What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

franklin2323

Immortal
He's gone missing at the same time Jimmy is back in 2017 form. When Maloney is having a bad game Nathan needs to have the confidence to tell him to get the f**k out of the way.

Maloney said he did his back 10 mins into the game last week. That is when the other half should step up. It is what good partnerships do

Whino

Bench
thought's on Cleary's last two games since his Origin debut....

he's looked a shadow of the player he can be IMO (granted the clutch Field goal & the set up for the Phillips gimme try that he gave up), Cleary has looked really off, should we be concerned ???

hopefully NSW winning Game 2 gives him more confidence and no worry/concern on his mind that NSW failed to wrap up another series early...

Tbh I thought both halves have been ordinary since origin. I expected it against Canberra but I was disappointed the following week against the chooks.

martielang

Bench
People are reading way too much into it. They played poorly, not the end of the world. Every team / player goes through a lull during the season, they might just be experiencing it now.

We also just got beaten by a better team on the night, across the park they were better.

Kilkenny

Coach
People are reading way too much into it. They played poorly, not the end of the world. Every team / player goes through a lull during the season, they might just be experiencing it now.

We also just got beaten by a better team on the night, across the park they were better.

People expect way too much.

When two of the top sides play against each other what is the most likely outcome when one is at full strength and other other is missing half a dozen or more of it's best players?

Against the Roosters we probably didn't give ourselves the best possible opportunity to compete in the game but they didn't let us either and they were at full strength.

I am really concerned there may be more pain to come given our roster is decimated and the other sides in the top four and just below us are at full strength.

If we were at full strength I would be thinking we could be in with a real shot of the Minor Premiership but that boat has sailed and the reality of our predicament is we most likely finish out of the top four.

Pomoz

Bench
He wasn't allowed to, franklin. Yes Nathan played a sub par game, however, he wasn't that bad.
Jane, I'll say it again, he had 39 receipts of the ball, Maloney had 40. He had every opportunity to impose himself. Maloney admits he was injured and given his own struggles he would hardly push Nathan out the way to stop him trying something.

You just have to accept that Cleary is still a rookie and as he admitted, SOO drained him more than expected. This is a learning process for him and he will be better for it in the long run. However, we might struggle bit this year until he gets used to the extra mental burden that SOO brings.

You can't blame player B for the performance of performance of player A over the course of a match. To do so removes all accountability for player A and that is just not acceptable.

They both had stinkers. Neither of them can blame somebody else.

Last edited:
Jayne, I'll say it again, he had 39 receipts of the ball, Maloney had 40. He had every opportunity to impose himself. Maloney admits he was injured and given his own struggles he would hardly push Nathan out the way to stop him trying something.

You just have to accept that Cleary is still a rookie and as he admitted, SOO drained him more than expected. This is a learning process for him and he will be better for it in the long run. However, we might struggle bit this year until he gets used to the extra mental burden that SOO brings.

You can't blame player B for the performance of performance of player A over the course of a match. To do so removes all accountability for player A and that is just not acceptable.

They both had stinkers. Neither of them can blame somebody else.
My name is jane, not jayne. Cleary did not have a stinker of a game. He did not kick the ball out on the full. He did not throw the hospital pass, which led to a try to the Roosters. I have accepted that Nathan is a rookie, and that was my exact point.

Pomoz

Bench
My name is jane, not jayne. Cleary did not have a stinker of a game. He did not kick the ball out on the full. He did not throw the hospital pass, which led to a try to the Roosters. I have accepted that Nathan is a rookie, and that was my exact point.
My apologies jane, I have edited my post to correct my typo.

Pomoz

Bench
No shit, franklin. He is experienced, so he should not be making those basic mistakes, like kicking out the ball on the full, and throwing his hospital passes.
True, however he is human and they make mistakes, especially when they are fatigued and as it turns out, injured. I don't understand why you make it Maloney vs Cleary and blame somebody him for Cleary's performance. You say he didn't have a stinker, fair enough. Lets agree he was hardly sighted in the game. Neither half can play well when their forwards are dominated because they don't have space. That's probably unfair on the forwards, the whole team was off its game and we were dominated. The possession stats show exactly that.

franklin2323

Immortal
True, however he is human and they make mistakes, especially when they are fatigued and as it turns out, injured. I don't understand why you make it Maloney vs Cleary and blame somebody him for Cleary's performance. You say he didn't have a stinker, fair enough. Lets agree he was hardly sighted in the game. Neither half can play well when their forwards are dominated because they don't have space. That's probably unfair on the forwards, the whole team was off its game and we were dominated. The possession stats show exactly that.

Making mistakes and being invisible for a half is the same really. Neither put pressure on the other team nor helps their team score points. It was windy as hell so maybe Cleary's monster bombs could of changed the game, Though 32% of possession would suggest otherwise. Putting our loss on just Maloney is just dumb and proves people don't watch the game.

OldPanther

Coach
Making mistakes and being invisible for a half is the same really. Neither put pressure on the other team nor helps their team score points. It was windy as hell so maybe Cleary's monster bombs could of changed the game, Though 32% of possession would suggest otherwise. Putting our loss on just Maloney is just dumb and proves people don't watch the game.

Didn't someone post that Cleary/Maloney had equal amount of touches? They obviously didn't dominate our possession over their halves partner.

I thought that my comments were clear, obviously not. James Maloney is the senior partner. Nathan Cleary is still a rookie.

I can promise you, franklin2323, that I am not dumb.