hotel. North east part of club. When it’s finished it will do very very well.
Se is near the entrance to the ground ? The hotel the arlc bought

which means that big unfinished monstorosity
Is a massive extension to the leagues club

siv

First Grade
Sorry for any confusion. I'm not saying they can't take games on the road, it's just a rough guide. Teams can take as many games on the road as they like.

It was mainly to show how teams like Bulldogs & Tigers could share a stadium, and Roosters, Rabbitohs, Tigers & Dragons could share a stadium and do reciprocal membership deals. So we'd go from 9 stadiums in Sydney to 6. Whilst also having those teams properly service Wollongong & Gosford too.
Soccer has other ideas

Eg they have taken control.of the SFS2 during their finals series

Canard

Immortal
I think it’s bizarre that you think you know better than those that have done the deals and saved the club and secured the future over the last decade.

Absolute keyboard hero who if placed in the same room as those that have made the big decisions and saved the sharks would likely sit in the corner and say nothing.

If they did as you and other have suggested (build the stadium first) there would be no team to play there.

I’m constantly stunned by posts in here and on social media about stadiums that are not modern. Sharks fans don’t think it’s up to standard either but throwing stones from the internet doesn’t make it fixed. You sound stupid and offended at something you don’t even physically experience. It’s akin to yelling at a guy who is eating MacDonald cos you don’t like a Big Mac.

Just shut up ffs.
Probably need to be a bit more resilient, if you're going to get so steamed about some nobody expressing an opinion on a tinpot forum.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Just shut up ffs.
ooh sorry for having an opinion lol
Maybe an internet discussion forum isnt for you if you get so upset by randoms sharing their opinions? Just a thought.

and re the sharks, what they've done is saved their broke arses by creating a massive long term comprise to the stadium that they need for the reason of their existence. If you're ok with that then good on you.
As Wb pithily pointed out my SL club did something vaguely similar in order to get a new northstand built and I thought at the time what a poor decision it was and its now coming home to roost as has compromised the ability to build the corporate stand the club now needs and is in a position to build.
Sometimes people make short sighted decisions that have long term unfixable negative impacts. This looks like one of them to me.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Maybe an internet discussion forum isnt for you if you get so upset by randoms sharing their opinions? Just a thought.

and re the sharks, what they've done is saved their broke arses by creating a massive long term comprise to the stadium that they need for the reason of their existence. If you're ok with that then good on you.
As Wb pithily pointed out my SL club did something vaguely similar in order to get a new northstand built and I thought at the time what a poor decision it was and its now coming home to roost as has compromised the ability to build the corporate stand the club now needs and is in a position to build.
Sometimes people make short sighted decisions that have long term unfixable negative impacts. This looks like one of them to me.
Sure it doesn’t have gold plated toilets but they own it and the leagues club is getting a huge upgrade

the developer exploited them hard but they were broke at the time and now have a solid asset base

it’ll look better once the leagues club is finished

you can’t beat having a leagues club next door to the ground not many clubs have that now

eels lesgues profits have gone up millions due to commbank

Vlad59

Juniors

What a spiteful old turd you are

Vee

First Grade

Barlow Park will be revamped as part of a $44m upgrade to the Cairns multi-sports venue's facilities.

Barlow Park will be revamped as part of a $44m upgrade to the Cairns multi-sports venue's facilities.

Cairns’ NRL dreams and hopes of playing a significant role in the 2032 Olympics have been bolstered by a commitment to fund a multimillion-dollar makeover of one of the city’s major sporting stadiums.

It’s estimated that more than $44m of state government funds will be spent upgrading facilities at Barlow Park, in a bid to attract more major domestic and international events to the region.

An exact figure won’t be determined until further reports are completed, given rising construction costs, a government source said. Federal government funding for the project has yet to be finalised.

Barlow Park will host preliminary soccer matches during the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.

Barlow Park will host preliminary soccer matches during the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.

The development will add momentum to the joint Cairns-PNG NRL bid and ensure the Far North benefits from the Games being staged in the Sunshine State, Tourism and Sports Minister Michael Healy said.

“The Cairns community enjoys an active lifestyle, and the city has long been a destination for elite athletes and teams to train in the Far North including the Australian Dolphins swim team,” Mr Healy said. “I’d like to see Cairns become a home for talented young athletes, in particular female and Indigenous athletes from across regional Queensland, and I fully support PNG’s NRL bid to base their team in our city.”

Improved infrastructure will enhance Cairns’ chances of becoming a hub for a future PNG NRL team with the advantage of direct flights to Port Moresby, mayor Amy Eden said.

“It’s an amazing opportunity for Cairns to play a role in strengthening the relationship between our region, Australia and PNG through a shared passion for rugby league,” Ms Eden said. “Residents may have noticed works to improve Barlow Park have already started with progress being made on a $10.9m upgrade of the lights to ensure they meet television broadcast standards, which was supported by state government funding of $4m.”

