What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geelong

AuckMel

Bench
Gee whizz. Who'd have thought they'd be unbeaten at this stage of the season? Very good tonight against the most boring, negative side in the comp.

Sensational coaching effort by, Chris Scott too. They look the team to beat.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Gee whizz. Who'd have thought they'd be unbeaten at this stage of the season? Very good tonight against the most boring, negative side in the comp.

Sensational coaching effort by, Chris Scott too. They look the team to beat.

:D

and they've done it playing all the top teams away and only 3 games at home, while the pies have played every one of their 11 games at home and only 3 of last years top 8 teams

its unbelievable how much of a leg up they get

roboshark

Coach
they should of lost to Carlton...Warnock missed a kick in front in last 2 mins and cats won by 3

dont write off the mighty blues

roboshark

Coach
True...they are playing great football although I still think any of them , pies and blues can win it

Noone else

RedVDave

First Grade
I to believe the Blues can go all the way this year the key factor being that Chris Judd stays fit.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, there are 4 teams in it at this stage, still a long way to go

Evenflow

Bench
As mentioned you'd have to say it's only out of 4 teams that can/will win it. Pies are still the team to beat though IMO, they've been going through the motions and they're still a fair way off their peak IMO. They'll reach that at the business end of the season and will be there on the last day, it's only a matter of who they'll be against and i think that'll be the Cats with the Pies getting up.

That said there's a long long way to go and anything can happen with injuries/form etc but even so i'm still pretty confident that's how it'll pan out, the only thing that may change is who the Pies will play in the GF. Time will tell whoever it'll be.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pies haven't really been tested yet, they play away this weekend for the first time this season.

Evenflow

Bench
Travelling on the road holds no fear for the Pies having having won 14 on the road in the past 4 seasons and only losing 2. I think they'll beat Sydney comfortably tonight, they have the wood on them winning the last 9 games against them with 5 of those games being up there.

The much bigger test will be next week against the Hawks who have really troubled Collingwood in recent years.

CyberKev

Staff member
Geelong are going well, but have had a fab injury run and have been going at 100%.
Will finish top two with 1-2 losses (West Coast and Collingwood in round 24, assuming the Pies aren't just easing through that round), but unlike their key rivals, do not have any lift in them for the finals. May not need it, if they stay healthy and their opponents lose key personnel. Better hope that Ottens stays fit for the campaign though, as they can't afford to be without him in cauldron games.

Collingwood remains the best side in the competition, despite affording itself the luxury of some experimentation. Unlike Geelong, the Magpies have another gear to go up come finals time. Worst case scenario would appear to be a two loss H&A season, should they go down to Geelong again in round 24. Will hope that Jolly can come up when it matters and wouldn't want to take too many personnel hits down back, but look good things for back-to-back.

Carlton have been better than I was expecting. Have come on well since the loss to Collingwood and were very stiff against Geelong. Unlike the Cats, the Blues still have upside, but whether they have enough in them this year will have to wait until finals time to be decided. I'm not sure they do, but a good finals hit out would have them well positioned for 2012.

Hawthorn are off the pace of the others, but are also undergoing the most marked change. Mass infusion of younger types may begin to tell as the season winds down and have already exceeded their quota of key personnel hits. Will be hoping to squeeze into fourth for a finals campaign, which will be beyond their current capabilities, but much like Carlton, will augur well for 2012.

West Coast is the only side I can see breaking into the top four. I expect they'll lose to Carlton this weekend, which will see them 2 games and percentage out of fourth, but they should finish out the year well. Will be a big challenger in 2012, but probably a year too soon at the moment.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Collingwood remains the best side in the competition, despite affording itself the luxury of some experimentation

You may not follow Cats closely but they never have the same team 2 weeks in a row and have had a very high player rotation, not sure of Scott knows what his strongest team is yet.

Our current injury and suspension list is quiet high and at least 2 players are rested each week, dont think they be resting anyoen tomorrow however except perhaps for Bartell. They will struggle with numbers tomorrow.

Round 24 will be interesting.

CyberKev

Staff member
Geelong have had the best run of any side in the competition across this season, which has allowed them the luxury of resting 1-2 players across most rounds.

Over the past fortnight they've taken a few minor injury and suspension hits, which looks bad, because they've had such few problems across the year to date, but still has them going into this round with only West Coast and St Kilda better positioned in missing personnel terms.

Looking at Geelong's key players in 2011...

Scarlett has missed 1 game for the season;
Ling has missed 2 games;
Corey hasn't missed a game;
Enright has missed 1 game;
Chapman has missed 2 games;
Bartel misses his first game this week;
Kelly hasn't missed a game;
Johnson has missed 1 game;
Ottens has missed 1 game;
Selwood is about to miss his 3rd game, with 2 to come;
Varcoe has played every game;
Taylor has missed 1 game;
Podsiadsly has missed 1 game;

Essentially, Geelong's top 13 players have missed a combined total of 13 matches across the season, with 90% of these misses due to careful and staggered resting. It basically amounts to Geelong entering each game less 1 of its top 13 players (often of its own volition).

That's a sensational outcome, that other clubs would kill for. They'll be missing Selwood and hoping that Bartel's problem doesn't expand out, but they're a long way short of experiencing any real adversity.

This calculated resting program shows Scott is very confident as to what his best side is, with his only real structural concern, as I see it, being CHF.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pods is a lock in a CHF.

Thats still a fair amount of rotation when you consider we did it against all of last seasons top 8 teams and beat them all away.

We've got a pretty easy run now till about round 22 as we've already played all the top teams.

One thing that I like that Scott has done which Bomber never did, is play so many youngsters and first year players and its paying off big time. Very impressed with some of our rising stars. Menzel actually got the RS nomination last weekend.

Evenflow

Bench
Round 24 will be interesting.

I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong it'll be a cracker of a game and will be a finals like atmosphere and no doubt both would like to win it, but unless a victory is absolutely crucial in regards to ladder positions, who/where they'll play in week 1 i doubt very much either side will show their cards too early. The GF isn't won in round 24.

Some might argue that the winner might strike a "psychological" blow to the loser but i think both clubs are more than experienced enough to know it won't make no difference on the big day and providing injuries are kind to both they don't meet each other beforehand in the finals they'll both be there on the last day.

roboshark

Coach
what do you think the 8 will finish like...for me

cats
pies
blues
hawks
eagles
swans
saints
demons/dockers

Latest posts