Gareth Widdop Appreciation

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by thebigredv, Jul 15, 2017.

1. monsterkev

monsterkev Juniors

2. monsterkev

monsterkev Juniors

It always comes back to the fact we lost a game we should have won yet again and this trend will continue because we don't know how to win
    This team has no heart

3. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

Just because Widdop's abilities as a captain and game manager are questioned doesn't amount to vitriol. The problem is not just the rushed attempt at field goal, it was also the pass that led to the intercept, the inability to close out the game, the poor way the team was moved around to get into position for a field goal, the repeat sets were good but on at least two occasions it looked like there was a try on, the poor long cut out passes to the winger, the poor attacking kicks.

Yes I will admit there are good things in his play but in general as the playmaker he is too inconsistent in producing the right options.

dragonreddy, Crush and Life's Good like this.
  4. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Juniors

If there are inconsistencies in Widdop's abilities, it is because he tries too hard, and this comes down to having a non functioning halfback who doesn't offer any respite.

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  5. 1st & 10

1st & 10 Juniors

Widdop, like all playmakers is most effective holding the ball with both hands and not crabbing across field. That's half the problem with today's so-called playmakers

Widdop has the vision and field awareness required once the cob webs are filtered out by a good coach

6. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Juniors

Widdop is a good solid first grade 5/8
    I don't think he is much more than that, he goes missing too much during games and for certain parts of the season.
    We need him to be able to lead the team in tight contests, he doesn't do that often enough.

dragonreddy likes this.
  7. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

I'm sorry but he has had a number of halfbacks and the results have always the same, except for at the Storm with Cronk who ran the show. If anything I believe he makes it difficult for his halfback by wanting to be the man but not delivering.

dragonreddy and watatank like this.
  8. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Calling the blokes that have worn the number 7 in the past few years "halfbacks" is a bit of a stretch.

dragonssamy61 and ALSGI like this.
  9. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

He has played with at least 6 genuine halfbacks since coming to the Dragons, Benji was an exception. The problem is Widdop should just be part of the orchestra not the conductor.

watatank likes this.
  10. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

I agree that should be his role, but when our halfbacks aren't doing their job, it falls on Widdop to fill the gap. Can't wait for hunt to arrive to see if it makes a difference.

I'm curious who you think these 6 genuine halfbacks are?

11. watatank

watatank Coach

The best halves can play both 6 and 7. There are a lot of players out there who are considered five eighths but are asked to play halfback and do fine. Foran did fine for Parra last year (on field), Norman was asked to do the job for Parra and does fine. Moses plays halfback for Parra now even though he was known as a 6. Sezer moved to halfback at Canberra after playing 6 at the Titans, Maloney played halfback in Game 3 last season in Origin. Morgan is now asked to play halfback for North QLD. Widdop to me has limitations here that's why we are getting hunt.

dragonssamy61 and Crush like this.
  12. possm

possm First Grade

Widdop to fullback, Mann and Hunt in the halves.

Overseas dragon likes this.
  13. Lovemedragons

Lovemedragons Juniors

Agree but they have less brains than they have heart.

14. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

I totally agree possum Gareth tends to go to sleep sometimes but at fullback he will be able to pick his moment and leave it to hunt to run the ship with Kurt also picking his time to run might be a .masterstroke

15. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

Possm
    I see what you are saying.
    But to me tommo would be the man for the job.
    What do you think

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    ALSGI likes this.
  16. Crush

Crush Juniors

What makes you think Mann is a 6 Poss?

17. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

And as they say in the classics I'm entitled to my opinion even if you don't agree with it .THATS WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR. Express an opinion I think some of you guys get your nickers in a bunch when somebody says something you don't agree with .I for one have been known to f**k up badly and I'm happy to admit it so let's lighten up and hear the other guys opinion

ALSGI likes this.
  18. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

With a confident half back in hunt calling the shots the five eight can be someone who can take on the line when he sees an opportunity .Kurt Mann may or may not be the one but it's certainly worth a try even if Charity shield and trials not just 1 game .having a coach with a bit of vision would certainly help.something the BIG RED V don't have.

19. mobels

mobels Juniors

Widdop's been one of the form 5/8th's in the whole competition, it would be idiotic to move him to accomodate Kurt Mann. Widdop will be even better next year when he's not expected to do everything himself.

Dufty should be the fullback next year and Mann is perfect as the bench utility because he can play every position from 1-7.

20. monsterkev

monsterkev Juniors

He's been out of form since he came back from injury so at the momoent he is nowhere near being a good 5/8

dragonreddy and Carlton like this.