Under the revamp, Barlow Park’s seating capacity will almost triple from around 1700 to 5000, with improved amenities and better equipment for athletes and the public. Barlow Park is currently earmarked to host preliminary soccer matches with 20,000 spectator seats – 15,000 of which will be temporary seats – as part of the Brisbane Olympics and Paralympic Games.

Up to 5,000 fans will be able to pack into Barlow Park's grandstand once works on the venue have been completed.

Up to 5,000 fans will be able to pack into Barlow Park's grandstand once works on the venue have been completed.

“Hosting Olympic football in 2032 will be great for our city, but more importantly for Cairns, these upgrades will deliver a legacy our community benefits from both before and long after the Games have come to town,” Ms Eden said. “We welcome the opportunity to work with the state government in delivering these upgrades, which will result in a modernised and more spectator-friendly sporting facility, which retains the athletics track while having greater appeal to world-class events, carnivals, training camps, especially for sports such as rugby league, rugby union and football (soccer).”

In March, the Cairns Post exclusively reported on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s desire for a PNG NRL team to have an administrative base in Cairns.

During the local government elections, Ms Eden said she supported the city’s joint NRL bid provided it was cost neutral for council.

Works on Barlow Park are expected to be completed by late 2027.

Jamberoo

Juniors

Barlow Park will be revamped as part of a $44m upgrade to the Cairns multi-sports venue's facilities.'s facilities.

Cairns’ NRL dreams and hopes of playing a significant role in the 2032 Olympics have been bolstered by a commitment to fund a multimillion-dollar makeover of one of the city’s major sporting stadiums.

It’s estimated that more than $44m of state government funds will be spent upgrading facilities at Barlow Park, in a bid to attract more major domestic and international events to the region.

An exact figure won’t be determined until further reports are completed, given rising construction costs, a government source said. Federal government funding for the project has yet to be finalised.

The development will add momentum to the joint Cairns-PNG NRL bid and ensure the Far North benefits from the Games being staged in the Sunshine State, Tourism and Sports Minister Michael Healy said.

“The Cairns community enjoys an active lifestyle, and the city has long been a destination for elite athletes and teams to train in the Far North including the Australian Dolphins swim team,” Mr Healy said. “I’d like to see Cairns become a home for talented young athletes, in particular female and Indigenous athletes from across regional Queensland, and I fully support PNG’s NRL bid to base their team in our city.”

Improved infrastructure will enhance Cairns’ chances of becoming a hub for a future PNG NRL team with the advantage of direct flights to Port Moresby, mayor Amy Eden said.

“It’s an amazing opportunity for Cairns to play a role in strengthening the relationship between our region, Australia and PNG through a shared passion for rugby league,” Ms Eden said. “Residents may have noticed works to improve Barlow Park have already started with progress being made on a $10.9m upgrade of the lights to ensure they meet television broadcast standards, which was supported by state government funding of $4m.”

Under the revamp, Barlow Park’s seating capacity will almost triple from around 1700 to 5000, with improved amenities and better equipment for athletes and the public. Barlow Park is currently earmarked to host preliminary soccer matches with 20,000 spectator seats – 15,000 of which will be temporary seats – as part of the Brisbane Olympics and Paralympic Games.

Up to 5,000 fans will be able to pack into Barlow Park's grandstand once works on the venue have been completed.'s grandstand once works on the venue have been completed.

“Hosting Olympic football in 2032 will be great for our city, but more importantly for Cairns, these upgrades will deliver a legacy our community benefits from both before and long after the Games have come to town,” Ms Eden said. “We welcome the opportunity to work with the state government in delivering these upgrades, which will result in a modernised and more spectator-friendly sporting facility, which retains the athletics track while having greater appeal to world-class events, carnivals, training camps, especially for sports such as rugby league, rugby union and football (soccer).”

In March, the Cairns Post exclusively reported on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s desire for a PNG NRL team to have an administrative base in Cairns.

During the local government elections, Ms Eden said she supported the city’s joint NRL bid provided it was cost neutral for council.

Works on Barlow Park are expected to be completed by late 2027.
Wouldn’t like to be running in lane 7 or 8. Surely if they are putting stands over the athletics track you might as well move it to an oval somewhere? Or are these just very poor renders?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn’t like to be running in lane 7 or 8. Surely if they are putting stands over the athletics track you might as well move it to an oval somewhere? Or are these just very poor renders?
Looks like the bottom tier of seating is temp seating they can put in to bring it closer to the pitch. Not sure why the roof doesnt go to the end of the stand though? Maybe it is just a sht drawing.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Is a rebuild happening or just an idea?
For the Olympics will be a refurb not a rebuild. New amenities, media, corporate, catering, lighting, sound, access, etc. Similar to what just occurred at Marvel plus squeezing in a few new seats where you can without too much structural work. Same as the Gabba is getting.