What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

game vs scum

Old Timer

Coach
Cronulla played shit and still won and if they had played reasonably well would have beaten us comprehensively
We keep trying to find gem stones amongst the rubble
Mc Innes and Vaughan are the difference between this year and last as they have given Widdop what he needs "go forward and good service" and it's not Mary's coaching
This year with all players available we can win despite Mary but minus a few players Mary can't manufacture a win but people want to bask in the glory of the so called honourable loss.
A really good coach would have got us 2 wins in the last 3 games and that didn't happen plain and simple
Mary is a conservative and will never change and Coyne & Co also deserve criticism for allowing it to happen after such a positive start to the season
First real hurdle and we have knocked them over and losing balance quickly.
A well coached side with the ball and completion rate we had would have made the sharks into fish fingers

And it's around this time in 2015 that teams started to work is out. Mary was unable to adapt, improvise, coach.

Let's see how the rest of this year pans out.

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

Dragons 09

Juniors
Cronulla played shit and still won and if they had played reasonably well would have beaten us comprehensively
Mc Innes and Vaughan are the difference between this year and last as they have given Widdop what he needs "go forward and good service" and it's not Mary's coaching
This year with all players available we can win despite Mary but minus a few players Mary can't manufacture a win but people want to bask in the glory of the so called honourable loss.
A really good coach would have got us 2 wins in the last 3 games and that didn't happen plain and simple
Mary is a conservative and will never change and Coyne & Co also deserve criticism for allowing it to happen after such a positive start to the season
A well coached side with the ball and completion rate we had would have made the sharks into fish fingers

Hard to argue with a lot of that OT. Not sure about the Coyne & Co thing as i just don't think they have that much input into things (more of a myth than a guiding light) but the rest of what you say rings pretty true with me also.

Crush

Coach
I think there are a number of factors as to why the team is playing better footy this year. The addition of the players you mentioned, the form of Widdop, and the players seem hungry and motivated. That may come from Mary. It may not. But I am feeling generally very positive about the future. Its hard to watch sometimes with McCrone playing 7 but that is temporary.
I agree that sharks had an off game last night and still won but I don't expect dragons without widdop and dugan to win that game.
I thought we competed well all things considered.

kit66

Bench
- Josh Dugan out injured
- Gareth Widdop out injured
- Aitken goes off early in the first half
- Our 5/8 moves to the wing, wing moves to centre and an untried rookie takes the field at 5/8 partnering an incompetent halfback
- Calls going against us all game
- A try awarded after a forward pass goes unnoticed directly affecting the result

All of these factors and we only lost by 4 points against the full strength premiers.
Everyone is saying that we deserved to win that game.

That's a realistic summary of the game. Most important is that we're still in it and I'd say most of us are enjoying the footy again this year after a few very ordinary years. The most pleasing thing is that we have a lot of improvement in us. We're competitive even with our two best players out and no decent kicker ( general play kicking ). If Mary can fix our backline's attack and our right side defence we'll easily make the 8 or better. Our forwards are top 4 material and our discipline ( 33 from 36 sets completed last night ) is the best in the league, I hope we can build on that.

Crush

Coach
When you have McCrone as your starting 7 you are in trouble.
Exactly. We are essentially playing without a halfback. No thats not true, we are playing with the weakest halfback in the nrl. When Widdop was playing it was acceptable because all of the playmaking was done by him but now the ball goes to Mccrone on the big plays. Its a massive credit to the rest of the team that they are able to compete with teams with mccrone playing at 7.

mickeylane

Bench
We are punching above our weight - we undoubtedly have the best pack in the NRL and as of 5 minutes ago still the best attacking team in the comp!!

Stop whinging! im very happy with what the team is putting out...never complain when a a team is trying its guts out..

possm

Coach
After surprising everyone with out 'power game', we have now lost 3 straight. Let's hope we are not seeing the repeat of 2015.

Crush

Coach
After surprising everyone with out 'power game', we have now lost 3 straight. Let's hope we are not seeing the repeat of 2015.
After losing our most important player, our playmaker, our goalkicker, our captain we have now lost 3 straight.
THAT is the only reason.

possm

Coach
After losing our most important player, our playmaker, our goalkicker, our captain we have now lost 3 straight.
THAT is the only reason.
Gee Crush, what can I say. I suppose there is a slight chance that you are right and the Dragons won't continue their run of losses.

This season we have based our game on a 'power plan' and so far it's only our backs that have been injured. I wonder, what will happen if our forwards become injured or burnt out?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I agree mate....as I pointed out yesterday in my post even with our inept backline as it was last nite we had enough ball and Cronulla were crap most of the night we still should have won by plenty....I keep hearing blokes carrying on about our right edge and the Sharks should have scored more etc....the cold hard facts are we had 2 points on offering without Dugan and Widdop and with a bit of thought out coaching by Mary we should have won comfortably......I say thought out coaching because how many times did McCrone stuff up with his poor kicking options and gave Cronulla repeat 7 tackles......what was wrong with sending someone out ala Alan Langer with specific instructions to him to put the kicking options to bed and grubber to the sideline.....blind freddie could see McCrone learnt nothing from his previous shite house attempts..

Crush

Coach
Gee Crush, what can I say. I suppose there is a slight chance that you are right and the Dragons won't continue their run of losses.

This season we have based our game on a 'power plan' and so far it's only our backs that have been injured. I wonder, what will happen if our forwards become injured or burnt out?
If our forwards become injured then it is over.
The run of losses may continue whilst widdop is out. He is vital to our success given that mccrone is playing 7.

possm

Coach
If our forwards become injured then it is over.
The run of losses may continue whilst widdop is out. He is vital to our success given that mccrone is playing 7.
Yes now I can agree with you. I only hope we end up with a Widdop / Mann halves pairing on Widdop's return.

1st & 10

Juniors
Saints did alright against the peptide sharks.

However, refs and this rubbish bunker are determining outcomes of games on an increasing basis .

Refs are now game managers rather than authority figures. The calling out of player first names and the orchestral instructions have turned the game too ref orientated. Let the players determine the outcomes. This started with Sgt Harrigan

Ps . Can one team wear the same jersey for more than once ?

possm

Coach
Saints did alright against the peptide sharks.

However, refs and this rubbish bunker are determining outcomes of games on an increasing basis .

Refs are now game managers rather than authority figures. The calling out of player first names and the orchestral instructions have turned the game too ref orientated. Let the players determine the outcomes. This started with Sgt Harrigan

Ps . Can one team wear the same jersey for more than once ?
I agree. I am a firm believer in players being called out by their number and club. No names, no jokes and no advice. Most of all no back chat. Only the captain to politely ask a question.

I would also like to see team captains be able to ask for a review. If the review results in a favourable finding, the referee to reverse his decision. If the review results in a unfavourable finding, the referee's decision stands and move the mark 10m up-field.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
With Aitken, Dodd, Dugan, Glymin, Hutchison and Widdop injured we have no backline. Only decent backs
available are Lafai, Mann and Nightingale and the rest are rubbish. Mac Donald is hopeless in defence and has poor hands. Mc Crone is pedestrian and can not kick. The NSW
Cup backs are useless and the Under 20's are too young.

Latest posts